Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
I have found several sources that state that Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo is not just one brewing region, but one the top 5 in the country.
As for which of the two has more breweries? Well the battle goes back and forth as new ones are opening in each city every year. Right now, I think that Kalamazoo is leading. There were 6 new ones in Kalamazoo alone in 2013.
Current count that I can up with off of my head are: ......most are within a few city blocks of each other-
1. Bells - Kalamazoo with main production facility in the suburb of Comstock
2. Arcadia Brewing - Kalamazoo
3. Boatyard Brewing - Kalamazoo
4. Gonzo's Bigg Dogg Brewing - Kalamazoo
5. Tibbs Brewing - Kalamazoo
6. One Well Brewing - Kalamazoo
7. Old Peninsula Brew Pub - Kalamazoo
8. Rupert's Brew House - Kalamazoo
9. Bilbo's - Kalamazoo
10. Brite Eyes Brewing- Kalamazoo
11. American Brewer's Inc. - Kalamazoo.....bottling only for ZooCity and Michigan Waters
Suburbs -
12. Latitude 42 Brewery - Portage
13. Brovo - Portage
14. Texas Corners Brewing Co. - Texas Twp.
Outer edge of the suburbs:
15. Dirt Bag Brewing Co. - Gobles
16. Paw Paw Brewing Co. - Paw Paw

Just sold a house in Kalamazoo to a brewer from a southern state (cannot give too much information here) that is hoping to break into the Kalamazoo market.
I have also heard of a few more that are in the works.

I love going up to GR and hitting both Founders and Perrin Brewery. Are there any new ones that have opened in the past year? I have family members coming up from Ohio and we plan to hit some of the breweries in GR and we always love to try new brews!

Would love to get a list of GR and it's suburb's breweries too - hate to miss one.

Founders and Perrin obviously.

But also:

Harmony Brewing - GR
Brewery Vivant - GR
Grand Rapid Brewing Co - GR
57 Brewpub - Greenville
The BOB Brewery - GR
Mitten Brewing Co - GR
Big Lake Brewing - Holland
Cellar Brewing - Sparta
Elk Brewing - GR
Gravel Bottom - Ada
Hideout Brewing - Plainfield Twp
Jaden James - Cascade
New Holland - Holland
Old Side Ales - Grand Haven
Old Boy's - Spring Lake
Osgood Brewing - Grandville
Our Brewing Co - Holland
Pigeon Hill - Muskegon
Pike 51 - Hudsonville
Railtown Brewing - Cutlerville
Rockford Brewing Co - Rockford
Saugatuck Brewing Co - Douglas
Schmohz - GR
Unruly Brewing - Muskegon
White Flame Brewing Co - Hudsonville

There are a few more coming soon, one in Monroe North, one on Plainfield in Creston neighborhood and one in Cedar Springs, and New Holland is opening a big new brewpub on the West Side of GR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 AM

447 posts, read 495,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Founders and Perrin obviously.

But also:

Harmony Brewing - GR
Brewery Vivant - GR
Grand Rapid Brewing Co - GR
57 Brewpub - Greenville
The BOB Brewery - GR
Mitten Brewing Co - GR
Big Lake Brewing - Holland
Cellar Brewing - Sparta
Elk Brewing - GR
Gravel Bottom - Ada
Hideout Brewing - Plainfield Twp
Jaden James - Cascade
New Holland - Holland
Old Side Ales - Grand Haven
Old Boy's - Spring Lake
Osgood Brewing - Grandville
Our Brewing Co - Holland
Pigeon Hill - Muskegon
Pike 51 - Hudsonville
Railtown Brewing - Cutlerville
Rockford Brewing Co - Rockford
Saugatuck Brewing Co - Douglas
Schmohz - GR
Unruly Brewing - Muskegon
White Flame Brewing Co - Hudsonville

There are a few more coming soon, one in Monroe North, one on Plainfield in Creston neighborhood and one in Cedar Springs, and New Holland is opening a big new brewpub on the West Side of GR.
That is a lot and it looks like there are a few that are too far out of the area -Muskegon, Holland and Douglas. We only have so much time in Grand Rapids proper, so what would be a good recommendation for our tour? Say give me 5 that we must hit.......okay, 4 that we must hit as Founders is a give me.

FYI we are already hitting the lake shore with Saugatuck Brewing (love them) and New Holland and after those two we are hitting Grand Rapids.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:00 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,349 times
This list will give you a real variety of style and settings:
1. Founders
2. The Mitten
3. Brewery Vivant
4. Harmony
5. Schmoz

Oh, and while in Holland at NHBC, drop in next door to Our Brewing company and also check out Hops at 84 East which has over 60 taps of craft beer.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
This list will give you a real variety of style and settings:
1. Founders
2. The Mitten
3. Brewery Vivant
4. Harmony
5. Schmoz

Oh, and while in Holland at NHBC, drop in next door to Our Brewing company and also check out Hops at 84 East which has over 60 taps of craft beer.
Thanks for the list and the heads up on Our Brewing Co. We will be sure to check them out.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the list and the heads up on Our Brewing Co. We will be sure to check them out.
I would second that list. Although you might want to substitute Hopcat in there somewhere. They have an enormous selection of all microbrews on draft, which is constantly changing.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I would second that list. Although you might want to substitute Hopcat in there somewhere. They have an enormous selection of all microbrews on draft, which is constantly changing.
I have heard that Hopcat is very good, but we are primarily looking to hit breweries. Namely to try brews that are only available at those breweries.
Does Hopcat brew their own?
If so, how do they compare to the other breweries on the list? We only have so much time in GR this trip and we want to hit the best of the best. Also, we will be hitting the Beer Exchange in Kalamazoo on the last night before the in-laws leave, so we will have our chance then to sample hard to find micros from around the country then. In short, we are looking to get the best brews that we cannot find anyplace else!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 PM

Just found this:
Kalamazoo Beer Exchange to celebrate 'best craft beer bar' title with specialty Founders beers | MLive.com

We may be able to cut out Founders on this trip as we can hit the Beer Exchange for a special event featuring Founders. We love the brewery and have been their before, but with this opportunity we could cut them out this year and add someone new.

Who would be a good replacement?

Old 05-22-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I have heard that Hopcat is very good, but we are primarily looking to hit breweries. Namely to try brews that are only available at those breweries.
Does Hopcat brew their own?
If so, how do they compare to the other breweries on the list? We only have so much time in GR this trip and we want to hit the best of the best. Also, we will be hitting the Beer Exchange in Kalamazoo on the last night before the in-laws leave, so we will have our chance then to sample hard to find micros from around the country then. In short, we are looking to get the best brews that we cannot find anyplace else!
Yes, they brew their own. They're also ranked the #1 best brewpub in the United States, two years in a row. They're definitely worth a look. I could recommend a few others but frankly the beers aren't very good. Grand Rapids Brewing Co? ****-water.

Hopcat named #1 brewpub in U.S. second year in a row

Old 05-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, they brew their own. They're also ranked the #1 best brewpub in the United States, two years in a row. They're definitely worth a look. I could recommend a few others but frankly the beers aren't very good. Grand Rapids Brewing Co? ****-water.

Hopcat named #1 brewpub in U.S. second year in a row
Founders out. Hopcat in!
Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:32 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Is the craft beer market in Grand Rapids saturated? | MLive.com

Article about the beer scene in GR becoming over saturated. Really what they are saying is that the scene is maturing and the amateur players are going to be weeded out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area