U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,585,285 times

Advertisements

Report: Georgia to outlaw left-lane slowpokes — Autoblog

cleared house with massive majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 AM

7,738 posts, read 10,014,918 times
Stupid. Just make it illegal to ride in the left lane unless passing, no matter what speed, like almost every other state. The problem is idiots riding in the passing lane, not the speed they're traveling.

In my humble opinion, GA needs to completely overhaul it's driver testing and the cops need to start enforcing traffic laws. It's painfully apparent when I travel how really bad the driving is here, at least in Atlanta. Some blame newcomers, but if that's the case, they're not driving that way back where they came from, so is it the lax enforcement here (and it is very lax at least on the highways)?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:20 PM

the current law is an advisory law. but few people know that.

the only thing they can currently get you for is impeding the flow of traffic. which is just terribly unreliable to prove

so what do you want them to enforce?! if there's money to be made, they will enforce it. otherwise, nah. rule of thumb: if its not worth ticketing, it's not worth pulling over.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
so what do you want them to enforce?
For starters:

- Excessive speed (not talking 5 or 10 over) on expressways and secondary roads

- tailgating (and speeding up to my bumper, sitting there for a few minutes, then cutting off the guy next to me in the other lane )

- turn signals

- aggressive driving and weaving (while speeding, tailgating, no directional)

- Defective equipment. Get those unsafe and polluting junkers off the road.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 AM

None of this has any bearing on this bill.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
None of this has any bearing on this bill.
You asked what I want enforced. I told you.

People riding in the left lane is a problem in most US states but most states have laws on the books and most will enforce them. GA does neither but yet passes a ridiculous law that essentially says it's OK to ride the passing lane as long as you go fast enough.

Ever try to do 55 in the left lane on I-285? That's ridiculous, but if you go faster, then you're technically speeding. The problem is people in the passing lane, not their speed.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 AM

218 posts, read 371,331 times
I'm trying to imagine Atlanta traffic with everyone in the right lane except to pass. And having an extremely hard time picturing that, especially on the Downtown Connector. Twelve out of fourteen lanes virtually unused. :P

Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I'm trying to imagine Atlanta traffic with everyone in the right lane except to pass. And having an extremely hard time picturing that, especially on the Downtown Connector. Twelve out of fourteen lanes virtually unused. :P
There is a big difference between major urban roads and more rural interstate highways. Still when you ride on roads like I-85, 285, or 75 during NON-RUSH HOUR, then there is nothing silly or strange about not riding the left lane. There is plenty of capacity and plenty of room for everyone to drive a fairly constant speed without bunching and to pass to the left.

The problem we have is that people sit in the passing lane, so others fly at 80 mph to pass on the right, then fly across 4 lanes of traffic to try and get past one car doing 70 mph. In the process they cut off two or three other cars and create a mess.

The proper way to drive is for relatively slower traffic to keep to the right and for faster traffic to ride in the middle lanes, and for everyone to pass on the left. Ever been to Europe?

Of course in rush hour it doesn't matter as much. If everyone is doing 40 mph then it's not as big of a deal is it?

Old 03-27-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post

I just dreamed up a vision of heaven

Old 03-27-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You asked what I want enforced. I told you.

People riding in the left lane is a problem in most US states but most states have laws on the books and most will enforce them. GA does neither but yet passes a ridiculous law that essentially says it's OK to ride the passing lane as long as you go fast enough.

Ever try to do 55 in the left lane on I-285? That's ridiculous, but if you go faster, then you're technically speeding. The problem is people in the passing lane, not their speed.

No. I asked what do you want to enforce in regard to the current "keep right" advisory law. It is basically not enforceable except for impeding traffic. Good luck with that

The new law will make it possible for the "old" one to be enforced. Short version. There you have it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia