Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:50 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgoast View Post
I would say grand rapids is a small sized city with a small town mentality. Having lived in the shadow of Detroit for so long it developed small town habits that are hard to shake. The interesting thing is its very much a city in transition and on the way up. Now that Detroits shadow casts is more depressing than anything else, gr knows it needs to grow and expand and become the cultural and economic powerhouse of the state.

It seems to understand this situation from a economic perspective but I think it struggles with the cultural transformation that accompanies such a shift. GR is still very much locked into its traditional christian reform cultural perspective and to some degree is hesitant to allow culture to change and develop organically. The progressive left wing perspective is present in all big cities and it is part of what makes large cities dynamic, magnetic and attractive to people.

Austin Texas was once in a similar position to grand rapids. Austin made choices that allowed it to become a mecca for artistic expression, and entrepreneurship. Keep Austin weird is the cry in Texas. GR doesn't seem to understand yet that you can't pick and choose. If you wanna be a big city you gotta embrace the weird.

That's my opinion anyway...
I don't agree with this at all. Having been aquainted with Grand Rapids for 25 years I have seen the shift from this mindset. Especially in Kent County, and with the city itself being blue. Suburbs will always be more conservative than the core. Grand Rapids suburbs have gained enough outside migration that the traditional "West Michigan mindset" started getting diluded a while ago. There are still remnant strongholds of it. But mostly you have to travel to Ottawa County to really see it in it's glory, and even then it's being diluted.

But you're right it does come down to economics, and the economics are good. Right now the area is attracting those types of people that can propel the city to the next level.

I don't know how long you've lived in the area, but it's usually the people who have lived in GR the longest that can't see that it has already changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area