U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,180,711 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried raising orange trees, either in pots or in a greenhouse, in Georgia? If so, how are the results?

That's the one thing I will miss if I ever take up full-time residence in N. Georgia - growing my own oranges. I know this is a stupid question, just wondering if anyone has attempted to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM

16,802 posts, read 51,151,571 times
Hey, DW is going to be growing bananas in Alabama (save the wisecracks for Leno, TYVM )

There are dwarf varieties of oranges that can grow in a lot of places. Look at the bright side, you might have oranges when the growers in Florida have none because of citrus greening and citrus canker and the encroachment of suburbia.

I feel your pain though, before the gestapo cut them down, I used to grab a valencia off a tree while I was mowing the lawn and eat it while driving the lawnmower. On the good side, we just found out that our property has pecans, walnuts, hickory nuts, peach, persimmon, and a bunch of other mature bearing trees.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:52 AM

273 posts, read 1,605,954 times
Orange trees are sold at the nurseries here. We have abundant sunshine and warm temperatures. You would have no problem as long as you bring them in (like into a greenhouse) in the winter.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 AM

I just love oranges. I usually juice an entire mature tree every year, and it's still not enough for me and my family, even if I freeze some of it. So, I've bought some more trees to feed the Orange habit. Once I get them producing regularly, then I'm going to get one of those commercial juicers and I hope that will take care of us.

I love the way rich Georgia soil makes your tomatos 'bout the best in the world. We can grow some really beautiful tomatos here in Florida, but they don't have 1/2 the taste of Georgia tomatos.

So, I was pondering how Orange trees would do if you mixed a little bit of sand in with that rich georgia soil. I bet you could get a very flavorful orange from that! A nice little greenhouse would be necessary in the winter - they don't like temperatures much below 32, but a little cold sure does sweeten up my Valencias.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:24 PM

276 posts, read 1,013,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I just love oranges. I usually juice an entire mature tree every year, and it's still not enough for me and my family, even if I freeze some of it. So, I've bought some more trees to feed the Orange habit. Once I get them producing regularly, then I'm going to get one of those commercial juicers and I hope that will take care of us.

I love the way rich Georgia soil makes your tomatos 'bout the best in the world. We can grow some really beautiful tomatos here in Florida, but they don't have 1/2 the taste of Georgia tomatos.

So, I was pondering how Orange trees would do if you mixed a little bit of sand in with that rich georgia soil. I bet you could get a very flavorful orange from that! A nice little greenhouse would be necessary in the winter - they don't like temperatures much below 32, but a little cold sure does sweeten up my Valencias.
Hi there,
Funny I was going to ask the same ? about growing oranges in GA too...I was wondering about the winter months too. Can anyone tell me what the temps are like(averages) in the Atlanta area and northeastern sections such as Forstyh County and Fulton? Thanks so much...I am now living in SWFL considering relocating to GA but I am origionally from NH and although I have grown up in the colder climates of the US I am not partiularly thrilled about having COLD as I know it...Any insight would be much appreciated...Thanks again ...

Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 AM

26 posts, read 101,822 times
Quote:
Has anyone tried raising orange trees, either in pots or in a greenhouse, in Georgia? If so, how are the results?

That's the one thing I will miss if I ever take up full-time residence in N. Georgia - growing my own oranges. I know this is a stupid question, just wondering if anyone has attempted to do this.
Growing Oranges, Tangerines, and Lemons . Not in greenhouse or pots, just plain from trees. Just like Florida.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 AM

Atlantamaha, what's a Georgia-grown orange taste like? Any different than Valencias grown in Florida? What variety do you grow, and what do you do with your trees during the winter time?

Georgia corn and tomatos are far better than Florida's. Leafy vegitables, like letuce, cabbage, greens, etc grow real nice in Florida. Other than citrus, melons, tropical fruits, and grapes, we can't get most regular fruit trees (apples, pears, etc.) to produce decent fruit in Florida. Same with a variety of nuts, except in N. Florida. The trees will grow, but it's just too warm to get them to produce good fruit.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:31 PM

26 posts, read 101,822 times
Quote:
Atlantamaha, what's a Georgia-grown orange taste like? Any different than Valencias grown in Florida? What variety do you grow, and what do you do with your trees during the winter time?

Georgia corn and tomatos are far better than Florida's. Leafy vegitables, like letuce, cabbage, greens, etc grow real nice in Florida. Other than citrus, melons, tropical fruits, and grapes, we can't get most regular fruit trees (apples, pears, etc.) to produce decent fruit in Florida. Same with a variety of nuts, except in N. Florida. The trees will grow, but it's just too warm to get them to produce good fruit.
Oranges are Valencia, Satsuma, Don't do anything with trees in winter.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,136 times
I've been growing one for years in NJ just bring it in during the winter not sure what to do about dormancy... been afraid to let mine get that much frost... any advice ?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Lord no, don't leave your Orange tree out in anything below 32 for any length of time. It'll kill the whole tree. But, if you don't let it get a little cold weather, the fruit doesn't sweeten up as well. In Central Florida, I've lost a couple of trees to freezes. Even if they don't totally die, disease sets in and within a couple of years, the tree dies back to it's "sour-root" origins, i.e. the good graftings are killed off. When you start to get those long shoots with big thorns on them, that's sour-root. It produces some beautiful looking oranges, that are so sour and bitter, you'd think they were poison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or