Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM

119 posts, read 298,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I agree with Augusta....but..........with Columbus and its boosters.....nah

It's similar to a guy that's always talking about what he has, yet never seems to be able to prove it.

Columbus has a "SIGNIFICANT" amount of more amenities than Macon? Like what? Dont just say it....name what they are.....

lol It's not shopping, It's not dining, It's not entertainment, it's not historic sites or museums.....all of those things are either similar or LESS than what Macon has to offer.

So I just want to know what are all of these amenities Columbus has that just dwarfs Macon?

The fact of the matter remains...NO one can honestly go to Macon, then go to Columbus and say "wow....there's so much more of a variety of places to shop, eat out, and enjoy the nightlife here than it is in Macon"

so just name these amenities that Columbus has IN ABUNDANCE that Macon doesnt.......because I would love to check them out.
1) RiverCenter for the Performing Arts
2) Columbus Civic Center
3) National Infantry Museum
4) Iron Works and Convention Center
5) Columbus Museum (one of the largest in the Southeast)
6) Large corporate HQ's (Aflac, TSYS, Synovus, Carmike Cinemas, etc)
7) Fort Benning
8) South Commons

Macon doesn't have anything like that really. I don't live in Columbus, but I do know it has these places which I have seen for myself. I wouldn't say Columbus dwarfs Macon with it's amenities/facilities. It is just that Columbus's facilities seem nicer and newer. Just my opinion. I am just saying it as I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM

543 posts, read 1,316,691 times
King_X you may not like what about to say but it must be said. The only reason Macon have anything is because of it interstate access. For a city that has two interstate, Macon is really small and need to start stepping up to the plate. You claim to have like 20 counties in you metro in middle Ga but still cant grow pass Columbus, a city with no interstate access. Whats all this "big city feel" stuff you guys brag about. The interstate has nothing to do with your city, guy. All it is, is people driving from Florida to Atlanta, that all. Your downtown is nice looking but that doesnt make a city.

Columbus doesnt even have an interstate and you got 2 for crying out loud. Dont you think you should be competing with Savannah, another city with two interstate, by now? Dont Macon and Savannah share I-16? How about Greenville? They have 2 interstate also but for some reason they have a "bigger city feel" than Macon. I promise when Columbus get some better interstate access there wont be any comparison with the two cities anymore. I think you should stop bragging about how interstate make your city "feel" big, you are making Georgia look bad.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
2) Columbus Civic Center
7) Fort Benning
8) South Commons

Macon doesn't have anything like that really. I don't live in Columbus, but I do know it has these places which I have seen for myself. I wouldn't say Columbus dwarfs Macon with it's amenities/facilities. It is just that Columbus's facilities seem nicer and newer. Just my opinion. I am just saying it as I see it.
so Macon doesnt have a civic center/centreplex??

lol see, you dont get it. of course Columbus, Macon and other cities can have certain cities other dont have.

Things Macon has over columbus

1) Rich Music History
2) Hall of Fames
3) Larger and More Malls
4) Interstates
5) Better Clubs
6) Ocmulegee Monument
7) Tubman Museum
8) Cannonball House
9) Hay House
10) an actual skyline

we can go back and forth naming individual things each city has the other doesnt.....what I'm talking about is.....if Columbus is sooo much larger with sooo many more things to do in Macon....name what Columbus has in ABUNDANCE that just dwarfs macon and makes it better, more fun and lively place to live

You said "Headquarters".....true...Columbus has more than Macon......they also have more than Savannah too.....yet Savannah is a much more interesting town....lol...so thats irrelevant.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
King_X you may not like what about to say but it must be said. The only reason Macon have anything is because of it interstate access. For a city that has two interstate, Macon is really small and need to start stepping up to the plate. You claim to have like 20 counties in you metro in middle Ga but still cant grow pass Columbus, a city with no interstate access. Whats all this "big city feel" stuff you guys brag about. The interstate has nothing to do with your city, guy. All it is, is people driving from Florida to Atlanta, that all. Your downtown is nice looking but that doesnt make a city.

Columbus doesnt even have an interstate and you got 2 for crying out loud. Dont you think you should be competing with Savannah, another city with two interstate, by now? Dont Macon and Savannah share I-16? How about Greenville? They have 2 interstate also but for some reason they have a "bigger city feel" than Macon. I promise when Columbus get some better interstate access there wont be any comparison with the two cities anymore. I think you should stop bragging about how interstate make your city "feel" big, you are making Georgia look bad.

lol seems like you just want to be a Macon basher, for all the stuff you just said, I can ask you that if Columbus is so important........why doesnt it ALREADY have great interstate access, shopping, and entertainment options for its residents that other cities its size has. Shouldnt it be able to competeing Knoxville, Chatt. , Huntsville, etc. (it cant)

lmao "When" ..."If".......problem is its dull and boring now. Non of us know exactly for CERTAIN what the future holds, thats why they are called PROPOSALS

Also, stop trying to act like the "interstates" are the only reason I said that. I also mentioned the compact make up, skyline, nightlife, etc. add to making it feel "bigger"

I'm only saying these things in comparison to COLUMBUS, not true urban cities, which neither Columbus nor Macon is. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-28-2009 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 07:23 PM

38 posts, read 118,778 times
Columbus is the most backwards place I have ever been. Folks are behind in the times, openly racist, and the only thing people find of interest in the city is Fort Benning. Everything is else below average. These guys must live in a shell if they think Columbus is a nice place. For goodness sake please visit other locations!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
lol seems like you just want to be a Macon basher, for all the stuff you just said, I can ask you that if Columbus is so important........why doesnt it ALREADY have great interstate access, shopping, and entertainment options for its residents that other cities its size has. Shouldnt it be able to competeing Knoxville, Chatt. , Huntsville, etc. (it cant)

lmao "When" ..."If".......problem is its dull and boring now. Non of us know exactly for CERTAIN what the future holds, thats why they are called PROPOSALS

Also, stop trying to act like the "interstates" are the only reason I said that. I also mentioned the compact make up, skyline, nightlife, etc. add to making it feel "bigger"

I'm only saying these things in comparison to COLUMBUS, not true urban cities, which neither Columbus nor Macon is. Please do not put words in my mouth.
Macon has two interstates, why cant it compete with Greenville or Savannah even?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,367 times
Quote:
Columbus just has more to offer in my opinion. It has great facililities, amenities, etc. Macon does too, but it doesn't seem to have the same quality places that Columbus or Augusta has. It shouldn't because it is a smaller city than both Columbus and Augusta. Just my opinion.
It's hilarious how you keep saying that Macon is so much smaller than Columbus and Augusta when Macon was larger in Size and Pop that the proper city of them before the Consolidation. The Proper City of Columbus is only 42.5 Sq mil @ 79,000, Auguusta @ 47,000 and Macon is 56.5 at its peak was about 130,000 around this same time; but pop has decreased in Macon to about 97,000 because the pop has spreaded out to the newly developed area right out side of the City limits which is technically still considered Macon. Now Augusta and Columbus has consolidated oh people act as if they are Tampa and Orlando and Macon is Tallahassee compared.... Give me a break........ GABOY84 you go on and on about Columbus Has several amenities that Macon don't but you can never proved them.....In fact Columbus doesn't even Have a Kroger now how odd is that looks.......Also, Macon much more retail and shopping choices, 2 malls both including a Belks store and plus a Eisenhower crossing. Macon has Direct access to 3 major interstates, the 2nd largest hospital in Ga, Macon has several more big venues than Columbus including the Largest mixed use Complex out side Atlanta (the Macon Coliseum) which always host big name Events.... Macon has Several Projects under construction downtown , north Macon, northwest Macon and in south Macon.... I have already listed more in Macon than Columbus and thats not near a complete list. So tell how does Columbus offer any more than Macon......

I have also provided you a link to a forum i created which will give you an idea of what happening in Macon.....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...-retail-3.html

make sure you review this forum all the way to the last page.....

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Are you saying Macon is bigger than Augusta?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
2) Columbus Civic Center
7) Fort Benning
8) South Commons

Things Macon has over columbus

1) Rich Music History
2) Hall of Fames
3) Larger and More Malls
4) Interstates
5) Better Clubs
6) Ocmulegee Monument
7) Tubman Museum
8) Cannonball House
9) Hay House
10) an actual skyline

we can go back and forth naming individual things each city has the other doesnt.....what I'm talking about is.....if Columbus is sooo much larger with sooo many more things to do in Macon....name what Columbus has in ABUNDANCE that just dwarfs macon and makes it better, more fun and lively place to live

You said "Headquarters".....true...Columbus has more than Macon......they also have more than Savannah too.....yet Savannah is a much more interesting town....lol...so thats irrelevant.[/quote]

For you information Check out What Macon does and you compare to Columbus

Companies
  • GEICO Largest regional Corporate Office which Employees 3800
  • GA Farmer Bureau HQ
  • Allstate Claims Center
  • State Farm Claims Center
  • Ikon Regional Office
  • YKK
  • KOHL
  • Sara Lee
  • Tyco
  • Cox Communication Center
  • One America
  • Atlantic Southern Bank HQ
  • AT&T
  • Georgia Power Center
  • Security Bank Corp HQ
and More....................

Points Of Interest

* Ocmulgee National Monument is located near downtown Macon. It preserves some of the largest mounds in Georgia built by the Native Americans of the Mississippian culture a millennium ago. The park features a spiral mound, funeral mound, temple mounds, burial mounds, an earth lodge, as well as other smaller sites used for ceremonial purposes.

* Rose Hill Cemetery is one of Macon's oldest cemeteries. It is a popular attraction with many fans of the Allman Brothers Band, as two members of the band (Duane Allman and Berry Oakley), are interred there, as are many Civil War soldiers.
* Tubman African American Museum - the largest African American museum in Georgia.
* Waddell Barnes Botanical Gardens
* Hay House - also known as the "Johnston-Felton-Hay House", it has been referred to as the "Palace of the South"
* Sidney Lanier Cottage - historical home to poet Sidney Lanier[19]
* Neel Reid Federated Garden Club Center
* Cannonball House and Civil War Museum
* Woodruff House
* The Grand Opera House, home to the Macon Symphony Orchestra.
* Museum of Arts and Sciences (Macon) and Planetarium
* Georgia Sports Hall of Fame
* Fort Hawkins, military outpost used as a buffer between the citizens of
* City Auditorium, the world's largest copper dome
* Macon Little Theatre, established in 1934, the area's oldest community theatre producing 7 plays/musicals per season
* The Macon Terminal Station
* The Georgia Children's Museum [20]- Five Stories of interactive education located in the downtown Museum District
* Ocmulgee Heritage Trail -
* Cannonball House - Historic site[21]
* Georgia Music Hall of Fame[22]

Major venues
Macon City Auditorium
Cox Capitol Theater

* Al Sihah Shrine Park
* Henderson Stadium
* Central City Park
* Luther Williams Field
* Macon Coliseum
* Macon City Auditorium
* Cox Capitol Theatre
* Macon Little Theater
* Douglass Theatre
* Grand Opera House
* Mercer's University Center
* Macon Coliseum
* Theatre Macon
* Arrowhead Park
* The Macon Venue Project

Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
Macon has two interstates, why cant it compete with Greenville or Savannah even?
It Does compare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia