U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM

44 posts, read 228,983 times

Advertisements

We live in South Georgia and our electricity is through Georgia Power. Folks, I don't know about you, but our electric bill has literally doubled in the past four to five years. My mother, who is 80 years old and lives in a small, modest home has an electric bill that has quadrupled in the past month. Her electric bill usually runs not over $100.00 each month and this past month it was over $400.00.

We have talked to quite a few people about this and their normally $150.00 - $200.00 a month bill has gone up to over $350.00 per month. Some friends of ours have electric and gas. They do live in an older home that is hard to heat, but their bill was $600.00.

Some people have their electrical through REA and various other companies, but there is one theme in common. Everyone's electric bill has skyrocketed.

We called Georgia Power and they confirmed that they have increased their rates, but this is ridiculous. It seems as though every power company in this area has decided to send people to the "poor house" through high electric bills. Has Cap and Trade secretly been passed in the middle of the night????

Have your bills increased??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,886,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dawg View Post
We've only been here for four (4) years and a few months, but I've not really noticed an increase. Greystone Power.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM

199 posts, read 585,844 times
was it extra cold in your neighborhood last month???? DUH!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:52 PM

18,082 posts, read 37,009,837 times
Alabama Power actually decreased our rates by 7% begining this month (we'll see), they stated they could do this since fuel prices are lower than last year. It's strange since it's the same parent company (Southern Company).

Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM

15,684 posts, read 11,452,458 times
There may be fluctuations from the source of the electricity sold to you.
TVA power sources, in the north, are far cheaper than other sources.
Here's a map of their power plants:
Plants - Georgia Power

TVA: Frequently Asked Questions About TVA
How do TVA’s rates compare with those of other power companies?

TVA electricity costs less than most electricity produced around the nation. For residents in the TVA region, the average cost of one kilowatt-hour — the amount electricity it takes to burn ten 100-watt light bulbs for one hour — is 6.4 cents, while the national average is 8.5 cents.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 PM

1,941 posts, read 8,725,492 times
I don't know exactly what I'm paying per kw/hr at the moment, but my bill has dramatically increased; its because the heat's been running a lot.

My winter bill is normally $170 and the last couple have been about $250.

My buddy down the road said his bill was $500 last month when its normally $200; we found a problem in the heater though that had it running almost all day long.

I don't think the rates have increased that much. We're just using a lot of power because of the cold.

Did you hear its supposed to snow here tomorrow? I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,563 times
I have Georgia Power. My rates are really low. With the exception of December-January, my bill is usually about 70$ for a 2 bedroom-2 bath - 2 person single home.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:00 AM

136 posts, read 447,435 times
We've had an exceptionally cold winter. Those of you who have electric heat heat most likely have a heat pump which is notoriously inefficient in cold weather. I have one and am feeling the pain this winter.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM

44 posts, read 228,983 times
Default High Electric Bills

I have personally talked with residents in surrounding counties who live in brick homes, older homes, have storefronts, etc. etc. Some have total electric and some have gas and electric. The folks I have spoken with all have electric bills from different companies and this includes single occupant homes, family homes and even businesses.

Again in the Vidalia, Tarrytown, Mount Vernon, Ailey, Metter and surrounding towns and communities near Interstate 16, the consensus is extremely high electric bills. The bills have increased almost $250.00 - $300.00 in one month. This entire area is near the Plant Hatch Nuclear Energy Plant in Baxley. I have not talked with anyone above the Macon line, but down here in the Middle to South Georgia area, the bills have literally doubled and some have quadrupled.

I know that it has been a very cold winter and that the heat is running constantly, but I have never seen bills increase by this much. I'm just wondering if this increase is temporary through the winter months or if this will carry over into the summer.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 PM

767 posts, read 2,130,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Dawg View Post
You really need to go back and look at your monthly KWH usage. It should be on your bill. If it has doubled or tripled,thats not the fault of the electrical supplier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia