Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM

543 posts, read 1,310,213 times

Advertisements

Compare, sure. Compete. No way Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 PM

How about Montgomery, Al?
Metro of 470,000 w/ I-85 & I-65

How about Jackson, MS
Metro of 537,285 w/ I-55 & I-20

Looks like Macon can't compete

Old 07-29-2009, 03:31 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,065,131 times
Hot Mike, you make no point. Well, atleast when it comes to me, I think you are barking up the wrong tree with what you are trying to pull. I'm not here to lie, pretend, or overexaggerate that Macon can compete with ALL other cities. This is about Macon and Columbus, atleast as far as I'm concernned.

You posted Jackson, MS....sure..Macon cant compete with Jackson, lol but neither can Columbus. So whats your point? I guess you were expecting me to REACH for info to try and make a comparison?

What I'm pointing out is that Macon offers alot of amenities FOR A CITY OF 93,000-97,000.
Columbus should be embarrassed that a city with as small of a population as Macon offers similar or more amenities in most areas.

lol mentioning that Macon is not on the same level with a Jackson, Augusta, etc. does not bother me because its the truth and they are cities with over or near more than 100,000 people than Macon. What do you expect? ..and that's the point ...Columbus pop is double that of Macon, so you would expect Double the amount of amenities/accomodations as in those other cities with 170, 180, 190,000+ people......BUT....thats just not the case.

What gives??????? I dont see many people from Macon on here that try to "pretend" that Macon is as big and urban as places like Chattanooga, Augusta, Mobile, etc.
lol but, generally speaking, people from Columbus sure do, and that is being very misleading.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-29-2009 at 03:40 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 07:41 AM

53 posts, read 142,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
1) RiverCenter for the Performing Arts
2) Columbus Civic Center
3) National Infantry Museum
4) Iron Works and Convention Center
5) Columbus Museum (one of the largest in the Southeast)
6) Large corporate HQ's (Aflac, TSYS, Synovus, Carmike Cinemas, etc)
7) Fort Benning
8) South Commons

Macon doesn't have anything like that really. I don't live in Columbus, but I do know it has these places which I have seen for myself. I wouldn't say Columbus dwarfs Macon with it's amenities/facilities. It is just that Columbus's facilities seem nicer and newer. Just my opinion. I am just saying it as I see it.
Everything on your list is old news and it is kind of embarrassing that the school system is the biggest employer in town over those gigantic corporations.....rofl
Most of the above are empty 80 percent of the time
Carmike???

Last edited by Waltersplace; 07-29-2009 at 07:56 AM..

Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM

with all your amenities/accomodations & interstate you still not growing. You all the thing that Jackson got but still no cigar, thats all. BTW I never been to Columbus, I just got tired of all the bashing on it.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM

726 posts, read 2,808,680 times
The funny thing with Macon against the mid size cities of the south, is so funny to me. People on hear act as if Augusta, Charleston, Montgomery, Jackson, Greenville and Columbus just pounds Macon when it comes to comparison. But in reality Macon is Just as much on there level and any of the rest, they make have a few differences as far as what they offer but it not enough to say there are leaving Macon in the dust, because Macon has lot of the same amenities if there are in the works or proposed. As for Augusta people has forgotten that in 1995 when the city/county consolidation happen the proper city of Augusta was much less than 50 sq mil with a pop of 40,000, that both smaller in size and pop than Macon which at it peak was around 130k, which has decrease over the years because people have decided to spread out from the core of Macon to the newly developed areas of Bibb county which is abut 70% developed; technically Macon, just not with in the city limits. If Macon consolidated it pop would soar to 160K and an area of 255 sq mi, larger in size and with in a few thousand people of being same pop of these cities mentioned.

Jackson 184,256-106.8 sq. mi
Montgomery 201, 568 -156.19 sq. mi
Mobile 198,915-159.4 sq. mi
Charleston 118, 492-178.1 sq. mi
Augusta 192, 851-306.5 sq. mi
Greenville 56, 006-26.1 sq. mi
Columbus 188, 660-22.8 sq. mi
Savannah 130,331-78.1 sq. mi

Macon 97,606-56.3 sq. mi
After Consolidation
157,000- sq. mi
But remember what I posted previous; Macon at it peak was at 130,000 just 27,000 people from what it would be after consolidation.

As the metro; the US census divided the metro between Macon, Fort Valley and Warner Robins causing the Macon Metro loses pop and appears much smaller. But together it’s about 420,000 and what people fail to realize is, there is no other with a 100 miles N, E, S or W that offers what Macon can to Middle GA which Macon serves a Economic hub to 22 counties and pop of over 700,000. So even though this pop is not with in Macon immediate metro area the city still serves this area as if they were. So you hear all the people say “oh these area are not included in Macon metro because of there daily commuting patterns”, but in some form of fashion people from these county needs Macon for something whether or not it’s shopping, Dinning, Media coverage, Education, work purposes or etc. So if you are wondering, that’s why Macon can gain and support so much more Development of commercial and retail than other city around 90-100 because they don’t serves as larger area and pop.

So all though Macon doesn’t have some thing that a lot of the city like may have it still is comparable in term of size and after consolidation as well as in pop…

Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
^Interesting way to look at things, to say the least.

Your comparisons just are not valid though.

First of all, your estimates of Macon's importance and influence are massively out of proportion with reality. I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that Macon/Warner Robins is the economic hub of Middle Georgia. However, expanding that influence to 22 counties and over 700,000 people is ludicrous. And this assumed consolidation with Bibb County is something I can't see happening, not with the political climate the way it is down there.

You keep comparing Greenville to Macon, using the very small City population they have as a reason - I assume. South Carolina annexation laws are ever stricter than ours, so don't be fooled by Greenville's small City pop. Note how small the City limits are - 26.1 square miles. That's tiny.

Now, expand your horizons a little and take in the entire package in Upstate South Carolina. Tiny little Greenville anchors a 3 County area with over 1 million people. Like Macon, it is served by two major Interstates, and several belts & spurs. The big difference? The Interstates around Greenville are lined with top-of-the-line high paying industrial and office jobs. Job's like BMW, Michelin's North American HQ's, General Electric, etc. HUGE difference. It is obvious as you move about the area that the shopping, dining, entertainment, Downtown development, road network, etc. is on an entirely different level from anything Macon will see for at least 10-15 years (and I'm being kind).

So when you compare Macon to some of the these other places using your "proper population and city size" theory you have, you HAVE to look at the surrounding Metro. It is not always as black and white as you seem to portray.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM

A lot of you guys on don’t know but Macon is experiencing a lot growth for a city of its size; much like what Augusta is doing. A Large amount additional retail is planned for Macon including is another power center in North Macon like Eisenhower Crossing (Macon) and North Columbus Crossing (Columbus) called “Lull Water” http://www.faison.com/files/186/Nort..._IS_09-08s.pdf
which will bring Macon 2nd Target, Best Buy and Home Depot. Also in North Macon another Center called Market Place at Bass which JC penny, Macy and Costco is proposed as Anchors. In addition to that Providence North Macon is a huge upscale mixed used development with 4 phases, very similar to Atlantic station which will include several up scale hotels, residential lofts, commercial offices, Dining and retail which 1 phase has already began construction earlier this year.

North Macon’s new office park ( Lakeside Commons) under construction will include a lighted walking trail, beautiful lake views and abundant parking with hotels, grocery, restaurants and
much more.

Also in South Macon/ Bibb off of 75/475 split @ Hartley Bridge Rd. there is another life style center call Hartley Station which include another Wal-Mart, hotels, 3 Apartment Complexes, dining and a movie theater and residential community which start construction last year.

Completed is development is North Macon is Shoppes at River Crossing (Macon New Open-air Mall) which includes Macon’s 2nd Belk Store and Dicks stores it also includes a Dillard’s, DSW, Barnes & Nobles and Ultra. Also in North West Macon @ 475/Zebulon Rd; Opus Shoppes of Macon it is Complete which includes Retail, Dining and an Apartment complex.

Also there is a lot of new construction building the Interstates larger, several new mix- used commercial and residential projects DT.
8 Story Heart center Tower to MCCG-Completed 2008
220-9 story Marriott convention center Hotel connected to the Macon Coliseum
Capitol City Bank-under construction
The Lofts at 425-early 2009
Dannenburg Lofts-spring/summer 2009
Silvers Buliding-spring/summer 2009
Cherry Street Lofts-spring/summer 2009
Capricorn Center phase one-summer/fall 2009
Wharf Street center-late 2010
An entire city block in the heart of downtown is about to be redeveloped into retail stores, offices and 7 luxury condominuims.
Developer floats plan for property near convention center hotel - Local & State - Macon

this it not all the projects in Macon in I just got tired of typing….

Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 AM

any pictures?

Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Interesting way to look at things, to say the least.

Your comparisons just are not valid though.

I don't think anyone here disputes the fact that Macon/Warner Robins is the economic hub of Middle Georgia. However, expanding that influence to 22 counties and over 700,000 people is ludicrous. It is not always as black and white as you seem to portray.
This post clearly shows your lack of Knowledge about the Macon Area.....

Jim Wilson and Associates, Inc. (http://www.jwamalls.com/properties.aspx?id=112 - broken link) click on the Market Area tab for the shoppes at River Crossing it will give a lot information which is clear you lack.....

The Macon Market Infor: Just case you didn't fine it on the Site

Market Info

Inc. magazine recently identified Macon as one of the Top 50 Small Metro Areas in the US.
Macon is the economic engine of Central Georgia.
Robins Air Force Base is the largest employer in the state.
Macon is #11 of the Top 15 Logistic Cities in the Southeast.
Macon is a community rich in history and culture, with an available and affordable workforce, state of the art technical training, four colleges and universities with over 30,000 students and over 1,200 acres of business and industrial parks.
Population of over 390,000 in a 30 mile radius.
Area is home to: WRALC - Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Blue Bird - Coachworks Facility, YKK AP Fasteners, The Boeing Company - Apache Helicopters, C130, Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II, IKON Office Solutions, GEICO, KUMHO Tire Georgia, Inc., Kohl's Distribution Center, Bass Pro Distribution Center, Sara Lee Foods Refrigerated Warehouse & Distribution Center, Nichiha USA, Inc. - fiber cement siding for residential & commercial, California Cereal Products.
Industry Week magazine rates Macon’s workforce as the 21st most productive in the nation.
* Macon serves as the center of industry, medicine, higher education and retail sales for a 22 county trade area. This area, with a population of more than 612,000, provides a broad, strong market for local business and industry.
* Macon is accessible to three (3) interstate highways: I-75, I-475 and I-16, and is just 75 minutes from Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia