Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,192 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I have finally decided I can't make ends no longer meet in Connecticut....I am sick of robbing Peter to pay Paul.....so much for the rich old man with a month to live!!!!
I am seriously considering a move to Georgia as it is peaceful....not in the exteme heat like the midwest and I will no longer have to shovel more than my share of snow. I have been searching around for a great neighboorhood...of course dragging 2 elderly parents with me. Houses are so affordable in Villa Rica and Douglasville, but yet there are a ton for sale!!!! I want the white picket fence and the big back yard....any comments would be appreciated!!!! Thanks....Jeane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 21,987 times
I was born and raised in Northern California and my family and I moved to VR about 2 1/2 years ago. Next year we are moving. My husband's family and my family are both from the south (Augusta and Alabama) and we both spent many summers here while growing up. With that in mind, I thought I could get used to living here. But I was so wrong.

The mentality here in Carroll County is still very much the same as it was years ago. Now I am about to make what might be considered to be sweeping generalizations about this place, but this is based on my own experiences. The majority of whites I have met here have a condescending tone with blacks and the majority of blacks I have met here have that "yes, massa" attitude. I have walked into gas stations where KKK and other racist literature sit at the checkout counter next to the gum and candy.

Yes, it is close to I-20, and only 35 miles or so into Atlanta. It seems to be growing-a Home Depot just opened and I hear Lowes, Ruby Tuesday's, and other chain stores/restaurants are making plans to build in VR. Of course there is a Super Wal-Mart, at least 2 Waffle Houses, some grocery stores, Dollar Generals, CVS, Eckerds, and other small stores located here.

I thought it was just me, but others I have spoken with who are not from here (and from more diverse communities) feel the same: like we stepped back in time, but not in a 'nostalgic' way.

Housing (and taxes) are less out here than in the metro area; no smog checks are needed on your cars when registering; my property taxes last year were around $1000, compared to $3-4k (and more) closer to Atlanta. The only jobs here (it seems) are factory/assembly, retail (Walmart-though nearby Carrollton is getting a Ross and a TJ Maxx in the near future), and the school system. One can be a substitute teacher here with only a high school diploma (or GED) and a 1.5 day training course.

Small town quaintness it is definitely not. Now Mirror Lake seems nice and friendly (the times I have visited friends there) and they are very strict on their association. Homes there however, are much more expensive (maybe because it is Douglas County) than the majority of homes here in Carroll County Villa Rica.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:48 AM

56 posts, read 301,579 times
I dunno I think it depends on you, if you fit in, I know many people in Villa Rica (I'm in Hiram) and I like them and get along with them. You can't just move in from one part of the country and expect the people who have lived there all their lives just open up their arms hug you and try to give you a "cake" when you move in, People in this area are religous and expect you to go to church and be a part of the community. Thats where you meet friends. I hate the communities with HOA cause they regulate everything about your home. But thats me.

I would live in VIlla Rica in a heart beat but I like the RURAL areas the most.

Douglasville is not as RURAL (is in some places) but then again I like it there too.

BTW I have been just about anywhere within 75 miles of Atlanta in the last 10 years and I can tell you nothing is like Hollywood here, no "Sleepy South" I'm on Bonaire going to medschool now and I can tell you the island is not as "Sleepy" as one would think this is the 21st century and the world is more the same than different.

Good Luck

Old 08-13-2006, 01:14 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,479 times
Your comment about the white picket fence and big back yard caught my eye. I know of just such a place -- but it's in Cartersville. Why Villa Ricca? Cartersville is wonderful, there are a few other posts about it on this board, do a search. It's about 45 miles to the NW of Atlanta, up I-75. It's about 16,000 people, has a great little downtown area, though once you get out of the city limits there are lots of new subdivisions and older homes and farms -- lots of cows and horses! It feels very Southern, but there are a lot of transplants there also. There are several assisted living facilities if you're thinking that route.

I delivered pizza for a couple years while I was living there, so I know the neighborhoods very well. Feel free to ask if you want more info.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 PM

56 posts, read 301,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R.
Your comment about the white picket fence and big back yard caught my eye. I know of just such a place -- but it's in Cartersville. Why Villa Ricca? Cartersville is wonderful, there are a few other posts about it on this board, do a search. It's about 45 miles to the NW of Atlanta, up I-75. It's about 16,000 people, has a great little downtown area, though once you get out of the city limits there are lots of new subdivisions and older homes and farms -- lots of cows and horses! It feels very Southern, but there are a lot of transplants there also. There are several assisted living facilities if you're thinking that route.

I delivered pizza for a couple years while I was living there, so I know the neighborhoods very well. Feel free to ask if you want more info.
Sharon I like Cartersville too, I used to work up there for awhile. So yea Catersville, I think the best thing is to come and see both areas to help understand what you like though.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernguyGA View Post
I dunno I think it depends on you, if you fit in, I know many people in Villa Rica (I'm in Hiram) and I like them and get along with them. You can't just move in from one part of the country and expect the people who have lived there all their lives just open up their arms hug you and try to give you a "cake" when you move in, People in this area are religous and expect you to go to church and be a part of the community. Thats where you meet friends. I hate the communities with HOA cause they regulate everything about your home. But thats me.

I would live in VIlla Rica in a heart beat but I like the RURAL areas the most.

Douglasville is not as RURAL (is in some places) but then again I like it there too.

BTW I have been just about anywhere within 75 miles of Atlanta in the last 10 years and I can tell you nothing is like Hollywood here, no "Sleepy South" I'm on Bonaire going to medschool now and I can tell you the island is not as "Sleepy" as one would think this is the 21st century and the world is more the same than different.

Good Luck

It's not about expecting everyone to "open their arms and hug me" or "bring me a cake". It's about the intolerant attitude that exists here. I attended UWG and I actually found it more tolerant in Carrollton than I do here (could be due to Carrollton being a college-town). I've personally heard neighbors talk about the "new families on the street": the 'Mexicans' and the 'gays' are moving in was the new topic. I (and other 'transplants') have made several attempts to reach out to the community: our children's events, school functions, etc. however I must've stood out: my lack of a southern accent (what I have been told) and just my 'look' (I was told on quite a few occassions that I did not look like I was from Carroll County ) because I felt as if I was being patronized. The church thing really bugs me also; everyone has their own beliefs and for a town to grow the minds of the people must grow. To alienate one because of their religious/spiritual beliefs is very ignorant.

Don't think that I am calling everyone here in VR ignorant for I have met a few people who I consider friends. I even had a lot of my suspicions confirmed from these same people (who were born and bred right here). Perhaps with more people moving to the area (lower taxes, housing costs, and close proximity to I-20 attracting more people) this attitude will change. One can only hope.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:46 AM

950 posts, read 3,190,623 times
Villa Rica is located, I believe in three counties (Carroll, Douglas and Paulding). Villa Rica seems like a nice rural town within minutes from Atlanta, Douglasville, Carrollton and Marietta, but something gave me impression that Villa Rica is a magnet for criminals.

I have never lived in Villa Rica but have lived in nearby southern Paulding county (with a Douglasville address) for a short time before moving to Bartow County (GA).

Old 01-06-2007, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaneinabottle View Post
Hey everyone,
I have finally decided I can't make ends no longer meet in Connecticut....I am sick of robbing Peter to pay Paul.....so much for the rich old man with a month to live!!!!
I am seriously considering a move to Georgia as it is peaceful....not in the exteme heat like the midwest and I will no longer have to shovel more than my share of snow. I have been searching around for a great neighboorhood...of course dragging 2 elderly parents with me. Houses are so affordable in Villa Rica and Douglasville, but yet there are a ton for sale!!!! I want the white picket fence and the big back yard....any comments would be appreciated!!!! Thanks....Jeane
Please consider Legacy Lake in Villa Rica. Small sub-division with 20 homesites avg 1 acre lots minutes from the mall in Douglasville. Homes in the low 300,000.00

Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
The stats look good for Villa Rica. I would never live in a place that regards blacks as subserviant though - I have a darling daughter in law that is 1/2 black and I would not tolerate racism directed towards her.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 85,974 times
I moved to Villa Rica, GA about 3 years ago from a large city (west coast) and I can honestly say that I haven't witnessed any outright racism here. I lived in both counties (parts of VR are in Carroll County, and other parts lie in Douglas County-possibly some parts in Paulding as well) and I absolutely love my neighborhood! I live in Mirror Lake and from what I have seen and experienced, the neighborhood is diverse. Now I have seen some African Americans spoken to (or about) in condescending manners however, I get the feeling that they were born and raised here and just "accept" that way of life. Now, of course my husband and I have had 'suspect' interactions with some but that is something that occurs anywhere. And although I was ready to throw in the towel on this side of the metro area, once we moved into our current home I finally felt like I was "at home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia