Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times

Advertisements

I love Athens, great small town. Love visiting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Thanks. Yes trails would be very important to me, in fact they are high on my criteria of where I choose to retire.

Perhaps Boulder, CO. Then there is Sierra Vista, AZ. It has a LOT of trails and the roads also have bicycle space. Climate is excellent.

Yes Boulder is nice, but very expensive. AZ. Well that state actually was high on my list but crossed it off this past year. It just has to many problems, that I would not want to deal with as I got older. Besides I want to be on the East Coast. Im originally from the Northeast but don't want the climate or the cost of living. Just want to be closer. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 AM

151 posts, read 348,413 times
Default Cycling in Athens

Jimrob1,

Have you seen this?

http://issuu.com/bikeleague/docs/bicycle_friendly_america_yearbook2010/1

If the issue of bike trails is crucially important to you, the League of American Bicyclists directory of bicycle friendly towns should be of interest. Alas, neither Athens nor any other town in Georgia is on the list.

That said, Athens does have a very active community of cyclists, including a significant number of 50+ yr olds. The full range of athletic levels are represented. One of my cycling acquaintances led a 70 mile group ride on his 70th birthday, then a 75 miler on his 75th birthday. It's true there are almost no trails and only a small number of (unconnected) bike lanes. But if your interest is in local, casual riding (back and forth to coffee shops, library, and grocery stores), you can certainly choose where in town to live so that riding on the streets won't be too scary.

To get a sense of the (non-racing) Athens cycling community, check here:
http://cyclenittygritty.org/
http://athensgabicycling.com/

Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinExPat View Post
Jimrob1,

Have you seen this?

http://issuu.com/bikeleague/docs/bicycle_friendly_america_yearbook2010/1

If the issue of bike trails is crucially important to you, the League of American Bicyclists directory of bicycle friendly towns should be of interest. Alas, neither Athens nor any other town in Georgia is on the list.

That said, Athens does have a very active community of cyclists, including a significant number of 50+ yr olds. The full range of athletic levels are represented. One of my cycling acquaintances led a 70 mile group ride on his 70th birthday, then a 75 miler on his 75th birthday. It's true there are almost no trails and only a small number of (unconnected) bike lanes. But if your interest is in local, casual riding (back and forth to coffee shops, library, and grocery stores), you can certainly choose where in town to live so that riding on the streets won't be too scary.

To get a sense of the (non-racing) Athens cycling community, check here:
http://cyclenittygritty.org/
http://athensgabicycling.com/

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,380 times
While no place in Georgia is exempt from the current financial issues, Athens seems to be holding its ground. Nothing grand, but just small improvement. Saw the developments near downtown where Phoenix market used to be. There is a new Waffle House coming up opposite the Pepsi plant down Hwy 78.

There were I think huge bubbles in the neigboring counties. I think property in Athens have probably held their ground better than these coutnies. Although if one needs schools they should check out Oconee county.

I used to live in Athens. I would definitely recommend Athens to the young, and the young at heart. Also for real estate investment -- 150K and under should get a nice 3 BR 2 BA house, with < 2K property tax, and rents over 1K.

It is atleast worth a visit to check it out.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 PM

I noticed an significant level of activity on Barnett Shoals Road in the Carmike Cinemas - Bank of America segment. Seemed like a large area was being cleared for development. There were some other things going on as well. That segment was well on its way (in terms of redevelopment) in the 2005 timeframe, and perhaps is now first in line to continue redevelopment.

I also noticed development activity close to 316 on the Oconee side (the shopping area with Kohls etc.), but not sure what was going on. That areas was going thru shopping center activity in the 2005 timeframe, and I suppose that development might be continuing.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:07 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I noticed an significant level of activity on Barnett Shoals Road in the Carmike Cinemas - Bank of America segment. Seemed like a large area was being cleared for development. There were some other things going on as well. That segment was well on its way (in terms of redevelopment) in the 2005 timeframe, and perhaps is now first in line to continue redevelopment.

I also noticed development activity close to 316 on the Oconee side (the shopping area with Kohls etc.), but not sure what was going on. That areas was going thru shopping center activity in the 2005 timeframe, and I suppose that development might be continuing.
I've seen the clearing on Barnett Shoals. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended up as more collegiate apartments.

Near (and toward) 316 they're building the Jennings Mill Parkway/Oconee Connector network. It includes a partial interchange with Loop 10. I guess it's to separate retail traffic from commuters... but I'm not sure.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlyer View Post

Athens is a neat town. I am from Illinois, but was in Athens this past weekend to attend a friend's wedding, who moved to Georgia about ten years ago. I don't travel much, but it was cool to spend a few days in a neat little town such as Athens. The wedding was at the State Botanical Garden's day chapel (very nice place by the way).

I would love to someday be in town for a UGA football game, though I was told that the town absolutely shutsdown, and that highway 316 is a complete parking lot on the days leading up to it.

My fiance absolutely loved Waffle House. It's a shame we don't have one anywhere close to us in Illinois. They are all over the Athens/Atlanta area.

What I especially notice each time I do visit the south (I've been to Georgia two other times, as well as the Smoky Mountains) is how much more friendly the people are. I noticed the same while in Athens. It is refreshing.

The overall scenery in Georgia is very pretty. It's nice driving down a highway like 316, or through a town like Athens and seeing nothing but trees. The flat cornfields in Illinois get old and depressing.

Athens is a neat town worth checking out - I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to go back there, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it if I ever do.

Georgia is indeed a beautiful state. And Athens is indeed a beautiful town.

We are extremely fortunate to look at the beautiful scenery without an aching back.

What really gets old in the Midwest are the terrible roads. The severe climate really does a number on the roads. I haven't been in Illinois for a long time and I have no desire to return. Nor does my car. I thought I would have to buy a new set of tires after my last trip through Illinois.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 AM

I dont think I mentioned this in any previous post. Some people move to Athens to get into the music scene. I recall meeting a few 20 year olds (who seemed to have other jobs in Athens) in my subdivision who said they moved to Athens to get into the music scene.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:20 PM

Twilight Criterium is this April 27-28
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia