Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 6,437 times

Advertisements

I had posted a few months ago about a potential move to Kalamazoo later this year... well, that has become reality, and our family will be relocating in late August. I just had a couple questions that I was hoping some of you might be able to answer... where in the world online can I find any NON-student single-family rentals?! And being that we're moving in August, when should we start looking for a rental? I worry that if we wait too long, because of the student population, we're going to have "slim pickings" come August. My final question: I know that Portage is a nice area, but what about Oshtemo, Galesburg, Vicksburg, and Plainwell? We have a 16-mo old son, so school district is not an issue right now (although a good day care/preschool nearby would be a plus). We'd also like to be within 10-15 min of some sort of shopping (i.e. grocery store, Target/WalMart). Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM

428 posts, read 898,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erintb View Post
I had posted a few months ago about a potential move to Kalamazoo later this year... well, that has become reality, and our family will be relocating in late August. I just had a couple questions that I was hoping some of you might be able to answer... where in the world online can I find any NON-student single-family rentals?! And being that we're moving in August, when should we start looking for a rental? I worry that if we wait too long, because of the student population, we're going to have "slim pickings" come August. My final question: I know that Portage is a nice area, but what about Oshtemo, Galesburg, Vicksburg, and Plainwell? We have a 16-mo old son, so school district is not an issue right now (although a good day care/preschool nearby would be a plus). We'd also like to be within 10-15 min of some sort of shopping (i.e. grocery store, Target/WalMart). Thanks in advance!

You might want to try Mlive.. Under the real Estate section. I think that might also have at least contact info for Rental companies in the area.

Oshtemo is ok but honestly its just Kalamazoo really.. Galesburg is country and if u want to be with 10-15 minutes of shopping you will have that. Vicksburg is basically the middle of nowhere and your neighbors will be farmland and cows and Plainwell youll have lots shopping Meijer and Walmart but depending on where u work in Kzoo it could be a kinda long commute and 131 in the winter isnt esecially fun. Hope that helps

Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,187 times
Almost anywhere in the greater Kzoo area there is shopping and as long as you avoid apartments within a 3-5 mile radius of campus, they should be non-student housing. Portage is the best local area for shopping, but if you want a more removed feel, some of those other areas can be nice. Be careful though, Vicksburg roads are straight ice in the winter (longer commute).

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 15,132 times
I live in Plainwell and commute to Kalamazoo every day, it is only about a 15 min drive to downtown Kalamazoo. I like the feel of small town in Plainwell and very easy to go South to Kzoo or north to Grand Rapids for lots to do. I would also check out Mlive for rentals, as there are lots of rental houses and apartments in Plainwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area