U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 PM

49 posts, read 108,243 times

Advertisements

Can anybody give me information on Byron, Ga, Tifton, Ga and McDonough,Ga.
I am looking to move somewhere in south central georgia. If anybody could give me some suggestions of nice towns around there it would be great. I am looking for towns with at least some of the following criteria.

Good Schools
Safety (not overrun with crime)
Job availability and pay
Small town feel, but modern conveniences (Wal Mart, Lowes, theaters, etc.)
Cost of living
Plenty of things to do outdoors (parks, bike/hiking trails, etc.)

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 3,021,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermyst View Post
I'm curious as to how you selected those three towns, each near the interstate and each separated by about an hour & a half drive. Do you need easy access to I-75?

Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 PM

49 posts, read 108,243 times
Well yes because I am pretty sure that I will have to travel for a job.
Mcdonough because I stayed there on a trip and it seemed nice.
Byron because this was a town I stopped in so my daughter could use the bathroom and it also seemed nice.
Tifton because...well I'm not exactly sure how I came across that one.
I visited many little towns while I was down there and I am just looking for suggestions because you really can't tell what a place is like without actually talking to people who know about it or living there yourself.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 17,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermyst View Post
I am looking to move somewhere in south central georgia. If anybody could give me some suggestions of nice towns around there it would be great. I am looking for towns with at least some of the following criteria.

Good Schools
Safety (not overrun with crime)
Job availability and pay
Small town feel, but modern conveniences (Wal Mart, Lowes, theaters, etc.)
Cost of living
Plenty of things to do outdoors (parks, bike/hiking trails, etc.)

Thanks for the help!
Tifton has the small town feel. There is also a Walmart,Lowes, Lowes is next door to Walmart on HWY 82 W and a small theatre, Suntrust Bank, Bank of America among others. You can go to "tifton gazette" in the search area of your computer and read their local paper. There is crime and this town is known for drugs. The schools are ok. For woman with experience there is some jobs but if you don't have a diploma, and a degree without experience won't get you any where in this town. A lot of the industrial businesses have closed up within the past 6 months. People are out of work and a lot of the homes have went up for sale. The pay is defintely not good in this town. An office job pays between $5.50-$6.50 an hr. Some renys are cheap and some are not, according to what your looking for. Cost of living is a little cheaper than Florida but not by much. They have a few parks and good for fishing, not sure about biking trails. They are planning to build a skate park for the kids, but nothing for kids to do their except go to the small theatre, pub, small bowling alley or go fishing.They call that trying to keep crime down. During the summer it does get very hot. The winters are freezing, the last couple of winters the coldest was 18 degrees on occasions. Electric bills are around $300 a month. Hope this helps some.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:36 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 3,141,625 times
I currently live in Byron, we are actually trying to sell our home to move closer to Atlanta where dh is now working.
Byron is a very small town, the schools are good. You can look up the school's demographics, school testing scores, etc at schoolmatters.com. It is Peach County school district.
Byron is relatively small, does not have Lowe's, Walmart, etc. but we are in south Byron (off 247 connector) so it is a quick drive (5-10 minutes) into Warner Robins where there is just about everything. And of course, Byron is just south of Macon, where there is more of everything....

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM

111 posts, read 639,415 times
If you want quick access to Atlanta, go for McDonough - of course, it'll have the Atl. crowds.

Byron is really more of a sleeper community for Macon and Warner Robins. Warner Robins may be worth checking out, but it's not so small anymore.

Tifton is a town more independent than the other two you mentioned. I just don't know about the schools.

I think good schools are going to be your challenge in most south GA communities.

Would you be willing to give SE Georgia a try? St. Marys has the qualities you're looking for, but it's off I-95 instead of I-75.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 AM

34 posts, read 96,786 times
Default Small Community

Bonaire is a good choice. Small town, good schools, no city taxes in some areas.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 PM

3,463 posts, read 2,633,164 times
try Dublin, which is centrally located to all of the major metro areas of the state. It is an equal distance from Atlanta, Savannah, Columbus, Augusta, and Athens.

Here is a pertinent thread link.small towns in southern georgia
Attached Thumbnails
South Central Georgia-p1010329.jpg   South Central Georgia-p1010356.jpg  

Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,043 times
Try looking at the Valdosta area. Great little college town, but I think you would prefer to live in a small town like Quitman or Hahira which is only minutes away from Valdosta and all it has to offer. You are also only an hour or two from some grat beaches in Florida.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:56 PM

283 posts, read 836,394 times
I realize everyone has different experiences but I lived in Tifton off and on (6 yrs) while going to college in Valdosta and working in Douglas; I absolutely loved Tifton, made many friends there and would be one of my top choices to move back to. My other choices would be Valdosta and Thomaston but Thomaston hasn't grown enough to meet your shopping requirements. It is only just minutes (I think it took 20-30 min) from Tallahassee for great jobs, fun and shopping. I never heard that much about public schools in any of these areas but I know that the private schools are excellent. If you decide to further your education VSU has very proactive student/teacher relations giving you an unusually high amount of one on one time for any assitance needed improving your level of attainment or reteintion. I really like Byron too but from my personal experiences I think you would prefer Tifton. It is just more convienant for errands needing completion around the house. I currently have a home in Locust Grove, SW of McDonough, and it is nice but I'm looking to move my family from there soon myself because the growth is so fast and not well managed in my opinion. If you really want something closer to ATL I would just suggest Tyrone, Peachtree City or Tyrone in Fayette County. (Also Sharpsburg in Coweta County) All are located beside I85 and is only a few miles from I75. Schools are some of the best in the state and it certainly has all the shopping you are looking for. Everything in the ATL area is growing very though so unless you want that I would stick to areas well south of ATL and Macon/Warner Robins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
Tifton has the small town feel. There is also a Walmart,Lowes, Lowes is next door to Walmart on HWY 82 W and a small theatre, Suntrust Bank, Bank of America among others. You can go to "tifton gazette" in the search area of your computer and read their local paper. There is crime and this town is known for drugs. The schools are ok. For woman with experience there is some jobs but if you don't have a diploma, and a degree without experience won't get you any where in this town. A lot of the industrial businesses have closed up within the past 6 months. People are out of work and a lot of the homes have went up for sale. The pay is defintely not good in this town. An office job pays between $5.50-$6.50 an hr. Some renys are cheap and some are not, according to what your looking for. Cost of living is a little cheaper than Florida but not by much. They have a few parks and good for fishing, not sure about biking trails. They are planning to build a skate park for the kids, but nothing for kids to do their except go to the small theatre, pub, small bowling alley or go fishing.They call that trying to keep crime down. During the summer it does get very hot. The winters are freezing, the last couple of winters the coldest was 18 degrees on occasions. Electric bills are around $300 a month. Hope this helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia