Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,072 times

Advertisements

I have two options for my next 1-year job rotation: Grand Rapids, MI and Los Angeles, CA (currently live in Asheville, NC). The job opportunity in GR seems much better, but attracted to LA life and fams there (long term?). I'm a young single Asian guy and want to figure out what it would be like in GR there in terms fun activites and the single life.

I hear the scene is great for college folks, but just finished my grad degree at IU and OVER college towns. What's it like for ppl in their mid 20's and early 30's?

I also love my Christian faith and love building community through church and young adult groups. Any type groups out there?

Planning to visit this weekend - suggestions? Opinions on any of the above would be appreciated. Looking for honest GR good opinions and bad. Thanks for you help!

Last edited by adoy73; 01-08-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
First off - it's only a year - I would choose GR over LA for the quality of life/friendliness of folks.

Hello West Michigan is a great website to start for transplants to GR. Hello West Michigan - Separately google search "50 things to love about Grand Rapids" and you'll pull up their Word document that is six pages of every cool link/resource you could want about GR. I can't figure out how to paste the link here.

Check out Mars Hill Church in Grandville. There are many large nondenominational churches in GR that are full of young professionals/small groups so you shouldn't have any issues there. http://marshill.org/

Here's the Young Professional page for GR - lots of meetup/non religious type events too. Grand Rapids Young Professionals - Home

Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Belle - that's awesome thanks for the resources.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoy73 View Post
I have two options for my next 1-year job rotation: Grand Rapids, MI and Los Angeles, CA (currently live in Asheville, NC). The job opportunity in GR seems much better, but attracted to LA life and fams there (long term?). I'm a young single Asian guy and want to figure out what it would be like in GR there in terms fun activites and the single life.

I hear the scene is great for college folks, but just finished my grad degree at IU and OVER college towns. What's it like for ppl in their mid 20's and early 30's?

I also love my Christian faith and love building community through church and young adult groups. Any type groups out there?

Planning to visit this weekend - suggestions? Opinions on any of the above would be appreciated. Looking for honest GR good opinions and bad. Thanks for you help!
Single and an active Christian? You should have no problem finding things to do.

The Calvin College January Series is going on this month. You might stick around during the week and catch one of these. They're usually a good mix of theology and science.

The January Series of Calvin College - January 2013: Schedule of Speaker

Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Sweet. That does sound good. Disclaimer - I'm single and 32. So while I fit in the young prfoessional group - I know at church young adult groups they do cater more towards 20's esp. Young twenties...that been your experience?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoy73 View Post
Sweet. That does sound good. Disclaimer - I'm single and 32. So while I fit in the young prfoessional group - I know at church young adult groups they do cater more towards 20's esp. Young twenties...that been your experience?
I don't know that I'm an expert on the subject. From what I hear, you'll find a mix of ages. You might also try Grand Rapids Young Professionals. It's a huge organization and they have quite a few social/networking events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area