Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times

Advertisements

It is well known that if you don't live in alpharetta, they will not even entertain you. Write and move on is the dept policy. Had several friends arrested there over their own fault, but in most other jurisdictions, they wouldnt have bothered. Personally i never had an issue but i kinda fit in running with the m5s on 400
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 07:51 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlogger View Post
Pay the ticket. You have no defense.
Ditto. Any defense you make would be a lie or your attempt to get out of the ticket and fine....rather than any kind of actual defense.

Unless you can prove that you were not going 87mph, or that the cop used defective equipment to clock you or wasn't visible according to the statute, pay the fine and slow the heck down.

Why are you doing 87mph anyway?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 AM

71 posts, read 202,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Why are you doing 87mph anyway?

...because you failed to notice the OP was from 10/20/2009
lawlz

Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotPilot View Post
lawlz
If you only read updated threads, the display doesn't show you the first page, so the date of the OP isn't always obvious.

I find it interesting that C-D (or more to the point, the makers of this forum software) hasn't/havent make the date a little more obvious when a thread is older, or don't implement some sort of auto-locking feature.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
lawlz
As did the previous couple of comments to mine. Of course my comments and question to the OP are just as valid now as they were 18 months ago.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 AM

71 posts, read 202,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If you only read updated threads, the display doesn't show you the first page, so the date of the OP isn't always obvious.

I find it interesting that C-D (or more to the point, the makers of this forum software) hasn't/havent make the date a little more obvious when a thread is older, or don't implement some sort of auto-locking feature.
You'd think. The most progess I've seen in forum software is a date/time next to the title stating the thread start date. But even then, it stll requires someone paying attention to look at it...which isn't the majority of people posting. When a forum I frequent changed it's format to include the thread start, I found it nice....makes for easy moderation of necro-threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As did the previous couple of comments to mine. Of course my comments and question to the OP are just as valid now as they were 18 months ago.
True, was just a little sarcasm in jest though. But given the statistics of a post from 18 months ago and the poster only having a single post, it's about a 99.9% chance they never checked back up on the thread after making the initial post.

Honestly, the question of "Why were you doing 87 mph?" is like "Why did the chicken cross the road?" in Georgia....the responses are limitless lol. The most plausable answer would be to say "so I don't get run over by other traffic" (c'mon, you know it's true).

Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Honestly, the question of "Why were you doing 87 mph?" is like "Why did the chicken cross the road?" in Georgia....the responses are limitless lol. The most plausable answer would be to say "so I don't get run over by other traffic" (c'mon, you know it's true).
Well, I've been driving for 30 years, in both the most dense urban areas in the world and in more suburban and rural areas, and there is practically no good reason to be doing 87mph.

Maybe...maybe...if you're on the Interstate in Montana or Arizona, without another living being for miles, then going 87mph might be OK. In an area like the Atlanta metro...no one needs to do 87mph.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
I hope she just went ahead and paid the ticket.

For the most part, I really don't understand when people whine about traffic tickets. Not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or doing 47 in a 45 are one thing, but when actions such as the OP create a clear safety hazard, there really is no excuse. I am a firm believer that with the exception of complete stops and arbitrary speed limits (which, of course, is subjective), our roads would be MUCH safer if people followed the law to the letter. Signal your turns and lane changes well in advance. Slower traffic keep right. Yield means you have zero right-of-way. Don't hold up a lane of traffic to cut in line (a pet peeve of mine), unless you're from out-of-town and honestly didn't know what lane to be in. Stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Do not pass across a solid yellow line. Etc., etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM

131 posts, read 320,848 times
If you don't want a ticket, then don't speed. It is your fault; stop whining about it. Yes, you definitely deserved a ticket for doing 87 in a 65. Deal with it.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
For the most part, I really don't understand when people whine about traffic tickets. Not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or doing 47 in a 45 are one thing, but when actions such as the OP create a clear safety hazard, there really is no excuse. I am a firm believer that with the exception of complete stops and arbitrary speed limits (which, of course, is subjective), our roads would be MUCH safer if people followed the law to the letter. Signal your turns and lane changes well in advance. Slower traffic keep right. Yield means you have zero right-of-way. Don't hold up a lane of traffic to cut in line (a pet peeve of mine), unless you're from out-of-town and honestly didn't know what lane to be in. Stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk. Do not pass across a solid yellow line. Etc., etc.
We agree, and in many parts of the US, most (not all) drivers come closer to that standard. Here in the south...not so much. Just the simple acts of not tailgating and using your turn signal can make a huge difference. Why people here...the overwhelming majority...follow too closely and refuse to use signals....just baffles me. Is it the instruction? Licensing? What is the mental block people in the south (not just Atlanta) have?

While I'm not one to sing the praises of Europe, when it comes to driving, they are generally much better than Americans. Whether on old and poorly marked city streets or on Autobahns without a speed limit, they generally take driving very seriously and are much more careful. The penalties and enforcement are also much more severe, not to mention that a crash at 200mph is likely to be deadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia