U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What new Georgia Law would you like to see passed?
Other 6 33.33%
Fines against texting and talking while driving 11 61.11%
Require industries and businesses to recycle 4 22.22%
charge a deposit for bottles and or plastic bags 2 11.11%
ban styrofoam and other non recyclable material 5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM

198 posts, read 366,478 times
Default Georgia Laws

What are the new Georgia Laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:37 PM

7,682 posts, read 9,737,804 times
Georgia should pass a hands free cell phone law which prohibits doing anything with your phone in your hand while driving. That's a no brainer. Use a bluetooth headset or get a car with bluetooth.

I personally choose to recycle, but companies are fighting enough headwinds today without more onerous gov't regulation.

I lived in a state with a bottle deposit. It's only a hidden tax. Most people don't return their cans and bottles for the nickel. We recycled our bottles weekly but did not have the time to pile them in a car, drive them to the supermarket, and stick them one at a time into a machine (that was often occupied, requiring a wait), just to get back a few dollars a week. The state ends up keeping the money and it goes to more government waste. Deposit on plastic bags? I have never heard of that one before. Sounds a bit looney.

Ban styrofoam and other similar eco-unfriendly materials? Hmmm....that one could be a winner, provided some alternatives could be found and there were no onerous mandates from government that would cost the economy. The problem is that if you ban one materiall, there are many others that are then open to being banned. That's just not practical.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,413,374 times
allow sunday sales of alcohol.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 PM

734 posts, read 694,318 times
Sunday alcohol sales!!! I mean, it's okay for me to go to a strip joint on Sunday, get drunk off my ass, and drive home, but I can't buy it to consume in my own home?

GTFOH!!!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM

7,682 posts, read 9,737,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
allow sunday sales of alcohol.
+1

Old 07-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Blue Laws are stupid, and I think unconstitutional.. they are obviously on the books to appease religous groups.. aren't we supposed to have separation of church and state?/ Why not ban pork consumption at Friday sundown to saturday sundown??
believe it or not, in South Carolina it is still illegal for stores to sell non food or medicine items before 1pm on Sunday. Let's stop this madness.
As for Georgia alcohol laws.. I find it strange that you cannot buy a six pack of beer or bottle of wine at the grocery store, take it home and drink it in the comfort of your home on Sunday.. yet it is perfrectly OK.. to go to a restaurant on Sunday and drink all you want.. and then you have to still get back home.. isn't this mixed up?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 PM

9,125 posts, read 21,227,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Georgia should pass a hands free cell phone law which prohibits doing anything with your phone in your hand while driving. That's a no brainer. Use a bluetooth headset or get a car with bluetooth.
You will see this happen only when one of the prominent State leaders loses a loved one in an accident caused by someone who is talking and/or texting while driving. Until that happens, expect no real advancements in those laws.

Just yesterday, a coworker's Son was parked at a gas station, and looked into his rearview mirror, only to see a woman in her 30s trying to send text messages on her cell - while driving 45mph and not braking - behind him. She plowed into the back of his car, still texting, at that same 45mph. The car looks like an accordion. Very luckily, he wasn't hurt - he exited the car and approached her - and she was STILL talking on the phone. The police actually had to threaten her to get off the phone and exit the car when they got there, before she put the thing down.

Last week I was on Highway 278 and a driver was weaving all over the road. I thought she was drunk until I got close enough to see her holding her phone up as she too, was texting. The driver next to me had a passenger who was calling the cops and giving them the tag number.

I could give tons of lists of stuff like this I see almost every day. I would love to see fines in the many hundreds if not thousands of dollars for people who cause accidents because they're using their cells while driving. This one law alone in a year would make me happy.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 PM

45 posts, read 72,072 times
Governor sonny perdue signs immigration bill into law last april, the law will take effect jan 1 2010, and it will cut off all public benifits to them! This is great georgia!!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 PM

45 posts, read 72,072 times
The law will cut off all public benifits to iliegal immigrants!!!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:54 PM

How about just have a "Distracted Driver" Law.. instead of a separate law for every different beavior that can distract drivers. Reprimanding kids in the back seat "don't make me come back there" can be as much if not more distracting than using a cellphone.. what about eating a hamburger while driving or a donut? (I see that all of the time). The problem with these laws are that they are very hard to enforce. Speeds can be measured. Blood alcohol levels can be measured. But whether someone was texting is rather hard to ascertain. There are blatant examples, but most are very subtle and would be hard for police to catch, and much harder to prove in a court. I think the answer lies in better driver education.. it should be required before you can get a license. It is far too easy to get a drivers license to this state, far too easy. That's the main problem. Licenses should be harder to get. Driving on public roadways is a priviledge, not a right, but in georgia we treat it as though it is a birthright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia