Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM

885 posts, read 1,165,961 times

Advertisements

We are researching for a place to retire in the near future. We never considered Georgia before. I guess because everyone is always talking about the Carolinas and Florida. Maybe Georgia is a well kept secret.

We just came back from Florida, and although the beaches are nice, we didn't see any place we really liked (and we did both coasts- drove about 2500 miles), and it was very hot. I didn't mind the heat but hubbie really didn't like it.

We were thinking that maybe Georgia would offer more 4 seasons with a longer summer. And of course mountains and lakes like we have now (just less snow and cold with a lower COL).

We are in our 60's, both of us are professionals. We currently live in upstate NY on a farm. The COL is getting to us (property taxes are $8K), although the area we live in is mountainous and beautiful, with small cities. Hubbie travel 57 miles each way now- 5 days a week- to go to work. I already retired.

Now we are liberals, but don't flaunt it. In fact at least half of our friends are very conservative. We are very friendly and like ppl and want to make new friends wherever we end up. We are not church goers but have no problem with ppl who do go to church (in fact I helped teach Sunday school as a teen). We understand that Georgia is conservative.

We are looking for a small city/ large town that has a VERY active Main Street, not just a bunch of shopping centers. We want to be able to park, walk around, go shopping, have lunch or dinner. We believe in buying local from the small business owner. We'd like a wide variety of stores and restaurants. Shopping centers outside of town with big box stores (when you can't find something local)is a plus

I'd like a health food store, a good produce market, and maybe a butcher and seafood market nearby, since we eat strict diets. I have fibromyalgia and I find that eating certain foods and not eating many others (I'm gluten/ wheat free among other things) helps with the chronic pain. Otherwise we are very healthy for our age and have no chronic diseases. But we would still like good medical care/ hospital nearby.

We'd like an area that has things to do and see. We do just about everything except ski (I haven't done that since high school).

Our housing budget is less than $250K. We will have pensions and SS.

I'd like some area ideas that may fit our wants. We are aware no place is perfect, but maybe we can get more pros than cons. I looked on-line and Blue Ridge seems almost perfect, with maybe Clayton, and Helen (I love the look in Helen) a close second. We don't mind a touristy place. It gives a place vibrancy and can keep a town from going to seed with the money tourists bring in. I also believe that if other people like it enough to travel and vacation there, than I'll probably like it too.

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 02:34 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
I'd like some area ideas that may fit our wants. We are aware no place is perfect, but maybe we can get more pros than cons. I looked on-line and Blue Ridge seems almost perfect, with maybe Clayton, and Helen (I love the look in Helen) a close second. We don't mind a touristy place. It gives a place vibrancy and can keep a town from going to seed with the money tourists bring in. I also believe that if other people like it enough to travel and vacation there, than I'll probably like it too.
Given your requirements, I'd say Blue Ridge and Clayton are excellent choices. Add to those the towns of Dahlonega, Cleveland [close to Helen], and Toccoa.

Here's why I wouldn't look quite so favorably at Helen as a retirement destination: because it is a tourist town with one road in and one road out, traffic can be an issue. And the nearest major retail centers are 10 miles down the road in Cleveland.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:12 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,003 times
I agree with the poster above.
Look at BlueRidge,Elijay, Dahlonega. I wouldn't look at Helen either.

I really like Dahlonega less touristy with a college there.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:43 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
The OP said big box stores nearby in case they couldn't buy local. Blue Ridge nor Ellijay have those unless you consider Wal-mart a good big box store. Well I guess you could count Home Depot (BR) and Lowe's (Ellijay)...but not much else. Dahlonega is a good suggestion, because Dawsonville is growing so fast right there on GA400. Not to mention.... Gilmer and Fannin are very very conservative.... God, Guns and Country and not necessarily in that order.....

Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The OP said big box stores nearby in case they couldn't buy local. Blue Ridge nor Ellijay have those unless you consider Wal-mart a good big box store. Well I guess you could count Home Depot (BR) and Lowe's (Ellijay)...but not much else. Dahlonega is a good suggestion, because Dawsonville is growing so fast right there on GA400. Not to mention.... Gilmer and Fannin are very very conservative.... God, Guns and Country and not necessarily in that order.....
Anywhere in North Georgia would be conservative and the OP realized that and said she was ok. But I do agree Dahlonega seems to be her best bet. Dawson county is growing very fast and has all the big retail she would need.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 AM

885 posts, read 1,165,961 times
Thanks everyone for your posts. More places to look into. Will be planning for a road trip next year.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,146 times
From everything you described, it sounds like Dahlonega would be the best fit

Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 PM

11,394 posts, read 24,436,628 times
You also could live in Athens, though it's not in the mountains. Because it's home to the Univerity of Georgia, its population is more liberal and better educated than many other places in the state. It's also become popular with retirees. Many choose to live in the smaller towns surrounding Athens, though others enjoy living right in town. Downtown is a real downtown.

Summers are hot but we have four seasons and a generally mild winter.

It doesn't seem as hip and edgy as it was when I attended college, but there are plenty of good restaurants, local places to shop, and well supported cultural events you might enjoy.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,146 times
I lived in Athensfor a while and it was just a short hop to the mountains... you could get to the to the southernmost edge of the North Georgia mountains in under an hour. Very easy for day trips or day hikes or just an afternoon. Athens is absolutely a wonderful town with one of the better economies in Georgia. Also, if you need to go to the big city for anything, it is only an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia