Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times

Advertisements

I will post the opposite question in the Pittsburgh forum. But I ask for relocation purposes. I am getting a job offer in Pittsburgh PA and another one in Grand Rapids. They are essentially the same job and wages to cost of living factors in as the same (i.e. the Grand Rapids job makes less money but the cost of living in Grand Rapids is way less than Pittsburgh).

If anyone here has been to Pittsburgh, how do you compare it with Grand Rapids? I have been to Pittsburgh before but not enough to really get a good feel for the city. Likewise I have been to Grand Rapids but did experience it to where I can say I would like living here. Can anyone really compare these two or know any websites that compare them?

If you have been to Pittsburgh, would you go live there or choose Grand Rapids assuming those were the only two cities you had to choose?

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2020 at 02:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:39 PM

142 posts, read 731,608 times
Default Grand Rapids or Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I will post the opposite question in the Pittsburgh forum. But I ask for relocation purposes. I am getting a job offer in Pittsburgh PA and another one in Grand Rapids. They are essentially the same job and wages to cost of living factors in as the same (i.e. the Grand Rapids job makes less money but the cost of living in Grand Rapids is way less than Pittsburgh).

If anyone here has been to Pittsburgh, how do you compare it with Grand Rapids? I have been to Pittsburgh before but not enough to really get a good feel for the city. Likewise I have been to Grand Rapids but did experience it to where I can say I would like living here. Can anyone really compare these two or know any websites that compare them?

If you have been to Pittsburgh, would you go live there or choose Grand Rapids assuming those were the only two cities you had to choose?
Greetings,

Tough to compare Pittsburgh, PA to Grand Rapids, MI.

Metro Pittsburgh is roughly 2.4 million population (metropolitan) vs Grand Rapids at around

1 million (metropolitan). Naturally Pittsburgh will win on many levels due to its size.

Pittsburgh, PA is pro sports, fine dinning, hilly setting, skyscrapers, hustle and bustle, heavy traffic

(especially through tunnels) and Iron City beer. Been to both cities - IMO Grand Rapids appears to be more

of an up and coming metro - while Pittsburgh is, well Pittsburgh...

Being a Steelers, or Pirates fan, would be beneficial.

This link will allow you to compare both cities on a city vs city basis.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Good Luck...

Cheers...

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2020 at 02:53 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
Greetings,

Tough to compare Pittsburgh, PA to Grand Rapids, MI.

Metro Pittsburgh is roughly 2.4 million population (metropolitan) vs Grand Rapids at around

1 million (metropolitan). Naturally Pittsburgh will win on many levels due to its size.

Pittsburgh, PA is pro sports, fine dinning, hilly setting, skyscrapers, hustle and bustle, heavy traffic

(especially through tunnels) and Iron City beer. Been to both cities - IMO Grand Rapids appears to be more

of an up and coming metro - while Pittsburgh is, well Pittsburgh...

Being a Steelers, or Pirates fan, would be beneficial.

This link will allow you to compare both cities on a city vs city basis.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Good Luck...

Cheers...
That site is awesome! Thanks!

It has given me great insight.

Though to tell you the truth, Pittsburgh's skyline and the skyline of Grand Rapids are quite similar. Though it seems that unlike Pittsburgh, Grand Rapids set its downtown area on the hilly part of the city, whereas Pittsburgh's "dahntahn" area is flatter and the residential areas are more hilly. Though Grand Rapids hills are really 1/10th the steepness or height of Pittsburgh's.

I didn't realize that Grand Rapids gets more than twice the snow Pittsburgh does. Yikes. But it is flatter, making it less inconvenient, it seems. Grand Rapids due to its size seems quieter. And of course the Grand Rapids women seem cuter.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 146,466 times
Born in NE PA, lived in upstate NY for 28 yrs and just moved to GR to remarry. Hands down, go East Coast. Pittsburgh is a great place to raise a family. I know several families who were transferred to Pitt and thoroughly loved the area.
Milder weather.
And nowhere near as religiously conservative or judgmental.
Pro sports, college sports, accessibility to the East Coast. Much nicer than the Midwest.
JUST MY OPINION.
Explore New England, NY, Philly, Baltimore, Annapolis, Washington DC, Carolina's.....

Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
I don't really think of Pittsburgh as "East Coast." It's closer to Toledo than it is to Atlantic Ocean. But I also think of the East Coast as cool but really, really expensive for what you get and over-crowded, so maybe Pittsburgh being away from the coast is better?

This is a pretty good resource for Pittsburgh life. I know the people who run it, and they know the city well. http://popcitymedia.com/ There's a similar one for Grand Rapids: http://rapidgrowthmedia.com/

Old 05-17-2014, 04:39 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Please go spend a weekend in Pgh and drive around! Go everywhere - do a pretend commute to work. Shop.

I thought the culture was awesome, but the hills in winter were a deal-breaker for me (just my experience!) but you might find some level area between where you live and work.

That said, I agree with the last poster. I wouldn't like in GR right now until Michigan gets a better handle on the economy. Why pay for Detroit?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:43 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Please go spend a weekend in Pgh and drive around! Go everywhere - do a pretend commute to work. Shop.

I thought the culture was awesome, but the hills in winter were a deal-breaker for me (just my experience!) but you might find some level area between where you live and work.

That said, I agree with the last poster. I wouldn't like in GR right now until Michigan gets a better handle on the economy. Why pay for Detroit?
How exactly are we "paying for Detroit" in West Michigan?

I think we're doing okay...

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...s_the_nat.html

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...ranks_3rd.html

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m..._forbes_l.html

Last edited by magellan; 05-18-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 11:02 AM

I'm from the Midwest. The East Coast doesn't appeal to me as a place to spend the rest of my life. One reason Pittsburgh appealed to me was because it didn't boast an East Coast feel. Not overly populated, not horrible traffic, very blue collar Midwestern type of feel. Though as a Midwesterner I do think the New York accent is the coolest.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:07 AM

I hear so much about the GR Metro area being very socially conservative. Is this really that common?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 960 times
Hey Eddie, I grew up in GR- lived there for 20 years and now have lived in PGH for about 7 years.

Your size comparison/geography is off. Pittsburgh downtown, and the city limits are much much larger than GR. I consider GR and surrounding area flat now when I go back and visit. The hills don't compare to PGH, and the downtown area is about the only flat part of the city. Most winters in PGH have been similar but more mild than GR, this last winter was a bit more rough though. Way more snow in GR (lake effect), the surrounding areas of PGH get a lot more snow than we get in the city limits. Speaking of the lake, GR has lake michigan a short drive away. This is huge if that's something that draws you, because there's nothing remotely like it near PGH.

Socially I'd say there is way more to do in PGH than GR could ever offer. Museums, restaurants, plays, music... simply put, GR is not a large city and PGH is. It's all in a concentrated area with public transit. I used to spend 100s of dollars in gas when I moved from GR. I fill my tank once a month or so now.

GR is socially conservative. For sure. Getting away from that was the best part of moving. It's hard for me to say how much that might have changed since I moved. I was shocked when I heard how liberal the marijuana laws are in GR now, but you'll still see several churches on each block. PGH is no liberal haven, but it sometimes seems so compared to Fox-news loving midwest MI.

PGH is also a college town- Pitt and CMU campuses overlap in the city. I wonder if the population stats reflect this, because it's very noticeable when students are gone for the summer.

Personally, I like PGH more. It depends on your lifestyle though. GR is growing very quickly, and I could see moving back some day (I have family there though, which is a very big draw to me). Because of its size, even if you live IN GR, you'll likely end up with a strong suburban feel. PGH, while not as large as a place like NYC, offers a city living feel.

I could go on longer I'm sure, so if you want to know more just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area