Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 10:54 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times

Advertisements

LGBT discrimination ordinance in East Grand Rapids to get hearing | MLive.com

East Grand Rapids city council to consider adding LGBT residents to its anti-discrimination ordinance. The article doesn't speculate on the outcome, but from my experience I don't think it will have trouble. I've heard a few people use EGR as a punching bag for conservatism but that's never been my experience. Odd bit of trivia in 2004 when the marriage referendum was on the ballot EGR was the only city in Kent County to vote against it.

Aside from EGR having a sizeable gay presence, upper middle class and wealthy people tend to be more libertarian. Traditionally more appreciative and accepting of their gay counterparts. The case is the same in East Grand Rapids as it is in other old money suburbs i've encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 AM

LGBT protections added to West Michigan city's municipal code | MLive.com

Ordinance passes unanimously good for them. It'll be interesting to see if GR updates it's own language protecting LGBT individuals to be more concise as city hall has talked about.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Just curious - is there a reason you're so active on this forum even though you don't live here and so inactive on the forum where you do live?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Just curious - is there a reason you're so active on this forum even though you don't live here and so inactive on the forum where you do live?
Yes, I am from Grand Rapids. It's one of my favorite cities and I love keeping up with all the changes going on. I started checking in on here a few months before I was sent to Louisville. You've prolly seen me on other GR centric chat forums. I've been in Kentucky for not quite ten months because of work. I like it here too but it's just not the same as watching everything go on in GR. I check into the KY forums but there's not often things that I want to talk about. They tend talk about more social things. I prefer to talk about the new developments and stuff around the city. I will be back in GR when this assignments up. Until then I live vicariously through these forums when i'm not up for a visit.

Last edited by mjlo; 03-19-2015 at 11:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area