Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 AM

107 posts, read 187,887 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am from Michigan and I have never been to Grand Rapids or the areas near, I know crazy. I will be taking a 13 week assignment in Grand Rapids. I will be traveling with my husband and our dog Jax. We would love to know what there is to do in GR or surrounding areas that are dog friendly. Also that of course just my husband and I could do. He will be with Jax during the day while I'm working. So dog parks, beaches would be beneficial. Thanks in advance to all that reply. We will be arriving at the end of April and staying near the end of July. We are very excited to see what GR has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 09:04 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Well there's tons to do and enjoy, do you know where you'll be staying?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:34 AM

Hey Mjlo, we will be staying at the Staybridge extended stay for 13wks. I believe that is in Kentwood. I have been searching for dog parks and I see quite a few between GR and Holland and Muskegon. But what about those places that don't make the internet. You know fun little places that locales hang out.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:35 AM

I guess it's called Extended Stay America

Old 04-04-2015, 04:43 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Well the good news is you'll have a lot of time to explore. I can tell you about the bars and restaurants that are my favorite but they are probably the same places you have found in your own searching. I'd set out on foot along Wealthy St in the Easthills, Easttown, and definitely Cherry st/Lake Dr business districts near Heritage Hill. Obviously downtown and the Heartside will be full of things both on the web and tucked away.

My favorite park is Riverside Park it has some good walking areas. Also the White Pine Trail starting in Comstock Park near West River Dr and 4 mile. One of our favorite things to do on warm days is have a few drinks on Vitales all season porch and then go walk it off along the trail. Another one of my favorite trails is going to be along Butterworth St just past the westside along the river but I forget what it's called. The West side itself has two of my favorite parks John Ball, (also attached to the Zoo), and Richmond Park. Both often have a lot of owners with their dogs and but have trails going up into the hills that are fun to walk in. I'm sorry I'm not knowledgeable about dog parks specifically but i've never had to use them. I also am not familiar with the parks and trails in the Kentwood area.

I wish I could be more specific. My favorite places to eat in the city are all in the neighborhoods centered around downtown that I listed earlier. I'd check out the Farmers Market on Fulton and of course the Downtown Market. Marthas Vineyard is a great store to check out if you like beer and wine.

Your best bet is to start in some of the places you've researched and just explore, it's also a lot of fun.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,497 times
Founders, Frederik Meijer Grardens, Grand Haven, Saugutuck.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:19 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle73 View Post
Hello All,

I am from Michigan and I have never been to Grand Rapids or the areas near, I know crazy. I will be taking a 13 week assignment in Grand Rapids. I will be traveling with my husband and our dog Jax. We would love to know what there is to do in GR or surrounding areas that are dog friendly. Also that of course just my husband and I could do. He will be with Jax during the day while I'm working. So dog parks, beaches would be beneficial. Thanks in advance to all that reply. We will be arriving at the end of April and staying near the end of July. We are very excited to see what GR has to offer.

13 weeks is a lot of time, in probably the best time of year to be in West Michigan. All of the Kent County parks are dog friendly (leash laws apply). All of the rail trails are dog friendly. I also think that Muskegon has a dog friendly beach at Pere Marquette Beach?

Old 04-18-2015, 06:02 AM

Oh thank you all so much. This is very helpful. We will be there next Saturday. We are getting so excited. I can't wait to experience summer on the west side

Old 04-18-2015, 06:58 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle73 View Post
Hello All,

It's been a while since I was in Grand Rapids but I found plenty to enjoy. Spent three weeks at the historic Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, constructed in 1914, in downtown GR. The Amway was first rate with old world charm and excellent dining. You need not stay there to enjoy the restaurants and entertainment.

Fish Ladder Park near the Sixth Street Dam, downtown on the Grand River, was fascinating. Large steelhead can be viewed through underwater windows as they migrate through the river. You could buy smoked steelhead, whole or by the pound, at little shops near the river.

With Holland MI, 30 miles west, you have a great variety of interesting things to do and enjoy nearby.

Lastly, Kent County had one of the very best FM rock & roll stations I've ever heard, great for driving.

Rust

Old 04-19-2015, 07:00 AM

130 posts, read 186,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
It's been a while since I was in Grand Rapids . . .

Lastly, Kent County had one of the very best FM rock & roll stations I've ever heard, great for driving.

Rust
I think you've been gone for a long time. The rest of your post is OK and there is even more to do than just a few years ago, i.e. the entertainment scene and the world class craft beer brewers, BUT except for one non-profit community radio station (which isn't particularly rock oriented) the radio stations in GR are all pretty much owned by the usual national corporations and the programming is the usual standard insipid stuff you can hear anywhere. The original programming is long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area