U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 PM

14 posts, read 103,268 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I might be relocating to Marietta, GA within the next few months to work around the Marietta area. Looking at the crime statistics for atlanta and its suburbs made me a little uncomfortable. Marietta alone seemed to have a fairly high level of rapes and murders for a suburb.

Am I off base? How bad is the crime in the area? I'd like my gf to feel safe if we end up moving there.

Anything else you would like to tell me about Marietta or nice surrounding towns that I could commute from would be fantastic! Oh, I do have a dog that would need some space to run somewhere... a dog park perhaps?

Mostly though I'm concerned about safety. I'm moving from an incredibly safe suburb of Rochester, NY. Crime is pretty minor around these parts (unless you wander into the city - but atlanta seems to have rochester beat.)

Thanks again,
Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 PM

985 posts, read 4,165,547 times
Like many places in Atanta, it really depends where you live in city. If you live in East Marietta (Walton High School), it is as safe as you can be. However, if you live some other part of Marietta, it is not safe. Just need to drive around and find out. It is very obvious.

If you want whole safe suburb, you may have to check Suwanee, Alpharatta. Duluth in general is very safe except Gwinnett Place Mall area. Hopefully, the new purposed high risers in Gwinnett place Mall will change that.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 AM

1,089 posts, read 4,511,932 times
The problem with crime stats in Georgia is cities don’t generally annex very much land. Even though Marietta is considered one of the larger cities in the ATL metro it really isn’t that big. All cities have bad parts but when the incorporated part of the city is just the center you usually end up concentrating all the crime in the city limits while most of the nice parts are in the county. Most of the area that is considered to be Marietta isn’t actually in the city limits. For instance, the area that was mentioned above (east Marietta) isn’t actually in the city limits.

The areas to stay away from are anything inside Marietta Pkwy, stuff just to the north and south of Marietta Pkwy, places along and to the east of Powder Springs Rd and stuff south within a half mile of South Cobb Pkwy. Of course there are other pockets of bad neighborhoods but these are the major areas to stay away from. In general other areas in the city or with city addresses are safe and you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info guys... I'm trying to feel more comfortable about being able to find a safe neighborhood down there if I end up moving.

Are there nice small towns around Marietta within say a 20 minute commute (to Marietta, not Atlanta itself,) that are pretty safe?

Thanks for the suggestions of those other towns, but according to my mapping the commute to Marietta from those towns would be pretty significant, especially with your crazy traffic! Alpheratta wouldn't be as bad... 30 min without traffic, but with traffic I'm figuring that would be much much longer.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Bob

Old 07-28-2006, 02:20 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,695,956 times
First thing you need to learn here is that there is no such thing as, "without traffic" when calculating driving times in Atlanta. Unless you literally go to work at midnight to 4am, there is always traffic. Our PM rush "hour" is from 3:00pm until about 7:00pm each day, to give you an idea.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
First thing you need to learn here is that there is no such thing as, "without traffic" when calculating driving times in Atlanta.
Oh I know... I was just saying that according to google maps it would take about 30 min... so it would probably take MUCH longer since google doesn't factor in traffic.

Anyway... traffic I'll deal with. Crime is my main concern.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-28-2006, 03:44 PM

Another thing you can do is to check Scan Cobb, Scan Gwinnett, Scan Fulton web site. You will have good idea where is crime.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 PM

I'm not seeing those websites.... are you saying those places have high crime? Or that those web sites tell you where bad neighborhoods are?

Old 07-28-2006, 04:33 PM

1,089 posts, read 4,511,932 times
You don't need to go all the way to Alpharetta to find a neighborhood with low crime rates. Look at places around Marietta (have Marietta addresses) but are in the County. Also Kennesaw or Aceworth are fairly close as well as Vinnings (depends on what part of Marietta you are working in). There are lots of places nearby which are fairly low crime. Once you get out of the inner city of Marietta you will find million dollar houses.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:00 PM

go to google, search for "Scan gwinnet". It should have a web site. This is web site listed last 30 days crimes in Gwinnett, for example. It also links Gwinnet county jail. If you check out the address of those inmates or where the crime committed, you have good ideas where you should avoid to go. That's what I check out when I first move to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia