U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM

134 posts, read 475,047 times
Default What I really need to know about Grand Rapids

I am looking at returning to school in order to become an Occupational Therapist. I've looked for schools that are accredited and am narrowing my list down from there.

For several factors that I don't need to get into here Grand Valley State has worked it's way towards the top of my list However, being a state university I would like to live in Michigan for at least a year so that I can obtain state residency. (If I look at out-of-state tuition I may as well look at a private school as well)

I know that Michigan is going through terrible economic times so, is it even possible to get a job there?

I'm in the low pay, high turnover social service field and have about 17 years experience working with the developmentally delayed population (both adolescents and adults) I am single with no family except my dog and don't mind living in sparse accomodations. I just need to know if it would be possible to find something that pays enough to keep me in Michigan for a year, preferrable the Grand Rapids area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,480,608 times
The job market is bad, especially in certain sectors but Over the past 2 years I've managed to get 3 jobs. I kept switching jobs because I wasn't happy with the current ones. I've been fortunate enough to have never been unemployed.

If you have money saved up and you can support yourself for a month or two while you look for a job you will be fine. You can get by in Grand Rapids on $600-$700/month if you really need to.

Getting a job depends on 1) what you would be looking for 2) how much money you want and 3) if you are fairly sharp and not a total nutjob (not saying you are).

Also, I think Grand Valley only requires 6 months for in-state tuition? I might be wrong on this, but I went to GVSU for my MBA and I thought 6 months was the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area