Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times

Advertisements

Grand Rapids is only 45 square miles, while other cities especially in the South or out West are much larger usually around 300 square miles. Some cities like Louisville, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville have consolidated with their respective counties.

I am wondering if people in the suburbs of Grand Rapids would favor being one city. What do you guys think? Imagine if Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids Township, East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Walker, and Wyoming consolidated. The population of Grand Rapids would be close to 400,000 people. It would also be 143 square miles, around the size of Detroit.

And for now, never mind the Michigan constitution about land annexation by cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Grand Rapids is only 45 square miles, while other cities especially in the South or out West are much larger usually around 300 square miles. Some cities like Louisville, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville have consolidated with their respective counties.

I am wondering if people in the suburbs of Grand Rapids would favor being one city. What do you guys think? Imagine if Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids Township, East Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kentwood, Walker, and Wyoming consolidated. The population of Grand Rapids would be close to 400,000 people. It would also be 143 square miles, around the size of Detroit.

And for now, never mind the Michigan constitution about land annexation by cities.
This idea has been floated, I believe called "One Kent." Nobody was interested in actually merging municipalities, although it did create quite a few sharing of services agreements.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Even Grand Rapids merging with Wyoming and Kentwood would create a city of 320k people in 90 sq mi. If GR could expand it's footprint and consolidate with redundant municipalities it would certainly make it more visible on a national stage. The benefits of that added visibility has already been seen in the brand names looking to expand in the area, after metro realignment

Aside from the impossible MI annexation laws, I see the tenacious suburban residents fighting it all the way to the supreme court no matter what the benefits.

But for the record I have long wished for this.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Even Grand Rapids merging with Wyoming and Kentwood would create a city of 320k people in 90 sq mi. If GR could expand it's footprint and consolidate with redundant municipalities it would certainly make it more visible on a national stage. The benefits of that added visibility has already been seen in the brand names looking to expand in the area, after metro realignment

Aside from the impossible MI annexation laws, I see the tenacious suburban residents fighting it all the way to the supreme court no matter what the benefits.

But for the record I have long wished for this.
If tram systems are set up, more pedestrian areas in neighborhoods, and further development downtown, attitudes might change. I really think that Michigan cities are at a disadvantage with the redundant municipalities. Other areas such as Lansing-East Lansing and Kalamazoo and Portage come to mind.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:16 PM

447 posts, read 495,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
If tram systems are set up, more pedestrian areas in neighborhoods, and further development downtown, attitudes might change. I really think that Michigan cities are at a disadvantage with the redundant municipalities. Other areas such as Lansing-East Lansing and Kalamazoo and Portage come to mind.
I have always thought that this was a good idea. Grand Rapids could really get a boost on a national scene not to mention all of the money that would be saved in taxes do to redundancy.

I wish Kalamazoo would do this too as it would put our population around 200,000. It would really give Lansing a boost too.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Not going to happen until the white flight types that caused the formation of cities like Wyoming and Walker finally die off.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Not going to happen until the white flight types that caused the formation of cities like Wyoming and Walker finally die off.
I think the ignorant white flight types that were at the core of the organization of cities like these are no longer the problem. At 75k people Wyoming might well overtake Kalamazoo in population soon, and is almost as diverse. It has an inner ring suburb feel and struggles with some inner ring issues. It has come up with its own master plan to redevelop the eroding 28th st corridor that has transformed into a check cashing and buy/pay here car dealer mecca. It feels like the relationship between Wyoming and GR has softened quite a bit over the last couple decades.

Kentwood/Rentwood has also started to have to deal with inner ring issues and is slightly more diverse than Wyoming. I feel like these two cities have the most in common with Grand Rapids and would benefit the most from a streamlining of services and coming up with Zoned master plans and such. However Wyoming residents don't play any city income taxes, which very well might cause them to instantly take a hit in the pocketbook if anything like that were to happen. I can see that being a big deterrent.

Walker on the other hand is far less diverse, less populated, and almost irresponsibly anti-growth. It is also larger than Kentwood or Wyoming in land area.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:53 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
White flight types die off? 3/4s of the population of Kent County resides outside of any of the incorporates cities. And that's pretty much the case around the country. That ship has sailed. If all those people die off and are not replaced, you'd have a crisis of epic proportions (see Cleveland metro).

There has to be an economic advantage for these large townships to merge with cities. They usually pay less in property taxes, pay no city income tax, and crime is a lot lower. I don't know what the selling card is other than to make the core city "seem" bigger to the world, which most township residents don't really care about. Give em a Whole Foods, 8 lane freeways and direct flights to big cities and they're happy as clams.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:56 PM

23 posts, read 48,720 times
I approve of this, especially if your talking about Kentwood, Jenison, Grandville, and Wyoming.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:58 PM

23 posts, read 48,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think the ignorant white flight types that were at the core of the organization of cities like these are no longer the problem. At 75k people Wyoming might well overtake Kalamazoo in population soon, and is almost as diverse. It has an inner ring suburb feel and struggles with some inner ring issues. It has come up with its own master plan to redevelop the eroding 28th st corridor that has transformed into a check cashing and buy/pay here car dealer mecca. It feels like the relationship between Wyoming and GR has softened quite a bit over the last couple decades.

Kentwood/Rentwood has also started to have to deal with inner ring issues and is slightly more diverse than Wyoming. I feel like these two cities have the most in common with Grand Rapids and would benefit the most from a streamlining of services and coming up with Zoned master plans and such. However Wyoming residents don't play any city income taxes, which very well might cause them to instantly take a hit in the pocketbook if anything like that were to happen. I can see that being a big deterrent.

Walker on the other hand is far less diverse, less populated, and almost irresponsibly anti-growth. It is also larger than Kentwood or Wyoming in land area.
I would prefer we not merge with Walker due to there is absolutely nothing there. Although if the right development plans were set in place my opinion of this would change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area