Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM

11 posts, read 83,908 times

Advertisements

We have been very happy with our elementary school, Summit Hill, in Alpharetta. It is ranked in the Top 5 in the state according to the CRCT scores.... In this same area is Crabapple Crossing and Cogburn Elementary - also all in the top ten. If you want to see the rankings, Liveinalpharetta.com has a list of the top scoring elementary schools in the state that helped me find our school and house. (We have three kids so schools were very important in our choice), Another resource is the Atlanta Journal&Constitution guide that you can order off their website, AJC.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 07:37 PM

985 posts, read 5,746,465 times
Here is list of new SAT score. Surprisingly, only 17 schools best Duluth High in Atlanta area. I bought my townhouse in Duluth since it is cheap and it is close to work. Had I have a kid, I probably purchase property in NorthView high school area.

By the way, Georgia is ranked 46th of 50 in SAT. It is not good at all.

Cherokee
Etowah 1599

Cobb
Pope 1634
Walton 1705
Lassiter 1637

Dekalb
Chamblee 1666
Dekalb school of art 1679
Druid Hills 1622
Lakeside 1660

Fayette
McIntosh 1629
Star Mills 1605

North Fulton

Alpharatta 1596
Centennial 1638
Chtthooch. 1666
Milton 1641
NorthView 1670
North Spring 1647
Roswell 1663

Gwinnett
Brookwood 1629
Duluth 1593

Old 08-29-2006, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,332 times
Default gwinnet county

my son is being recruited for the gwinnet county police dept. Do you have any info on this county- crime rate etc.. or where i could find it? wonder why they would recruit from cincinnati for a police job in georgia. is it a bad job? are the police supported by the city council and civilian population? police in cincy don't get much backing. thanks for any insights into gwinnet county.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 AM

Gwinnett is growing by 25,000 last year. That's slowest it grows for the past decade. A lot of people move in. Some part of Norcross, Lawrenceville, Lilburn are trouble spot for county. In general, it is safer than the city of Atlanta. For example, the city of Duluth has only 6 murders in the past ten years.

Morst crimes in Gwinnett are illegal immigratation related. Check out Scan Gwinnett for additional info.

Last edited by jxu66; 08-30-2006 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,379,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7586 View Post
my son is being recruited for the gwinnet county police dept. Do you have any info on this county- crime rate etc.. or where i could find it? wonder why they would recruit from cincinnati for a police job in georgia. is it a bad job? are the police supported by the city council and civilian population? police in cincy don't get much backing. thanks for any insights into gwinnet county.
He would enjoy it depending upon his assignment.
S. Gwinnett, he will earn his pay around Jimmy Carter and Rt23. But being an officer, that would be just daily hours probably for him coming from Cinci.

Gwinnett Police are supported by council and mostly the people. The pay is not the best, but then again, I don't think they police enough anymore no matter where they are.

Equipment is current, cars are new, and County benefits are good.

Just make sure he nego. his pay to the best level possible.

Now, the main reason they are recruiting is because Gwinnett County is short 96 officers to date. The growth is due to many transplants with company relocation, thus already having jobs. Many incoming people, like myself, over 40 and would not qualify. (37 is the cutoff). And those who should never become officers.

If they are recruiting hard, tell him to push for a relo package.

Good Luck

Old 08-30-2006, 08:01 AM

15 posts, read 74,033 times
Talking moving on too

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon007 View Post
Our family is relocating to Georgia. I have been researching the Alpharetta, Roswell, Lawrenceville, Norcross areas. I would like to hear from the moms who live in these areas who can offer valuable information regarding what they consider are the best schools. I have children in Elementary, Middle, and two going to High School this year. I am very concerned about the High School. I am looking for a property but want to locate the best schools and then find a house in those areas.

Also, I would love to hear from any south floridians (Miami) who have relocated to Georgia and what their experience has been like so far. Anyone else who has valuable information to a relocating family, please post your comments. We need all the help we can get. Thank you y'all!
We're leaving South Florida - have 2 kids Elem & Middle school. We looked in Buford, Dacula, Hamilton Mill, In the end We really liked Flowery branch - Sterling on the Lake is a beautiful new community with tons of kids which was important to us. We wanted somewhat of country living but need all the stores close by. Publix is right down the road & Mall of GA about 9 miles away. Its not overpopulated there yet and the schools are good and not overcrowded. (Friendship elem, CW Davis Middle, Flowery Branch High) South Florida is getting out of control with its prices, FCAT's and we're over these hurricanes. We're Looking forward to the move - should be there in March. By the way My sister who has 3 young kids in Elem School has lived near that area of GA for 6 years and would never move back to Florida and my brother in law is a realtor. Good Luck. I've researched alot, let me know if i can help.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 7,438 times
To everyone thinking about or moving to GA, read my Atlanta post!

DRUGS, crime and safety! Don't rely on the stats! They don't give any real data on the drug usage and crimes! The schools don't dare let that information out and make sure you TALK WITH your children before you send them to school-

Snooty- by all means! They were born and raised here, all of their family live here and they wouldn't have it any other way!

Don't forget the traffic! IT bites, the only place I have ever seen it worse was Hartford, CT and that was years ago....

My friends from Fl send me news from our wonderful county- because we make it there! How many other places have you heard of the mail person being shot, then the new one being beaten up? and now no one will take the route regularly- I heard it all, when I heard that! We are in Gwinnett, where I moved 20+ years ago and our son is the only one who likes it. Nothing has changes with the people, just too many more, that's all!

Have a great day.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM

Just search on google. It is sad to see what happen to that poor mailman last year in Snellville, GA. A 60 years old man who is in debt want to go to jail so that government (jail) can take care of him.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 105,876 times
Currently living in Florida and hoping to move to Georgia.

I would appreciate some advice on:
1. How you like Georgia
2. The job situation there
3. which are the best cities to find employment and live

Thanks So Much

Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,319 times
Default parkview district mom here

Hi, I just moved here in June. I researched the schools quite a bit. I have 2 elementary students, one middle and one high school. What a great school cluster!! Parkview!! This is in Lilburn but can take kids from the next surrounding towns. We live in Lilburn, smaller than the other towns and very nice people. The small community we are in is 2 minutes from the schools. I love it. The average Joe lives here and we like it that way. The neighbors are warm and friendly. You know, like a movie, we moved in and the next week, a neighbor came over with a cake. I can't say enough about the people. I have not found one snooty person yet. There is a diversity, which was something we wanted. Again, every person of different ethnic background is very nice. Everyone seems to get along. Georgia has a new law if you live near a park or school, a sex offender can not move in. I like that, so that's where I looked. I am not sure of the milage though. I moved from a small town in CT and I love the convenience of the stores (orig from NYC). I love my new church, St. John Neuman. I am very happy in Lilburn. The kids like their schools. The Parkview HS is one of the best in the nation for sports. Very large and my daughter is in honors classes and doing very well. The middle school is brand new and my 6th grader is adjusting. She is a leader type and makes friends easily, but it was hard at first because she didnt know anyone. We only started school 3 weeks ago and she is making friends left and right. The boys in camp creek elementary are thriving. One in second has adhd and they are very much on top of the sitution. LOVE IT HERE! YOU COME TOO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia