Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 01:15 AM

8 posts, read 27,197 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I am considering making the move to Georgia from California. I have been itching to move to the South since I was a little girl (I am 20 now), and Georgia is the place that always seems to be on my mind : )

Ideally, I would like to live in a small town, say, 10 to 30K, where people talk to their neighbors and kids can actually play in their own yards...

So my family has lived in the same city right outside of San Francisco for over four generations, and no one ever leaves. Ever. Needless to say my mom and grandma are not to happy with the idea of me moving so far. They are seriously concerned about me encountering prejudice/racism. No matter how many times I tell them that racism is everywhere, not just in the South, I can't seem to ease their fears.

For my family's peace of mind and some peace and quiet for me, I would like to hear from real locals/natives of any places that might satisfy us both, that is, a true southern small town, without the backward thinking.

Anything helps, and I hope this didn't offend anyone, I am not trying to imply that Georgia is a place full of backward thinkers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 AM

470 posts, read 1,496,690 times
There are some nice small towns outside of Athens. Athens is home to the University of Georgia and has a lot for a 20 something to do. But, you don't have to live there. You can go to Bishop, Watkinsville, Winterville, Comer, Lexington or any of a myriad of small towns just a short ride away from a not so big city with a lot of the amenities that you get in a city. And no, guns are not mandatory, although, in the smaller towns you will find hunting a part of life for many.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,311,650 times
Crazy question, that I'm sure mom and grandma have raised- what do you plan on doing for work in this little southern town of 10,000?

There are many small southern towns that fit your description, but many of them are in the middle of nowhere and offer little to no employment- especially for an outsider. There are also many small towns in/around the Atlanta metro area that would suit your needs of "where people talk to their neighbors and kids can actually play in their own yards", but may not offer you the small-town southern "goodness me, I do decla' " that you also seem to be looking for.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 27,197 times
thanks for the replies, to answer Bobkovac's question, I have my cosmetology license, but im also going to school to get my degree in linguistics...I realize it can be pretty hard to find a job in that field anywhere..but I have my cosmetology license to fall back on, and everyone needs their hair cut right?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 3,906 times
I hope that you are ready to adjust to the culture here. Don't worry about racism. I was raised here and have never had a racist experience.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM

13 posts, read 34,367 times
I have lived in Georgia almost my whole life. Racism is still a fact, but is very subtile. Many (perhaps most ) of the churches have mixed congregations ( black, white, and hispanics). There are few asians in our area, so I haven't seen any in church. You shouldn't encounter discrimination in employment, housing, etc. Finding work here is problematic though. The Martinez / Evans area near Augusta are somewhat affluent, and should afford you good opportunities. I went to college and lived in Americus, GA, and found it to be a nice quiet place to live. There is several small industries in town and a good farming businesses so that the area is holding it's own with the economic downturn.

I am not surprised about your folks concern about Georgia. When my uncle came from England to visit in 1968, his wife required him to bring his own sheets and pillow as she was not sure how civilized we were.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,203 times
I hope you might consider Thomasville in the southwestern corner of the state. We have a diverse economy, including a Fortune 500 company that is headquartered here and reasonably priced housing. The amount of cultural events might surprise you. A big plus is having Tallahassee, Florida only 30 miles away. I have personally met many people here that have moved from all parts of the country and love it. Please keep an open mind and don't listen to a lot of the negativity, because times are tough everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia