Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,287 times

Advertisements

I am in the market to purchase a new home. I am in a year lease. I want to do the right thing, but I do not want to penalized for purchasing a home because I am currently renting. I know there is a 60 day notice to leave, but do not want to pay the remainder of the lease, if that is what is required. I live in Marietta, and the home I am planning to purchase is in Hiram. The management here will not give me the number to the corporate office or anyone higher than them.

Someone please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM

470 posts, read 1,495,933 times
Does the 60 day notice get you out of paying the remainder of the lease? Have you already made an offer on the home in Hiram that has been accepted? If you haven't an accepted offer, it could take longer than 60 days to close, unless you are paying cash. Are you going for the first time home buyer's credit? There should be some details on the management company and a contact number on your lease form. Read your lease thoroughly, especially the clauses for termination.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:57 AM

244 posts, read 863,244 times
1. How many months are left on the lease?

2. You're not being "penalized for buying a house". You're being penalized for breaking the lease.

3. If you do not want to "pay the remainder of the lease if that is what is required", then give the 60 days notice when there are 60 days left on the lease.

4. Put yourself in the management's shoes. They have leases for a reason and they cannot simply allow any and everyone who decides they want to buy a house after they've signed the lease to decide they want to break the lease without any consequences. Would you allow that if you were the landlord?

5. Unless the manager is doing something egregious or something outside of what the lease allows, calling the corporate office is not going to help you get what you want. A Google or Yellow Pages search will get you the contact info for the management company.

6. Buy the house if you want to but be prepared to pay the termination fees set out in the lease if you break the lease.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,363,979 times
you can move at any time, you just need to continue paying until the lease is up. you can always stop paying it and take your chances with a civil suit and credit damage. naturally you will not do that since you are about to buy a home.

the 60 day notice is a notice of non renewal of lease, not of breaking the lease.

all leases in ga i've come across generally want the full term's rent. some might settle for half the months but don't count on it.

you can try to push closing back and take your time packing. or just wait till your lease is up?

when i was buying i signed a series of 3 month leases to avoid a lenghtly contract. i paid out the bucket in surchages for the short leases but overal i saved vs a 2 year standard contract with ETF penalties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia