Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,081 times

Advertisements

There is a long accepted technique for walking along roads without sidewalks. You walk on the side that faces traffic. I learned that a long time ago when I was about 5. Have been successfully walking along roads without sidewalks for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
why would you walk on a vehicle road? having no sidewalks is no excuse to jaywalk so lay off labelling people driving cars on roads made for cars.
Many cities and their associated metro areas provide sidewalks and bike trails (and sometimes both) on one or both sides of major automobile thoroughfares to accommodate foot and bicycle traffic.

Cobb County is in the process of improving the walking and biking situation for many of its residents, thank goodness, and I personally hope the rest of the metro is doing something along similar lines.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 AM

70 posts, read 196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
why would you walk on a vehicle road? having no sidewalks is no excuse to jaywalk so lay off labelling people driving cars on roads made for cars.
So how are the kids supposed to get to and from the bus stops? Fly? My neighborhood (like many others here) lacks sidewalks so the kids have to walk in the streets or gutters. Granted, it wouldn't be so bad if people didn't drive 50 in a 30mph zone but that's another arguement.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Yeah, one of the things I noticed upon my initial arrival from NYC to Atlanta in 1982 was the complete lack of sidewalks in many areas. I think it's much better now, although it still does boggle my mind why sidewalks aren't ubiquitous in all but rural areas. How do you spend millions on a road widening project and NOT put in sidewalks? That's just stupid and shortsighted.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Yeah, one of the things I noticed upon my initial arrival from NYC to Atlanta in 1982 was the complete lack of sidewalks in many areas. I think it's much better now, although it still does boggle my mind why sidewalks aren't ubiquitous in all but rural areas. How do you spend millions on a road widening project and NOT put in sidewalks? That's just stupid and shortsighted.
It's the missing turn lanes in some places that blow my mind. It isn't a right of way issue in most cases from what I can tell, either. Just a different approach to building roads, I guess.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM

31 posts, read 92,110 times
What an ignorant SOB!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
I just wanted to say that I am nearing the end of a decade spent in Atlanta / Atlanta area. It has been 10 years since I arrived here from Europe, and the effects of the initial shock over lack of sidewalks and lack of people in the streets, are still with me. I never got over it and I spent a decade B****-ing about it almost every other day :-)

We are now forced to move to the Boston (area) for husband's job and I've been told this particular issue should go away. Looking forward to facing a brand new set of issues: such as Real Estate costs that only lots of Prozac can render bearable and the virtually zero chance of establishing a career in academia, which I had managed to do just fine in the sidewalk-less Atlanta.

So the search for a worldly Paradise continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia