Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM

20 posts, read 10,801 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to a mid-sized city and I have a significant amount of family on the east side of the state so I thought the west side would be something to consider (close enough, but also far enough).

We are a mixed race couple (black/white) with 2 mixed race children. I am reading a lot about how conservative Grand Rapids is on these boards, but am wondering if that would apply - or if it's just politics and religion.

We have lived in the south where it was occasionally an issue and currently live in Denver where it's never been an issue. I'm mostly worried about my kids. I want them to be in a good school district (was thinking Forest Hills based on research), but don't want them to look like two flies in a glass of milk.

Thoughts? Candid responses welcome and appreciated.

~Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:04 AM

810 posts, read 3,297,678 times
We used to live in FH schools before moving to the Atlanta area. There are some mixed race families in the school district and surrounding areas. You will be fine, we never saw issues with it.

FH has lots of nationalities represented even though it's mostly white.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,731,601 times
Don't let the fact that GR and the surrounding areas are pretty conservative scare you. My wife, who is black, has mixed nieces and nephews we used to take them to church and all the old people there couldn't stop spoiling them.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 AM

525 posts, read 897,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Don't let the fact that GR and the surrounding areas are pretty conservative scare you. My wife, who is black, has mixed nieces and nephews we used to take them to church and all the old people there couldn't stop spoiling them.
whoa are you saying conservatives are racist? Anyways I don't think it really matters your kids will probably be accepted for there personalities and character once they blend in with the other students. Living in fear cause your kids might not be accepted will hurt them more than just going and doing it.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,053,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
whoa are you saying conservatives are racist? Anyways I don't think it really matters your kids will probably be accepted for there personalities and character once they blend in with the other students. Living in fear cause your kids might not be accepted will hurt them more than just going and doing it.
Well I for one don't know many racist liberals, or any really, but that's a different story.

I would avoid the GR suburbs like Wyoming and Sparta etc but for the most part an inter-racial family won't be looked down upon.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Thank you so much for the responses. Very helpful. We've only outwardly experienced any issues in one city we have lived in and just really don't want to go through it again. It's not just that I don't want to knowingly expose them to racism, but I also don't want them to be the only people of color in their schools. I'm glad to hear that there are many nationalities represented in this particular part of Grand Rapids.

Thanks again for the responses!

~Jen

Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,793,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Yes, for the most part, the ultra conservatives in West Michigan are racists and bigots wrapped in baked goods. Luckily there aren't as many as there used to be.

Sorry Jen, yes, you'll be fine. Forest Hills is pretty diverse in cultural values mainly because it's a lot of transplants. Probably predominantly transplants to the area.

Last edited by magellan; 10-19-2011 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-20-2011, 08:08 AM

92,405 posts, read 122,662,773 times
Look into Kentwood, as it is a suburb with pretty diverse schools that are solid, from what I remember. Perhaps parts of Wyoming(I.e.- Kelloggville Schools, etc.), Comstock Park and maybe even Northview, Grandville and East Grand Rapids too.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Thanks again to everyone for the input. I will look into those areas as well.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 PM

47 posts, read 97,862 times
I think that mixed race families have gotten more and more common over time in this area. I'm not sure about interracial marriages, but international adoptions seem to be much more common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area