Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM

276 posts, read 1,123,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
nibseysgirl - you can't walk to shopping in Cumming. You will get run over by a car if you try. It will be difficult for you to find much in the suburbs where you can walk to a variety of shopping. You might find a situation where your home is close to a grocery store or something, but your neighbors would think you were odd if you walked there. Everything is so spread out, you really need a car. Of course there are exceptions, but I am just saying Cumming isn't likely to have abundant options for you.

Cold weather - our first frost is end of October, last frost is mid-April. We have some really nice days during the winter. It can be sunny and 70 degrees at Christmastime, or 30 degrees and rainy. If you don't park your car in the garage you will need an ice scraper for your windsheild. We have maybe one major ice storm per year, occasional light snow. When that happens, the schools shut down and everybody stays home, so no big deal as long as your power doesn't go out. You will need a winter coat, but you won't need to wear it every day in the winter.
Twinkletoes,
Thanks so much. I appreciate the post and your comments. Do you have any suggestions on what counties,towns, cities(not big) would be good to relocate a northener living in Fl at the moment....We are doing as much research as we can. Cumming just sounded like a nice place to raise a family. Home, school and church as well as conviences are all important to us...Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Suwanee is nice, good jobs and housing. They have a town park with coffee shops and eateries built around it. It is outside of Atlanta, so you don't have to deal with the traffic on a regular basis, but I can be in downtown Atlanta in 45 minutes if I so desire.

We have Starbucks, rain, four seasons, and lots of greenery.
Can you tell me more about this area? Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 PM

273 posts, read 1,751,463 times
I've been posting a lot about Suwanee - I feel like I'm doing a commercial LOL. Anyway, look for some of my other posts about Suwanee.

It's north of Atlanta between Duluth and Buford, near Lawrenceville. It all sort of runs together. It is near I-85 and the main arteries of Buford Highway and Peachtree Industrial run through it, so plenty of ways to get to work.

Suwanee is part of the Gwinnett County school system. Peachtree Ridge High School is only a few years old and is excellent. The middle school was re-districted recently, so older stats may not give you a good picture. Don't know much about the elementary schools, but everyone says the teachers are great.

There has been recent retail building in Suwanee. We have 2 major grocery stores, plus a smaller Fresh Market store for gourmet items. Starbucks and fast food are available, plus a couple of places for a nice dinner. There is a small park where they occasionally have concerts and I think the Farmers Market is there too every other Saturday. You can stroll around in the evening, get ice cream or coffee, play with the kids there.

Crime is low. I haven't read the stats, but that is my perception. I haven't experienced any crime and feel safe by myself.

Housing is abundant and affordable. You can get a 4br house for less than 200k. There is new housing construction going on if that's what you want.

Atlanta has bunches of churches of all kinds, so you should have no problem finding one you like. They are very friendly to newcomers.

If you really need a housing situation with walk-to shopping, there is a planned community that has houses, townhomes, a bank, the Fresh Market, and places to eat. I think they might be adding a non-denominational church, but not sure. It is on the corner of McGinnis Ferry and Peachtree Industrial and is called Suwanee something.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,874 times
Suwanee is nice. Actually most of NE Gwinnett County is ok.
Everything at your fingertips, good school system, close to one of the top rated medical centers in the country,
etc.
Compared to war zone of Atlanta city crime is low. Granted, there are a few pops every now and then but that goes for anyplace.

The only shock you will have is coming from Washington state and getting hit with Georgia 6% income tax and car tax. Also, it's cool and rather rainy in Seattle. In July, you can boil to death in the sun here. Ain't called Hotlanta for nothing.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I've been posting a lot about Suwanee - I feel like I'm doing a commercial LOL. Anyway, look for some of my other posts about Suwanee.

It's north of Atlanta between Duluth and Buford, near Lawrenceville. It all sort of runs together. It is near I-85 and the main arteries of Buford Highway and Peachtree Industrial run through it, so plenty of ways to get to work.

Suwanee is part of the Gwinnett County school system. Peachtree Ridge High School is only a few years old and is excellent. The middle school was re-districted recently, so older stats may not give you a good picture. Don't know much about the elementary schools, but everyone says the teachers are great.

There has been recent retail building in Suwanee. We have 2 major grocery stores, plus a smaller Fresh Market store for gourmet items. Starbucks and fast food are available, plus a couple of places for a nice dinner. There is a small park where they occasionally have concerts and I think the Farmers Market is there too every other Saturday. You can stroll around in the evening, get ice cream or coffee, play with the kids there.

Crime is low. I haven't read the stats, but that is my perception. I haven't experienced any crime and feel safe by myself.

Housing is abundant and affordable. You can get a 4br house for less than 200k. There is new housing construction going on if that's what you want.

Atlanta has bunches of churches of all kinds, so you should have no problem finding one you like. They are very friendly to newcomers.

If you really need a housing situation with walk-to shopping, there is a planned community that has houses, townhomes, a bank, the Fresh Market, and places to eat. I think they might be adding a non-denominational church, but not sure. It is on the corner of McGinnis Ferry and Peachtree Industrial and is called Suwanee something.
Twinkletoes.
Thanks again for some valuable information. I am now going to check this area out as well. Thank you so much for your time and for your views. Its appreciated. If you find out the name of that developement or have anything else you would like to share you could post it here or pm to me as well.
Thanks again I appreicate the hospitality....Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia