Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:07 PM

16 posts, read 58,724 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me about these areas? Housing costs, neighborhoods, schools, crime, commutes into city? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! We are also looking at Douglasville and Snellville.

It's hard to relocate but the information on this forum is very helpful!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 AM

Okay, that's discouraging. No responses, no replies. confused: Is no one familiar with any of these areas? Should I not consider these? Something else?

Please let me know. I can take it: Good, Bad or Ugly.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:00 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
Let's comment on Suwanee.

Suwanee is rapidly growing area. Two high schools associated with Suwanee are Peachtree Ridge and North Gwinnett. It is very clean, safe and new city. A lot of new housing development. Most schools within the region are probably good by Atlanta standard. The population is mostly Caucasian and Asians. Most are family oriented place. Very peaceful if you like that.

A couple of central planning housing projects, Morningside and Avonlea Crossing. It is like housing within garden. Very nice. The housing is pretty cheap. You can get $200,000 for a 4 bedrooms house.

Unfortunately, it is a little too far north for my family. My wife has to drive to Dunwoody daily. It is a bit too much.

SugarHill is even north of Suwanee.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,981 times
I used to live in Buford. The place was nice when I lived there....Its gone downhill though. The crime has picked up and no its just become another Burb of Atlanta. No more "country" like feel to it. It's not even a good place for kids unless you've got realllllllly well raised childern that know the dofference betweenright and wrong. The sports/recreation programs and the BOMB.....but the rest stinks.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:22 PM

Thanks everybody. That helps a lot. I think I'd better keep looking.

We hope to visit sometime soon so we can see some things for ourselves as well. But this kind of feedback really helps to narrow down the search.

If anyone out there is considering moving to FL or NJ (HAH! if only) just PM me and I'll be glad to share my insight.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2006, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,813 times
Default Dacula, ga

Hi there, I was wondering if you have considered Dacula, ga It is in and around the other towns you have considered. Our schools are great! (Dacula Elementary just won the Bronze award and 100% of our 5th grade class passed the gateway), the people are great, and it has the small town feel but you are still close to everything! It is about 30-45 min to Atlanta and about 15-20 to Mall of Ga.Housing is anywhere between 130,000 all the way up to 500,000 We just bought a new house 4bed 2 1/2 bath on an acre lot for 205,000 Good Luck.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Default Sfl

Ok, here is the skinny
Dacula, Buford area is a nice place. Yes they are burb's of Atlanta, but so is most of Central Georgia now.
When you travel 85 North to Carolina you are heading to Atlantalina, heading west on I20 you are going to Atlantabama

N.Gwinnett County is just like the previous contact said. Good schools both Dacula and Mill Creek. One of the top two districts in the state of GA. Yeah! we hear the rap about how Georgia has the highest dropout rate in the nation, mostly because GA requires kids to learn something instead of feel good about it. It is also one of the few states that is not totally dominated by the NEA teachers unions, though they are trying their best. Good comparison is Jersey ranking #1 but traveling in the bottom realm of SAT scores. Thus your grad rate is highest but if Junior can't read his diploma what good is it?

Home prices are lower than Florida and much lower than NJ. A new development with a good reputation builder can average 250-300 for a standard 4 bedroom. Home prices in Dacula and Buford Mall area are going up, up, up.
Taxes. your average home will run about 2200 per annum, so compared to other states its not bad, then again to me, all taxes are bad.

Here are my negatives to the area.

Hotter than he double tooth pick in June and July.

More humidity than a bucket of steam

Absolutely the worst place I have drivin in my life! This includes living in Jersey, Philly, and the rotten apple. B'out the only comparison is the 5 in Los Angeles. You have more people from around the world, more New Yorkers in a darn hurry, the yuppies who think everybody need to yield to their needs, and yes the wannabe NASCAR driver. In short, get in, strap up, say your Novina's, and hold on for dear life.

No true identity. The Old South is gone. Georgia is now the land of the United Nations, Wal Mart, Costco, and fast food. Finding a white bread kitchen or native soul food ribs is few and far between anymore.

Good Luck,

If you found this helpful click below

Old 08-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Thanks all for your feedback! It really is helpful. So far the job search has only surfaced opportunities in Duluth or in Covington so either we find other jobs or determine somewhere else that we would like to live. Does any one have any input as to nice areas are commutable to either of these cities?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2006, 04:49 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL_onthemove
Thanks all for your feedback! It really is helpful. So far the job search has only surfaced opportunities in Duluth or in Covington so either we find other jobs or determine somewhere else that we would like to live. Does any one have any input as to nice areas are commutable to either of these cities?

Thanks!

For Duluth I will go back to Buford and Dacula. I work in Duluth, live in Dacula and it takes me about 25 - 35 minutes to get to work in the AM. (19.1 miles)

Covington, well a friend of mine lives in Conyers and likes it. There is also Loganville to the North of Conyers

I'm biased and like areas NE of Atlanta myself vs. any other area mostly due to things to do for adults, kids, and most of all traffic headaches.

Good Luck

If you find this post helpful please click below

Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 AM

183 posts, read 1,006,951 times
Have you checked out Loganville or Monroe( not inside city limits of Monroe)?We live in Walton county, no emissions on you vehicle...not building up like Gwinnett. Good schools.Nice neighborhoods. Close to Covington...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia