U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraBear View Post
The good and the bad about Dahlonega, Ga? That's easy. Remote with few retail stores, very religous, a lot of hillbillies, a lot of tourist, a lot of college kids, a lot of white people. Now...good or bad? Depends on who you are and how you see it. Can go either way ;]
Yup. That about sums it up. Don't really know what the point of the white people was. But, it is definetly true. And the college kids? Well that's true too.I guess if you were black or didn't like college kids you would want to stear clear of the area.I guess that was the point.
And religious? This IS the bible belt. Lots of churches and lots of religion!
There's a lot of great country/bluegrass music up here too.Pretty mountains. And October is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,959 times
I transferred to Dahlonega for a short time. I visited the area and thought, how nice. Great stores, pretty mountains, college, hospital, and it seemed quite diverse. Boy, was I wrong. The only people of color are the college students. The gays that own a few (very few) of the stores are being tormented and chased out of town by the bible totting Christians that monitor every street corner.All right, that's an exaggeration. But you get the point .Medical care is horrible. Shopping other than on the square, is non-existent. And the people don't like you if you are an outsider. With the exception being the tourist, shopping on the square. They are very nice to them.What you see on the square is not what you get. I didn't want to raise my kids there. That was my choice.We left.Went to Alpharetta. I guess for some, this town may be for you. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wasn't quit redneckish.
The college students don't appear to be that way. But then again, few actually stay after graduating.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:57 PM

32 posts, read 48,051 times
I don't think it is a religious town at all, I do live here. I don't atend any church , and I have never felt pressure to. That is just BS. I was raised here in Dahlonega, my military family came here when the place only had one small grocery store. I grew up in a beautiful, yet
diverse small town and I appreciate that.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
I don't think it is a religious town at all, I do live here. I don't atend any church , and I have never felt pressure to. That is just BS. I was raised here in Dahlonega, my military family came here when the place only had one small grocery store. I grew up in a beautiful, yet
diverse small town and I appreciate that.
I've lived here 22 years. I do think this is a religious town. I think most attend church. However, most also do not pressure others .Some do. I've heard horror stories and do not believe those few represent the town as a whole. But, it is absolutly religious. And diverse? I'm not so sure about that statement either. Most are pretty set in their ways around here.
Guess it's just a matter of opinion.One thing we agree on is it's beauty!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,757 times
Having bought our home in 2006 and moving here permanently in 2008 from the Sun Coast, we have loved every moment of it. Yes, there are two sides of Dahlonega; Residential and Touristy. We enjoy both. The "Fine" dining on and around the square means good food, friendly staff a casual clothing, at reasonable prices. We have found the local merchants friendly and honest. They don't seem to care whether you are a tourist or a "local". Complete strangers will speak to you as you walk around the square. A local tire dealer knocked $50 of his QUOTED price when we went in two weeks later saying "I got them for less than I was quoted". How many merchants would pass on that kind of discount after quoting you a written quote.

We are close enough to several large shopping malls, if that is a need. We do have a Super Wal-Mart and a local grocery that actually has butchers that know their business. The economy is down and unemployment is up, but we just had a new neighbor move in from Clearwater and found a job teaching in Gainesville, so jobs ARE available in the area.

If you are into community theater, we have a lovely restored movie theater in town that puts on several productions throughout the year, along with several other live events and first run movies when the stage isn't being used for other things.

We looked for almost two years in the Northeast Georgia area and when we found Dahlonega, we stopped looking.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:45 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,126,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrooks46 View Post
Having bought our home in 2006 and moving here permanently in 2008 from the Sun Coast, we have loved every moment of it. Yes, there are two sides of Dahlonega; Residential and Touristy. We enjoy both. The "Fine" dining on and around the square means good food, friendly staff a casual clothing, at reasonable prices. We have found the local merchants friendly and honest. They don't seem to care whether you are a tourist or a "local". Complete strangers will speak to you as you walk around the square. A local tire dealer knocked $50 of his QUOTED price when we went in two weeks later saying "I got them for less than I was quoted". How many merchants would pass on that kind of discount after quoting you a written quote.

We are close enough to several large shopping malls, if that is a need. We do have a Super Wal-Mart and a local grocery that actually has butchers that know their business. The economy is down and unemployment is up, but we just had a new neighbor move in from Clearwater and found a job teaching in Gainesville, so jobs ARE available in the area.

If you are into community theater, we have a lovely restored movie theater in town that puts on several productions throughout the year, along with several other live events and first run movies when the stage isn't being used for other things.

We looked for almost two years in the Northeast Georgia area and when we found Dahlonega, we stopped looking.
Do you miss anything about the SunCoast...
thanks...

Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 14,280 times
Default I live in Dahlonega

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNail4500 View Post
I transferred to Dahlonega for a short time. I visited the area and thought, how nice. Great stores, pretty mountains, college, hospital, and it seemed quite diverse. Boy, was I wrong. The only people of color are the college students. The gays that own a few (very few) of the stores are being tormented and chased out of town by the bible totting Christians that monitor every street corner.All right, that's an exaggeration. But you get the point . Medical care is horrible. Shopping other than on the square, is non-existent. And the people don't like you if you are an outsider. With the exception being the tourist, shopping on the square. They are very nice to them.What you see on the square is not what you get. I didn't want to raise my kids there. That was my choice.We left.Went to Alpharetta. I guess for some, this town may be for you. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wasn't quit redneckish.
The college students don't appear to be that way. But then again, few actually stay after graduating.

I have been in Dahlonega for seven years, and no I am not "redneckish". I grew up in Alpharetta and I hate the new hustle and bustle on North Fulton (I grew up there in the 70's and 80's when it was still a small town) I wanted to raise my kids in a town that still had some family values and a sense of community but also with easy access to Atlanta. Dahlonega is a great fit for that! I have also lived in Cumming, Roswell, and Gainesville.

I don't know anything about the people of Dahlonega "running the gays out of town", but the statement is true about people of color. Dahlonega is predominantly white. As far as the people here “Bible totting”, well at least I have never experienced that. I imagine there are far more ‘closed minded’ religious communities, and Dahlonega has its fair share of Churches, but I seriously doubt Dahlonega would make the list as a serious Bible Thumping town. The College kids here are not like the ones out in Athens. Athens is a party all night town. Dahlonega is a sleepy little town. There isn't much shopping here but the outlets are ten minutes away and North Point mall is just 30 miles or so staright down 400.

As far as “Medical care is horrible.” I have to disagree with that as well. Although I don’t highly recommend the local hospital, the local Doctors are as good as any and there are two other hospitals within reasonable driving distance. (Gainesville and Cumming) I live near Georgia 400 so everything is convenient to me including the hospitals in Atlanta (I have a special needs child and we frequently go to Scottish Rite. It is a 45 drive from my house, ALL highway miles)

If you move to Gainesville, stay away from Down town. Its dumpy and industrial. The Sardis area is very nice with great public charter schools. The Sardis area is ten miles from my house and approx 20 miles to down town Dahlonega.
Good Luck with your move….

Last edited by DahlonegaMom; 02-22-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Oh yeah... and unlike the previous poster, I have been welcomed in like family even though I am an "outsider". I would imagine that that post was written by some one who doesn't play well with others so to speak because the people of Dahlonega have been wonderful to me and my family.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 AM

in defending the good people of Dahlonega, I forgot to point out a really ugly thing about the government here. They charge out the rear for you to use ground water (from your own property!) The "average" bill here for well-water is now $70+ a month for a family of 4.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,126,434 times
hows that even possible....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia