Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,005 times

Advertisements

I think it is the worst bit of news I have heard this year. The men gave their all for this country, and were willing to die so some of you fat headed people could have a nice job and house and all of the benifits these veterns sacraficed their lives for/// I think you decision stinks and is a rotten way to thank them. I do believe you could have cut some ridiculus things that have no merit than have to put these hero's out on the street. If wasn't for them you may not have the things you do/// Please search your mind and pray for these men////
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,118,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasstranger View Post
I think it is the worst bit of news I have heard this year. The men gave their all for this country, and were willing to die so some of you fat headed people could have a nice job and house and all of the benifits these veterns sacraficed their lives for/// I think you decision stinks and is a rotten way to thank them. I do believe you could have cut some ridiculus things that have no merit than have to put these hero's out on the street. If wasn't for them you may not have the things you do/// Please search your mind and pray for these men////
A couple of months ago, when this was first announced, I wrote to my state Representative, state Senator, the Gov., and the Lt. Gov. What I got back was a bunch of boiler plate responses about tough budget decisions and economic challenges. I also started this thread here at C-D, and it was met with apathy.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...ue-budget.html

It does seem a bit hard to swallow that we can never find a few bucks for the men and women who put their lives on the line to defend us, but we can spare $120 Billion for AIG. I know one is federal and one is state, but in general, we seem to use people when they are young to provide our defense, and then cast them out in the street when they're old and sick.

It makes me mad and a bit ashamed. I have given constantly to Veterans organizations over the years and wish I could do more. I hope this Veterans Day that everyone will remember the men and women who have given their all, as well as the ones we welcomed home but now throw out in the street.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,213,904 times
i knew nothing of this until this thread. the AJC article talked about a special meeting to discuss this; i'm assuming from the date of the article then that it is final they will close it? I will call my state rep about it, and encourage others to do the same.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 AM

107 posts, read 307,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
A couple of months ago, when this was first announced, I wrote to my state Representative, state Senator, the Gov., and the Lt. Gov. What I got back was a bunch of boiler plate responses about tough budget decisions and economic challenges. I also started this thread here at C-D, and it was met with apathy.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/georg...ue-budget.html

It does seem a bit hard to swallow that we can never find a few bucks for the men and women who put their lives on the line to defend us, but we can spare $120 Billion for AIG. I know one is federal and one is state, but in general, we seem to use people when they are young to provide our defense, and then cast them out in the street when they're old and sick.

It makes me mad and a bit ashamed. I have given constantly to Veterans organizations over the years and wish I could do more. I hope this Veterans Day that everyone will remember the men and women who have given their all, as well as the ones we welcomed home but now throw out in the street.
Sadly most americans consider military service a last resort job and therefore have no sympathy for them after the fact.
You will always hear statements such as..

Nobody forced them to join
We paid them for the job
They knew the risks before the started
I would never allow my children to join
They are not sick but just trying to get something for nothing

According to latest fed statistics over 300,000 homeless vets are on the streets EVERY NIGHT!!

Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,118,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courier23 View Post
Sadly most americans consider military service a last resort job and therefore have no sympathy for them after the fact.
You will always hear statements such as..

Nobody forced them to join
We paid them for the job
They knew the risks before the started
I would never allow my children to join
They are not sick but just trying to get something for nothing
Many of these folks are WWII, Korea, and Vietnam era vets. Most were drafted and had no choice but to leave civilian life and serve. I put this under the same column as police...many people criticize the cops, but when someone is breaking down your door in the middle of the night, those same people dial 911 and plead for a cop to save them.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,580 times
I dont' know if this is an active forum. Nonetheless, I currently reside in the Indiana State Veterans' Home. We have had a number of changes (privitazations) since I have come here. And, it gets worse! One of two dining halls was closed forcing the residents in one bldg. to have to walk a minimum of 1/4 mile one way ... some in wheelchairs, others in walkers. The dining hall was closed under the auspices of renovation of an adjacent bldg. The food is under/over-cooked ... mostly starches, carbohydrates, and fats!!! Apathy is not the word for how many here feel! We fear further drastic reductions!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:07 AM

11,334 posts, read 25,972,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhutZatSmell View Post
I dont' know if this is an active forum. Nonetheless, I currently reside in the Indiana State Veterans' Home. We have had a number of changes (privitazations) since I have come here. And, it gets worse! One of two dining halls was closed forcing the residents in one bldg. to have to walk a minimum of 1/4 mile one way ... some in wheelchairs, others in walkers. The dining hall was closed under the auspices of renovation of an adjacent bldg. The food is under/over-cooked ... mostly starches, carbohydrates, and fats!!! Apathy is not the word for how many here feel! We fear further drastic reductions!
This is an active forum, but the post you're addressing is from November 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia