U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,164,377 times

Advertisements

I looked for a beer thread given its relevance to the area and couldn't find one. So I started one.

With $35 million expansion, Founders Brewing targets national brand status | MLive.com

Founders looking to double it's capacity again has got me thinking. If Founders is able to reach it's goal of being a national beer brand will that help the GR's rep as a beer city? I shamefully admit i'm behind the curve in my beer knowledge. I know Founders reputation has put GR on the map as a beer city, but is there a point where it can get too commercial? Will it create more "Beer Tourism"?

Also with the expected announcement of New Holland opening up on the west side is there a saturation point where Grand Rapids can have too many breweries? How many are there now? Does anyone know where I can find stats on the amount of barrels produced in GR compared to other beer cities?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,195,002 times
In beautiful downtown Grandville I pass by an Osgood brewery but never see it mentioned. Anybody know about it?
Osgood Brewing

Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 PM

I am ashamed to admit i hadn't heard about that one.

New Holland Brewing to anchor $17 million mixed-use project in Grand Rapids | MLive.com

But it looks like it's official, that New Holland will be opening up a location in GR. Anyone know how many breweries that will bring the area to in total?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 AM

8,885 posts, read 18,147,498 times
There's a new brewery being built in Cedar Springs, rather large actually. It will back up to the White Pine Trail.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:29 PM

I am starting to feel like breweries are popping up like weeds and that is almost a fad. There will come a time when there will be a saturation point and the area won't be able to sustain anymore breweries I think. As it stands there still seems to be room for growth. Of course as the area continues to grow in beer tourism that will be the deciding factor.

I've been trying to think of all of the breweries to create a list when people ask. I need help, here's what I have thus far.

Founders
Brewery Vivant
Mitten Brewing
GRBC
Perrin in Comstock Park
Osgood in Grandville
New Holland Coming soon

There are way more what can't I rattle them off. (Also does Hopcat brew it's own beer or just have a massive selection)

Old 10-08-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I am starting to feel like breweries are popping up like weeds and that is almost a fad. There will come a time when there will be a saturation point and the area won't be able to sustain anymore breweries I think. As it stands there still seems to be room for growth. Of course as the area continues to grow in beer tourism that will be the deciding factor.

I've been trying to think of all of the breweries to create a list when people ask. I need help, here's what I have thus far.

Founders
Brewery Vivant
Mitten Brewing
GRBC
Perrin in Comstock Park
Osgood in Grandville
New Holland Coming soon

There are way more what can't I rattle them off. (Also does Hopcat brew it's own beer or just have a massive selection)
Gravel Bottom (Ada)
The Hideout (off Plainfield)
Schmohz (Patterson Ave)
Pike 51 in Hudsonville
White Flame in Hudsonville
Harmony in Eastown
Rockford Brewing Co in Rockford
Elk Brewing on Wealthy Street
The BOB brews their own

I don't think there will be a saturation point any time soon. All breweries are (in my mind) are dressed up bars that brew their own beer. There are literally thousands of bars in West Michigan, and not even 20 of them are breweries.

Hopcat does brew some of their own.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Cedar Springs Brewing breaks ground this week with plans to be German beer destination | MLive.com

It was mentioned and then the article followed, Cedar Springs Brewing. Completely new structure replacing an old building, maybe this will awaken Cedar Springs Main St.

Also Harmony Brewing opening in the former Little Mexico looks pretty cool too

Harmony Hall: Former Mexican cafe becoming a multicultural 'wonderland of beer' | MLive.com

Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 PM

Grand Rapids won USA Today's Beer Town poll:

Best Beer Town Winners: 2014 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards

If you scroll down to below the slideshow, you can read the article.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:40 PM

I saw the Best Beer Town article, is that significant or more ceremonial ?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I saw the Best Beer Town article, is that significant or more ceremonial ?
It's a readers choice award, based on voting. Basically the same as Beer City USA done by Beer Advocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area