U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2009, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,285 posts, read 12,334,764 times
Reputation: 802

Advertisements

Thanks to $30 million in federal stimulus funds, another segment of the Fall Line Freeway is under construction along the 215-mile highway stretching from Augusta to Columbus. The ultimate completion of the road will be a relief to truckers who must either detour 60 to 70 miles into Atlanta traffic if they want to stay on major highways or add time to their trip on the narrow roads nicknamed the "woodpecker trail," said Tom Mills, the president of Augusta-based Sanders Truck Transport.

New work under way on Fall Line Freeway

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-21-2012 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Martinez, GA
215 posts, read 522,046 times
Reputation: 36
Augusta, Macon, and Savannah all have the chance to be major transportation hubs. If interstate 3 and interstate 14 become reality. The cities would have 3 interstates a piece and interstate spur, like I-520 in Augusta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,415 posts, read 10,080,587 times
Reputation: 5923
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrat View Post
Augusta, Macon, and Savannah all have the chance to be major transportation hubs. If interstate 3 and interstate 14 become reality. The cities would have 3 interstates a piece and interstate spur, like I-520 in Augusta.
Let's add to the wish list an extension of Interstate 185 from LaGrange north to Chattanooga and south from Columbus to Panama City. This has been proposed to be renamed as an extension of Interstate 81 which currently has its southern terminus in Knoxville. It would overlay I-75 from Knoxville to Chattanooga. This along with I-3 would offer two north/south routes that would bypass the funnel of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
119 posts, read 266,791 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Let's add to the wish list an extension of Interstate 185 from LaGrange north to Chattanooga and south from Columbus to Panama City. This has been proposed to be renamed as an extension of Interstate 81 which currently has its southern terminus in Knoxville. It would overlay I-75 from Knoxville to Chattanooga. This along with I-3 would offer two north/south routes that would bypass the funnel of Atlanta.
I agree, that would take a lot of pressure off of I-75 toward Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 AM
 
21 posts, read 59,752 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
I agree, that would take a lot of pressure off of I-75 toward Atlanta.
They have been talking about the Columbus/Panama City connection since the late 60's and it took nearly 40 years for Alabama to come up with enough money to improve 431.
Sorry folks it will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
119 posts, read 266,791 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand2009 View Post
They have been talking about the Columbus/Panama City connection since the late 60's and it took nearly 40 years for Alabama to come up with enough money to improve 431.
Sorry folks it will never happen.
I have heard of I-185 being extended down to Tallahassee. There is a study being conducted right now I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2009, 03:08 PM
 
1,304 posts, read 3,344,175 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
I have heard of I-185 being extended down to Tallahassee. There is a study being conducted right now I believe.
Yes, there have been numerous studies and this has been talked about since the late 60s early 70s. The Fall Line Freeway was proposed in the mid 1980s, though there were talks about such a highway much earlier. And still in 2009 it is still not complete.. and no where close to being what most ppl would consider a freeway. The big problem remains in Macon, how to route the road around the Etowah indian mounds.. that issue has still not been resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM
 
21 posts, read 59,752 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
I have heard of I-185 being extended down to Tallahassee. There is a study being conducted right now I believe.
Where have you been?
They couldn't even afford a study right now much less build the road...lol
Old news and wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
119 posts, read 266,791 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhand2009 View Post
Where have you been?
They couldn't even afford a study right now much less build the road...lol
Old news and wishful thinking.
That's not what I have heard..... might want to read this below LOL.

http://www.swgainterstate.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
 
150 posts, read 341,762 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
That's not what I have heard..... might want to read this below LOL.

Welcome to the Southwest Georgia Interstate Study
Neat info. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top