Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:14 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Every car has a bracket for them. I lived in a state with front plates and it's not a problem. All cars come from the mfg with a front bracket. They just don't get put on in one plate states.

As for the look of the car, you may be right, but that's not a good enough reason. I think the reason the southern states don't have front plates is cost related. At some point in the past, the southern states and the couple of other states outside the south that only use one plate decided it cost half as much to only use one plate. There is no other reason that makes sense.

I think he means the bracket built into the shape of the bumper vs the plate holder nailed into the bumper as a makeshift.. Most cars do not have front bumpers designed to accomodate license plates, but yes, they all ship with the "holder"

Not sure about the initial reason, but the current logic is you are being pulled over from behind, not the front. Therefore, what is the point of having one on the front when it will never be used?

Cost cutting going extreme: as of 08 you do not have the decal for the month and year. They put them both on the same sticker and they saved themselves printing an extra sticker! Now the decal font is so small it is virtually useless since nobody can see it. I suspect they will do away with it altogether eventually and go all digital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Cost cutting going extreme: as of 08 you do not have the decal for the month and year. They put them both on the same sticker and they saved themselves printing an extra sticker! Now the decal font is so small it is virtually useless since nobody can see it. I suspect they will do away with it altogether eventually and go all digital
I noticed the change, but that's smart gov't and smart cost savings that achieves the same result with less cost. I have no issues seeing the sticker, but the color is a little washed out. I applaud that kind of ingenuity. Having one license plate instead of two doesn't accomplish the same goal or provide the same result.

Quote:
Not sure about the initial reason, but the current logic is you are being pulled over from behind, not the front. Therefore, what is the point of having one on the front when it will never be used?
Cars do drive toward you too. Both cops and citizens need to identify cars facing them from the front. In fact back in 1992, the Police union in MA pressured the state to resume issuing 2 plates based on safety. The state had stopped and was only issuing 1 plate due to cost savings. There were a myriad of reasons they cited for having 2 plates and the state agreed and started issuing both plates in 1992.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I noticed the change, but that's smart gov't and smart cost savings that achieves the same result with less cost. I have no issues seeing the sticker, but the color is a little washed out. I applaud that kind of ingenuity. Having one license plate instead of two doesn't accomplish the same goal or provide the same result.

Cars do drive toward you too. Both cops and citizens need to identify cars facing them from the front. In fact back in 1992, the Police union in MA pressured the state to resume issuing 2 plates based on safety. The state had stopped and was only issuing 1 plate due to cost savings. There were a myriad of reasons they cited for having 2 plates and the state agreed and started issuing both plates in 1992.

MA is irrelevant to GA law enforcement.

There is no reason why private individuals need to be concerned with anybody's plates. Period.

When police conduct a stop, they do it from behind you, not in front like they do in europe (aka run out in the road and flag you down with arms flailing... ). This is done for both safety and ease.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
There is no reason why private individuals need to be concerned with anybody's plates. Period.
You're kidding, right? That's ridiculous. So the hit and run victim doesn't need to be concerned? The gas station owner doesn't need to be concerned? The victim of any crime in which a vehicle is used doesn't need to be concerned?

Why do you think most states have front plates? Do you think they do it because it just looks nice?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 PM

Here are some of the comments from one state where a study was done regarding the pros/cons of one license plate versus two.

"Public safety – The front license plate is the only highly reflective item on the front of a motor vehicle. At night, this feature allows drivers to spot oncoming left-of-center vehicles with one headlight out or both headlights not lit (drunk drivers occasionally fail to turn on their headlights). It also allows motorists to spot vehicles at night which have become disabled on the road due to a crash or mechanical failure.

Crime prevention/criminal apprehension – From school bus drivers who observe the front license plate of oncoming motor vehicles which pass their stopped school bus to neighborhood block watch groups which rely upon both front and rear license plates to report suspicious vehicles, the front license plate is both a crime deterrent and tool to apprehend.

Often times witnesses and convenience store clerks use the front plate to identify suspect vehicles when crimes have been committed related to fuel theft and convenience store robberies.

Law enforcement investigatory tool – When investigating hit/skip crashes, law enforcement officers rely upon eyewitness accounts and physical evidence to track down drivers who damage property, injure, and sometimes kill with a complete lack of social responsibility. The front license plate is sometimes the only lead officers possess. The front license plate proves critical as a law enforcement tool in daily auto larceny investigation, DUI enforcement, and even bank robbery and homicide investigations.

Currently, 31 states have both a front and a rear license plate requirement and two states (Connecticut and Massachusetts) have recently returned to using two license plates. Because license plates are cut from large sheets of metal, labor costs are not significantly less for producing one plate instead of two. One cost which may rise however are insurance deductibles which will be paid by innocent motorists who are involved in hit/skip crashes which can no longer be solved without a front license plate.

To our knowledge, there have been not any valid studies that reveal a front-license plate appreciably affects fuel efficiency. However, it is our contention that any potential cost savings would be offset by diminished public safety, crime prevention, and criminal apprehension."

Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM

63 posts, read 223,286 times
Quote:
Every car has a bracket for them. I lived in a state with front plates and it's not a problem. All cars come from the mfg with a front bracket. They just don't get put on in one plate states.

As for the look of the car, you may be right, but that's not a good enough reason. I think the reason the southern states don't have front plates is cost related. At some point in the past, the southern states and the couple of other states outside the south that only use one plate decided it cost half as much to only use one plate. There is no other reason that makes sense.
Sorry the first answer is right most of your sports cars do not have a bracket in the front our Mitsubishi 3000 GT did not have a bracket we had to drill holes for the plate in NY

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmama11961 View Post
Sorry the first answer is right most of your sports cars do not have a bracket in the front our Mitsubishi 3000 GT did not have a bracket we had to drill holes for the plate in NY
I'm willing to go out on a limb here and bet that one exists, but the dealer or seller didn't have one or couldn't get one. Last I checked, they also use front plates in Japan.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
You're kidding, right? That's ridiculous. So the hit and run victim doesn't need to be concerned? The gas station owner doesn't need to be concerned? The victim of any crime in which a vehicle is used doesn't need to be concerned?

Why do you think most states have front plates? Do you think they do it because it just looks nice?
Have you actually tried to read a front license plate in any sort of an actual situation or are you just going on a tangent about "how that other state does it". we ain't that other state.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Have you actually tried to read a front license plate in any sort of an actual situation or are you just going on a tangent about "how that other state does it". we ain't that other state.
I'm not a cop investigating a hit and run or a clerk at a gas station. Rather than asking me questions about anecdotes, how about listening to the cops and others who are professionals and have stated the reasons. I listed some of them for you.

Look, Geogia is probably never going to go to 2 plates so this is a moot argument. I'm done bickering with you.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 AM

150 posts, read 481,873 times
Quote:

Yeah if you moved to Georgia why would you want another states Licence plate on the front anyways. Its legal yes but hopefully theyll change that law. Its bad enough we already allow or states college emblem on Georgia plates. After all if you liked that state so much and were so proud of it you would still be there or move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: