U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 05:36 AM

9 posts, read 15,848 times
Talking looking into nashville, ga

Could anyone tell me about Nashville, Georgia? I live in Connecticut but it is getting to be too expensive for middle income to afford living here anymore. How are the public schools? How is the employment? My husband is a water welldriller and I am a nursery school teachers aide. I have seen the houses for sale on realestate.com and they seem very reasonable. We have a two bedroom condo up here for what you can buy a house for down there. I live in a country town right now that is about 15-20 minutes from a city but our town has major grocery stores and a wal-mart so we don't have to drive out of town to get our shopping done unless we are looking for something specific. Hope someone can give me some info. I will be looking forward to hearing about Nashville. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,595 times
Thumbs down Looking into Nashville, GA

I suggest you don't move. You are from CT and the move is going to be a major culture shock.

The town is very red-neck and there aren't any jobs worth having. Many heavy drugs are found in this incredibly small, unfriendly town that literally sits in the middle of the woods.

I lived in Nashville, Georgia for about 3 years and hated every minute of it. The law enforcement is crooked, as are the judges and just about everyone else in the town. Don't believe me? Google the news on Jerry Brogdon, former sherrif, Ira Sheely, former chief of police, and the Prosecuting Attorney for the town. All of them are or were up on federal and state charges for various offenses. One official was caught with a Meth lab on his property.

Don't move to Nashville, GA. Leave the woods to the creatures who were born and raised there.

I suggest Atlanta or Savannah if you want to move and still have a decent home, friends, and career!

Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,595 times
In addition to the above, the school system is terrible. There are no jobs unless you want to slave at the local boat factory. There is no Wal-Mart, no major grocery store, and nothing for the children to do but get into trouble.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM

6 posts, read 31,386 times
kbonn89,

I'm a realtor in Valdosta, Ga and I service all surrounding cities and counties. Check out my website at valdostarealestatefinder.com. A quick website link is in my profile. Let me know if I can serve you in any way.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,554,237 times
Default suggestion

you could live in Nashville or Adel as a low-cost, quiet area and commute to Valdosta approx. 30 minutes for work. Valdosta is around 60,000 population and has Moody Air Force base, Valdosta State University, and some decent employment opportunities as well as amenities such as shopping and restaurants.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
Question Also considering Nashville GA

We, too, are considering Nashville, GA. Is it really as bad as njdurkin's reply?

We are relocating from South Central PA because of my husband's job; they are opening a new facility in Valdosta, GA in Sept '08. We prefer rural settings and don't mind commuting 30 minutes for the job or to the nearest shopping mall. So what communities or town could you suggest?

We have two children - one will be entering the 7th grade and the other 9th. What are your suggestions on local school systems? We are currently in a small school district (850 students in high school) and I believe that, although I've read good things about Lowndes Co. High School, it would be very overwhelming in size for my children. According to gaosa.org, the Berrien High School is a distinguished school for meeting NCLB criteria and the size is right for us. But any other suggestions for searching school systems or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. The cost of private school does not allow us that option.

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,398 times
Smile Re-locating to Nashville GA

It is not a bad place to live.The school system is very good.Hahira schools good also but you would still have to deal with Lowndes for High School.We do have a grocery store recently bought out by a major chain. Major shopping from 25-45 minutes away.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,398 times
Also all those people mentioned above are now out of office.I don't think our town corners the market with political problems.And I don't nor does anyone that I am friends with slave for the local boat plant....and we all work.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 AM

7 posts, read 23,212 times
Well...
I wouldn't move there, I would recommend Valdosta and drive to Nashville if you work there. When we first moved to the area we did look at Nashville first, but decided to move closer to town (Valdosta). It's a very small town, but not much there. If you want a little rural you could find somewhere in between to live.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 AM

102 posts, read 239,930 times
Here maybe some helpful links...

Berrien County School System

Berrien County Chamber of Commerce

City of Nashville

I'm about 20 miles from Nashville in a lot smaller of a town. I however disagree with the earlier post of everyone being REDNECK. It will be a culture shock, but most people are welcoming here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia