U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2006, 07:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,913,403 times

Advertisements

Hi, we put an offer on a house in Fayetteville. One of the constingencies of the contract is that we can get several remodeling jobs done on the house. The realtor was supposed to get is estimates last week but so far nothing has happened.

We need a good paint contractor for the inside of the house and someone who knows how to apply "knockdown". A tile guy to remove about 6oo sq ft of tile in the basement and retile it with a different tile, estimate building a bathroom in the already plumbed basement, install recessed lighting thruout the house and to enlarge the deck and add a "roof" and screened in area over a good part of that deck making it a combination deck and screened in porch ( it's on the 2nd floor of the house). Install a new heating/a/c system for the basement which will be independent of the rest of the house.

The contract will expire and we will not consumate the sale if we can't get estimates.

If someone knows any contractors, etc, would you please let us know?

Thank you in advance
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 15,428 times
Default remodel

Hello again since u know from my post Sharpsburg. I have been thinking of moving to the area. I have looked up a few remodelers thinking of a non-sub-division house. I found Tsquareremodling. com also check out cowetafayette.com. Hope this helps

Scott

Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM

Thanks Scott, we just got a local yellow pages and the realtor actually made a slew of calls and appointments with painters, electrician, tile guys, deck and roof guy.

We should have estimates in the next couple of days. If they are within reason then we'll return to the area, meet with the people who gave those estimates and proceed to close on the place.

If we get positive news, I'll post about it. If we proceed and buy the house, do the remodeling I'll post that too, good or bad.

Relocating to a new state, buying and remodeling a house can be a daunting task !

Tom

Old 08-01-2006, 04:54 PM

56 posts, read 280,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo
Thanks Scott, we just got a local yellow pages and the realtor actually made a slew of calls and appointments with painters, electrician, tile guys, deck and roof guy.

We should have estimates in the next couple of days. If they are within reason then we'll return to the area, meet with the people who gave those estimates and proceed to close on the place.

If we get positive news, I'll post about it. If we proceed and buy the house, do the remodeling I'll post that too, good or bad.

Relocating to a new state, buying and remodeling a house can be a daunting task !

Tom

I little advice about having work done in Georgia, do not pay in full until it's done, make sure they are bonded or insured, The contractor and the subcontractor they use can each place a lean on your house if you do not pay or the sub didn't get paid by the contractor. So if you pay 1/2 then hold 1/2 untill work is done then this helps with the subs getting paid.

Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 AM

Thanks Southernguyga, sounds no different than anywhere else really although Fla has gotten tough on those types who do those things and have gone as far as putting some of them in jail for what you are describing.

We got a few estimates yesterday and I'm somewhat shocked over the costs.

Awaiting a few more estimates and then we'll see if we are in fact going to give the state of Ga some of our income in order to live there.

Rgrds
Tom

Old 08-26-2006, 09:35 PM

Here's the update

we made it a contingency on the contract we submitted for the house in Fayetteville that we would be able to get fair estimates on simple renovations. Not only were we insulted more than once in response to those renovations (70,000. for paint, tile for 1,000 sq ft and renovations to a deck that entailed about 100 sq ft) but absolutely shocked at the sheer laziness displayed by the people there. So much laziness that I would submit that perhaps there's procreation via surrogates. How else?

Hence the contract has fallen thru, the poor sellers house remains for sale after 267 days, the lazy realtor I suppose is pitching the next "client" on his "professional services" while I would guess, collects welfare.

Funny thing is I almost backed off and bought the place, opting to pay people from Fla to go up there and do the renovations.

On second thought, Nah

If anyone is looking in that area and wants names of contractors to avoid, pm me and I'll be glad to pass the information along.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:39 PM

2,156 posts, read 10,083,359 times
Mr Tudo
what a shame that you encountered those problems with contractors who sound more like lazy rip-off artists than honest and reasonable business people.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Mr Tudo
what a shame that you encountered those problems with contractors who sound more like lazy rip-off artists than honest and reasonable business people.
Thanks Southside. The experience was not unlike our experience right after Hurricane Charley when many many vipers decended on Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda to take advantage.

I didn't see it coming in Ga though

Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 AM

9 posts, read 19,668 times
Default contractor

I can help you out if you like 770-252-2102 live near there..Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or