U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM

21 posts, read 3,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
Two other towns I'd put on the list if your work happens to be in the Marietta area are, Canton and Jasper.
Canton probably wouldn't fit his criteria, for it is an outer suburb. There would likely be too much congestion for his liking. Yet, the congestion isn't as heavy as you'd find in Marietta, and it is the last area along I-575 that is suburbanized until you hit the rural areas. Furthermore, Canton is the closest to the mountains of all the Atlanta suburbs, given that Jasper is the furthest south mountain town and Canton is or is close to being the furthest north Atlanta suburb. They're only about 20-25 miles from each other.

Jasper is a steady drive down Ga 515/I-575 to Canton and the suburbs, where he'd have all he'd need, in terms of conveniences found within a metro area. The trip to Marietta is about 45 miles or so, which would take anywhere from 40-60 minutes, depending on traffic. Marietta is about 20-25 miles from Canton and about a 25 minute drive. Some parts of northern Marietta along Canton Road are only about ten miles from the southern parts of Canton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM

64 posts, read 153,368 times
countryfried - why do they move back?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM

64 posts, read 153,368 times
Nevermind. I've found my own answer as I've since read the posts from other threads. That "outsider" mentality is here too. Funny - the ones who treated me the best when I moved here and continue to be good neighbors and friends were other "outsiders". I understand how one could be upset when "others" come in and want to change/destroy the place they've always loved. Sometimes those thoughts cross my mind too. While I "get it" I won't waste my time on people that don't give me a fair chance just because I did not grow up here. It's like dealing with a black hole. All your good deeds and energy get drained by the negativity. I can see that attitude making some folks want to leave before they ever really get settled. I'm reminded of the holier than thou woman down the street that bad mouths all them "outsiders" and how she doesn't like them or trust them yet she has a registered sex offender son, a known thief daughter and a drug dealer son.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,451,771 times
Dahlonega, Ellijay, Cleveland, Helen, Dawsonville, Jasper, Cumming...Cumming, Dawson, & Dahlonega are within 1hr of Atlanta (not factoring traffic) the others may be a little outside that. Unless you can find a job in Alpharetta or Gainesville or another 'burb...then you can go further up and still be within an hour.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,534 times
Look at Big Canoe, GA. Between Jasper and Dawsonville. Not a town but a 8,000 acre community. Less then 30min to new shopping and 1 hr to north Atlanta.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,744,393 times
Be prepared for boredom, inconvenience, isolation. Tried it for 2 years.

But, adding to the list, look at Towns County (Hiawassee, Young Harris) east of Blairsville.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,962,774 times
Depending on what the OP's job requirements are, it might make sense to consider Gainesville and/or Rome. Neither are true "mountain towns" but they are both very close to mountains and national forest land. They also both have the benefit of being small cities that can provide some decent job opportunities that places like Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Helen, and Dahlonega simply cannot provide.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,510 times
I too would like to move there one day in the near future, but fear I may end up not liking it and have to move back and to florida and start all over again.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM

4,738 posts, read 3,075,070 times
I spend half my time in Blue Ridge. It's a lovely town with beautiful mountain surroundings. Lake Blue Ridge is very pretty. Not sure about apartments, but I'd check with realtors about rental houses. Nearby Blairsville, a bit larger, is also nice. To the north on the Tennessee border (15 miles) are Duck Town and Copperhill. You might want to also consider Toccoa. It's in the north east Georgia mountains.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,527,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Nearby Blairsville, a bit larger, is also nice.
Actually, Blairsville is smaller, so is Union County as a whole, but not by much.

Blairsville pop. roughly 700 (Union County 21,000)
Blue Ridge pop. roughly 1200 (Fannin County 22,500)

But I agree... both are great little towns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia