Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:16 PM

157 posts, read 569,274 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job in Grand Rapids. We're originally from the Detroit area (Oakland Co), but have been living out of state for 5 years. We've been living in a semi-rural county about 40 minutes outside of Richmond,VA. Are there any cities similar to that (big lots, safe, good place for families/walking dogs/etc) in Grand Rapids? I'm looking for somewhere safe, with bigger lots (not interested in tiny postage stamp lots), an acre or more would make me SO HAPPY. Ideally, it'd be within 30 minutes of Grand Rapids. Any suggestions?

Last edited by consideringamove; 12-28-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
My husband was offered a job in Grand Rapids. We're originally from the Detroit area (Oakland Co), but have been living out of state for 5 years. We've been living in a semi-rural county about 40 minutes outside of Richmond,VA. Are there any cities similar to that (big lots, safe, good place for families/walking dogs/etc) in Grand Rapids? I'm looking for somewhere safe, with bigger lots (not interested in tiny postage stamp lots), an acre or more would make me SO HAPPY. Ideally, it'd be within 30 minutes of Grand Rapids. Any suggestions?
Rockford would fit the bill. Rolling countryside, wooded, Rogue River and a lot of lakes, quaint downtown with a lot of shops, good schools.

Ada, Caledonia, Byron Center, Lowell you might also try. Plenty of areas to choose from.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:05 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Rockford would fit the bill. Rolling countryside, wooded, Rogue River and a lot of lakes, quaint downtown with a lot of shops, good schools.

Ada, Caledonia, Byron Center, Lowell you might also try. Plenty of areas to choose from.
This^

Pretty much all you need to do is draw a ten mile radius from downtown and anything outside of that circle should fit your desires pretty well. The world is your oyster.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 AM
chh

420 posts, read 652,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

Pretty much all you need to do is draw a ten mile radius from downtown and anything outside of that circle should fit your desires pretty well. The world is your oyster.
^True this.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 9,164 times
The best answer is to turn down the job, no matter the pay or other advantages.

You will be miserable moving to the closed, unfriendly, place that is Grand Rapids. People here do not welcome outsiders. If you were not born here or are not relocating specifically to join one of the cult churches you'll be very sorry you decided to come to GR.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPW1383 View Post
The best answer is to turn down the job, no matter the pay or other advantages.

You will be miserable moving to the closed, unfriendly, place that is Grand Rapids. People here do not welcome outsiders. If you were not born here or are not relocating specifically to join one of the cult churches you'll be very sorry you decided to come to GR.
Wow after reading your 4 posts, I can tell you have a very balanced world view, not at all the trade mark negativity from someone angry and living in their moms basement. So glad you created an account here on C-D.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 9,164 times
You're quite welcome.

I do have a balanced view. I moved here with all the hope of those others who contemplate doing so, such as the original poster here. I've given it a full year. The truth is, this is just a closed community. For all the parks and stores and tree lined streets, the fact remains that the people are rude and self-centered.

Never lived in Mom's basement. I am married with children, fully employed, and hold advanced degrees. My anger, which I do not deny, comes from making the huge mistake of buying into the utopian view of people like yourself. If Grand Rapids experienced a flood of biblical proportions, you would suggest they've installed a user-friendly beach.

My view is objective, based on my experience here. It is as valid as yours. In fact, since my opinion is different than your own and you've made an ad hoc attack, I suggest you've proven my point about the closed minds in GR.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Mvl

102 posts, read 146,479 times
I have lived in Michigan for just over 2 yrs now and thought I would add my .02......
I also find this a very "closed community."
I have never lived anywhere where the 1st question I've been asked upon mtg someone is "Where do u go to church?" When I reply that I do not attend church, seemingly lovely, warm, mid-westerners most often turned and walk away.
This is not the preconceived notion I had or expected from Midwesterners. I have truly found that if you are not "like minded" you are not welcome. This, compounded with the fact that most ppl I have met recently were born and raised here don't really "need" or "want" friends as they have so much family here.
I'm only being honest here and relaying What I've encountered.

Last edited by Mvl; 01-04-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 11:58 PM

57 posts, read 105,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPW1383 View Post
You're quite welcome.

I do have a balanced view. I moved here with all the hope of those others who contemplate doing so, such as the original poster here. I've given it a full year. The truth is, this is just a closed community. For all the parks and stores and tree lined streets, the fact remains that the people are rude and self-centered.

Never lived in Mom's basement. I am married with children, fully employed, and hold advanced degrees. My anger, which I do not deny, comes from making the huge mistake of buying into the utopian view of people like yourself. If Grand Rapids experienced a flood of biblical proportions, you would suggest they've installed a user-friendly beach.

My view is objective, based on my experience here. It is as valid as yours. In fact, since my opinion is different than your own and you've made an ad hoc attack, I suggest you've proven my point about the closed minds in GR.
I'm sorry that you're so miserable. I hope things get better soon. Let me know if I can help.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
I have lived in Michigan for just over 2 yrs now and thought I would add my .02......
I also find this a very "closed community."
I have never lived anywhere where the 1st question I've been asked upon mtg someone is "Where do u go to church?" When I reply that I do not attend church, seemingly lovely, warm, mid-westerners most often turned and walk away.
This is not the preconceived notion I had or expected from Midwesterners. I have truly found that if you are not "like minded" you are not welcome. This, compounded with the fact that most ppl I have met recently were born and raised here don't really "need" or "want" friends as they have so much family here.
I'm only being honest here and relaying What I've encountered.
I moved to Grand Rapids in 2009 and I couldn't have had a more different experience. I don't live there at the moment but I am eager to move back and be part of the change happening there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area