Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM

23 posts, read 40,708 times

Advertisements

Hey guys just wondering how feasible you guys would think this is in either Holland or GR? Currently I've done the car light route in Holland for about a month, only using my car on the weekends to visit friends in GR. Do you guys think it would be possible for a single guy to do this year round? Thanks so much and happy Easter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM

109 posts, read 205,463 times
I cannot tell you how great the Holland bus service is but apparently it is working for you thus far. The Rapid in Grand Rapids is quite dependable minus Sundays. I bring this up because living in Holland you have access to several Greyhounds a day going to/from Chicago with a stop in Holland. That being said, if the only time you use your car is to go to GRR why bother with a car at all if money is a factor? With Greyhound you can easily make a day trip to GRR and back to Holland 7 days a week for a decent price. This could save you perhaps quite a bit of money. I have not owned a car for years and when I do travel I take all Greyhound which can work nice for you living in Holland. A car is always nicer, of course, but if saving money is your goal certainly not having a car can help greatly with this and most places one needs to get to the bus will take you there. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM

23 posts, read 40,708 times
Hey thank you for the reply fakkelsey, I think I may just have to give the Greyhound a couple of tests and see how it works out. That would be a huge money saver and with my pile of student loans that would be huge. As far as the bussing goes in Holland, it is not too bad but I live a bit out of the bussing range so have been taking my bike.

Does anyone have experience with renting a car for the weekend? I heard it is not too pricey, but the only really important reason I would need a car is for dates, has anyone tried dating car free, I feel like that could be a huge pain.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM

109 posts, read 205,463 times

I was trying ti figure out how to paste system maps out but I have failed. LOL However, here are some links to both bus system maps just so you are aware.

Bus Routes and Schedules - Macatawa Area Express Transit Authority
System Map | www.ridetherapid.org

After some research, a day trip on Greyhound is not possible from Holland, but only from Grand Rapids. The Dash only gets you to Zeeland. This puts you with still a good 13 miles to go before you can reach the Rapid system at Walmart on 44th st. There is no dial a ride for Western portion of county. Taxi cost would be $45 from Zeeland to Grandville. $ 76.00 - Taxi fare from grand rapids, mi to holland,mi in Grand Rapids, MI

All in all, Holland to Grand Rapids connection without a car suck and from Holland would require an over night stay which will be at the low end $35. Maybe keeping your car is a good idea after all.

Car rental can be as low is around $25 on the weekend when rentals are down but unless you have full coverage on your car you must purchase insurance on your rental. A large amount ($400) is also needed in your account for a deposit before hand. End cost could be closer to $70 with gas and that is if nothing happens.

The best of luck to you. PS A moped could be a great option. You need no insurance and you can get some that meet this requirement still going up to 45 to 50 mph. However, moped dating is kinda frowned upon. Girls do like cars, more so I am sure in Holland.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
No car? Naah, that sounds like it'd be miserable. Get a car, keep your sanity.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:31 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,748 times
What if you live in Grand Rapids or Wyoming? Would that make it a lot more feasible to live without a car, and just rent one when you want one?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,279 times
You can always take the AMTRAK from Holland to GR in the evenings and from GR to Holland in the mornings.(If that works for you, ie; weekend visits, etc. It's not exactly high speed local rail, but it is reliable.

The Interurban Transit partnership program in GR also coordinates the Rideshare program with Van pooling options that run every day from Holland to GR and back again. Home Page | www.wmrideshare.org

Old 11-18-2013, 02:47 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What if you live in Grand Rapids or Wyoming? Would that make it a lot more feasible to live without a car, and just rent one when you want one?
It's tough. The chances that you happen to live and work along the same bus line are rare, so you have to make at least a transfer or two, which adds to travel time. It can be done though. There are malls and quite a few grocery stores on the bus lines, and lots of housing choices.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:21 PM

24 posts, read 40,675 times
If you stick directly to downtown Grand Rapids, you would be fine. It gets tricky the further out your get from downtown.

They down town area is getting more and more bike friendly and the city is working on improving public transportation.

I would say that everything is too spread out in Holland to make it comfortably without a car.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,615 times
Looking outside this morning with single digit temps and snow all this week, I'm glad I have a nice warm car ride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area