Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholly6 View Post
Thanks I sure will post I want to know everything before I move to Georgia. what school system is your child in and do you like or hate it and why? And do you have kids in regular school? I home school one of my sons 15 yrs old, and my 8 yr old is in regular classes with some reading and math help.

Sue
I don't have any kids in school--just a native and former teacher.

Do you need to be in the metro area or have you thought about a smaller town?

Carrollton, GA is west of Atlanta it is a stable community and might be good for your family. There are other towns like this --northwest of Atlanta--Cartersville might be an option. NE--Grayson, Loganville, Winder or Conyers.

There are many discussions of 'Where to Live' and schools in these forums--Atlanta and Georgia. If you have a chance you might search for threads that seem interesting.

take care

sls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:22 AM

9 posts, read 39,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I don't have any kids in school--just a native and former teacher.

Do you need to be in the metro area or have you thought about a smaller town?

Carrollton, GA is west of Atlanta it is a stable community and might be good for your family. There are other towns like this --northwest of Atlanta--Cartersville might be an option. NE--Grayson, Loganville, Winder or Conyers.

There are many discussions of 'Where to Live' and schools in these forums--Atlanta and Georgia. If you have a chance you might search for threads that seem interesting.

take care

sls
Thanks I'm heading over to check out the where to live threads thanks I appreciate the information.

Sue

Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 AM

43 posts, read 218,974 times
We live in Forsyth county GA, and have a nephew with autism. My sister-n-law told us a couple of months ago, that the state cut a lot of the programs recently, which allowed him to get different types of therapy. He is in the public school system here. They used to live in Buford which is Hall county schools, and they say that the Forsyth county program (which they recently moved to) is much better for him. I can't comment a lot on the subject, but just thought this would be another area for you to check into. Also, check out Peach Care for Kids. I know they have something to do with medicaid, and they are almost out of money right now. I don't think they are accepting any new applicants until they get more funding from the federal gov't.
Good Luck to you.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
We live in Forsyth county GA, and have a nephew with autism. My sister-n-law told us a couple of months ago, that the state cut a lot of the programs recently, which allowed him to get different types of therapy. He is in the public school system here. They used to live in Buford which is Hall county schools, and they say that the Forsyth county program (which they recently moved to) is much better for him. I can't comment a lot on the subject, but just thought this would be another area for you to check into. Also, check out Peach Care for Kids. I know they have something to do with medicaid, and they are almost out of money right now. I don't think they are accepting any new applicants until they get more funding from the federal gov't.
Good Luck to you.

Thanks I wonder why Peach Care for Kids is out of money, is Georgia growing rate that much? I really appreciate all the comments I'm getting they have help me and family to know before we go what to expect.

sue

Old 06-20-2007, 02:55 PM

43 posts, read 218,974 times
Georgia is growing very fast. New Sub-Divisions going in all over. The roads and schools can't keep up with it, so I would guess that programs like peachcare are also suffering.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Location: I live in Dekalb county in the Dunwoody area just outside of 285
18 posts, read 77,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholly6 View Post
Hello everyone, my family wants to relocate from Michigan to GA and needs to find a school for a special needs child 11 yrs old with spinal bifida. Which school system is better? Also, I looking for a ranch style home in a area thats great for family living. Thanking you in advance.

sue
i have a great neighborhood with a great school for you. It's called Huntley Hills. Huntley Hills Elementary and Montessori School the price ranges of the neighborhood is 225k -320k. the school is great and has a wonderful special needs program. THey try to integrate the students when appropriate. It also has a montessori program.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:08 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Post Here's an active link

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
i have a great neighborhood with a great school for you. It's called Huntley Hills. Huntley Hills Elementary and Montessori School the price ranges of the neighborhood is 225k -320k. the school is great and has a wonderful special needs program. THey try to integrate the students when appropriate. It also has a montessori program.

I don't know if Flowers Rd is within this attendance area but I have seen homes for sale and rent in the older neighborhoods that looked pretty good.
FWIW

sls

Old 06-22-2007, 05:36 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I don't know if Flowers Rd is within this attendance area but I have seen homes for sale and rent in the older neighborhoods that looked pretty good.
FWIW

sls
If it is the Flowers Rd that is outside the perimeter, than I am betting it is Hightower -- In that part of town, if you are inside the perimeter you are in the Chamblee cluster, outside the Dunwoody cluster.

The key for all parents of children with special needs in Georgia is to understand their children's rights, regardless of the school system.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post

I just check out the school as well as the neighborhood they looked great. I will consider the school and I'm looking for a home in the area. Thanks for the information and pointing me a great directions.

Sue

Old 07-01-2007, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,655 times
Default Katie Beckett not a lost cause

My son is also 11 and has been receiving Katie Beckett since he was 4 months old. Renewal is once a year. While it is a pain, it is not impossible. My son is in a severe/profound class through Cobb Co. schools. We have also lived in Gwinnett county, and we have been very positively impressed with both counties and what they have to offer. Even within those counties, though, your location does have an impact on how happy you'll be. A wonderful resource is FOCUS, Families of Children Under Stress, which offers support networks, summer camps for a variety of disabilities, and a wonderful resource library.Go to FOCUS - support for children with disabilities or medical needs and see what they have to offer. If you send them an email or call and tell them what you are looking for, they'll find the info for you. The school my son currently goes to is wonderful. Go to Sope Creek PTA (http://www.cobbk12.org/schools/es/schsopecreek/PTA/chronicle/creekchronicle.htm - broken link) and look through the Exceptional Children's Corner in each month's newsletter for other special needs opportunities in the area. Atlanta is a large city with a lot of resources available for special needs kids and their families. You may also send me an e-mail. Please don't be discouraged from moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia