U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:34 AM

12 posts, read 88,736 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to Georgia. I have been researching the Alpharetta, Roswell, Lawrenceville, Norcross areas. I would like to hear from the moms who live in these areas who can offer valuable information regarding what they consider are the best schools. I have children in Elementary, Middle, and two going to High School this year. I am very concerned about the High School. I am looking for a property but want to locate the best schools and then find a house in those areas.

Also, I would love to hear from any south floridians (Miami) who have relocated to Georgia and what their experience has been like so far. Anyone else who has valuable information to a relocating family, please post your comments. We need all the help we can get. Thank you y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 09:59 AM

27 posts, read 132,574 times
Default Another mom in search of info!

My husband is interviewing for a job north of Atlanta and I would love to hear from the moms out there as well! I have a preschooler and a 2nd grader. I'm thinking of the Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Buford area (proximity to husband's job). But I really want to know how welcoming the other moms are to new people! One of the reasons we are leaving the area we are in now is that the moms are "snooty" as my husband likes to say! It's as if they have enough friends and have no time to be nice to anyone else! We researched the town, school, etc. before we moved to this "perfect place" only to find that the people aren't nice to newcomers!! So much for searching the web!!
Any help will be appreciated!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:49 AM

Default I know what you mean

I know exactly what you are referring to. What part of the country are you residing in right now? Sounds alot like here. We did lots of research too before coming out here and it is not a great place to raise a family. The folks out here are very affluent and apparently that is all that matters. Manners are a thing of the past out here. Anyhow, I am with ya......If any moms out there can offer some good advice, please do. I am sure you can relate to how we are feeling. What we want is a decent environment and good schools for our children. Once we get situated on that, we can proceed in working out all the other details on the relocation. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 11,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove
My husband is interviewing for a job north of Atlanta and I would love to hear from the moms out there as well! I have a preschooler and a 2nd grader. I'm thinking of the Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Buford area (proximity to husband's job). But I really want to know how welcoming the other moms are to new people! One of the reasons we are leaving the area we are in now is that the moms are "snooty" as my husband likes to say! It's as if they have enough friends and have no time to be nice to anyone else! We researched the town, school, etc. before we moved to this "perfect place" only to find that the people aren't nice to newcomers!! So much for searching the web!!
Any help will be appreciated!!!
On the Move,

My wife, Mary Anne, our son(13) and daughter(10) and I are planning to move to the western side of Atlanta - Douglasville, Carrollton, Villa Rica (maybe) within the next month. Your comments (and those of movingon007) concern me since we are pretty much using the same sources as both of you. Are you sure that the attitudes you are seeing are merely symptomatic of our society in general, or are your experiences particular to the region? I am not trying to put you on the spot, but I am trying to get objective information. What are your thoughts?

Old 07-16-2006, 05:11 PM

27 posts, read 132,574 times
Danaives-
I'm not sure if it's regional or not. All I know is that we moved from a more rural area (although we were in a newer subdivision) into a very nice town/suburb of a metro area last year. It has the perfect schools, neighborhoods, parks, shopping). We wanted the best we could get for our 2 young children. We were quite surprised when people weren't friendly or even involved in our neighborhood. My girls are involved in activities outside of school and the other parents are less than friendly (I'd dare say...cold). The only people that have been even slightly friendly and responsive when we reach out are fellow recent transplants! It appears that the people in our idyllic town are more concerned about which out-of-state summer camp to send their kids to and what to wear than making new friends. We are anxious to leave this area (although the shopping will be tough to beat!) and hopefully get into a more "normal" area. Schools are very important to us so it may be tough to get a great school without a "snooty" area, but we're going to give it our best shot!

If anyone has any suggestions, please offer them!
Thanks!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 39,793 times
I Use To Live In The Lawrenceville Area And The Schools There Are Very Crowded Now. Not That This Matters At All But Just Thought I Would Let You Know Because It Does Matter To Some Whites And Blacks Are The Minority In The Schools There.

If You Are Wanting To Stay In The Gwinnett County Schools There Are Some New Ones In The Dacula And Hoschton Area Called Mill Creek High. I Am Not Sure What The Elem. & Middle Schools Are Called. But All Of Them Are Huge The High School Looks Like A Jr. College And The Elem. Looks Like A High School.

I Moved Out To Barrow Co. And The Schools Are Ok Out Here Just Depending What Area You Move Into. I Live In Hoschton On The Gwinnett And Barrow Line. So Far I Like The Schools But Mine Are Still In Elem. We Are Having To Relocate To Spring Hill, Tennessee Because Of My Husbands Job.

Good Luck!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 33,331 times
Default Canton, acworth, woodstock, waleska schools

We are looking to move into the cherokee county area (my husband's company has an office in Alpharetta). We are moving from NJ due to the rising taxes. We don't want to move where there is tremendous traffic and we don't want to move to the boonies.

Our most concern is with schooling. I have three daughters. 7 1/2, 4 and 10mos old. My oldest is entering into 2nd grade, she is currently in an amazing elementary school. We are looking for an awesome school system. We would also like a school system where there is parental involvement.

I am wondering are there any elementary schools that are very close to housing? It seems the schools are way far away from housing. Our school is within walking distance and we really love that.

Also, does anyone have and info on school nurse involvement. My oldest has Asthma and severe food allergies. Our nurse here is wonderful. I am very concerned about how the nurse interacts with the schools in georgia.

Thanks for any information you can give

Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 PM

436 posts, read 358,228 times
Roswell, Alpharetta, et al. -

The good: Shopping, restaurants, mild winters, most K-12.

Not so good: mind-numbing commutes, humidity in summers, air quality, much sprawl in many areas.

GA is a sports obsessed state. If you gotta prob with that, just tune out when your new found friends turn conversation to Tom Glavine and what time the Falcon game starts. Go get 'em soccer moms - chop, chop tomahawk chop. Later.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Good feedback!

Hey y'all......

thanks for the great feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I guess at the end of the day, one doesn't really know whether a move will work out favorably or not until you do it and actually take the risk of living somewhere. That kinda' sums it up. I also think I agree with the fact that some of the symptoms we are seeing are part of a national epidemic, but nonetheless I also think it is possible to have less exposure depending where you choose to live. In our case, it is not so much the unfriendly and snooty folks that bother us, but the quality of life. Quality of life for most families is good schools, reasonable cost of living, a wholesome environment for our children, and having the option of not having to deal with extended commutes. Based on what I have read in these threads, these things are all attainable in Georgia depending where you go, you may have to sacrifice on one thing to have the other. I guess at the end of the day, it is all about having a positive outlook and doing as much research as possible in order to not get caught off guard. So again....thank you all so much for your feedback.......

Old 07-30-2006, 04:36 PM

436 posts, read 358,228 times
All that traffic, traffic, traffic, and air pollution. Yuck! - Atlanta and surrounding burbs do have exceptional shopping and dining variety, but did I mention the traffic? Get use to gassing up. - you'll be driving, driving, driving a lot.

Last edited by brian_2; 07-30-2006 at 04:54 PM..
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia