U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,213 times

Advertisements

considering moving into a house on s division near Griggs. I've heard it's a "bad neighborhood" but not any specifics about it. I know there's a high population of African Americans and Latinos in the area, and that s division is kind of commercial. I grew up in Muskegon heights so I'm guessing the neighborhood is probably similar to where I grew up.

Can anyone tell me anything about the area, crime, demographics, and new developments if any that are happening in the area. I refuse to be scared away by people who have never lived let alone ventured into the area. If there's houses being renovated and new businesses coming that's would be awesome. I just don't want any gang violence, shootings or overall not feeling save in my own home. Lots of cities have their fair share of "bad areas" but they turn out to not be that bad.

Any help would be great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 AM

2,232 posts, read 4,396,243 times
That area is kind of in the thick of it. It seems most of the crimes have been centralized in the areas between Division, and Kalamazoo (east and west), and Burton and Franklin (north and south). G.R. has been doing a lot of work trying to fix up the Division area, there is still a lot of work to be done, lots of boarded up buildings, and factories. I'd try a little further south or North of town

Crime Mapping S Division Ave, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 49507&bcy=5301464.125525171&bcx=-9536385.267990757&br=2.0&xmin=-9548299.889774691&ymin=5296753.941514238&xmax=-9524470.646206819&ymax=5306060.149707946

Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 AM

8,884 posts, read 19,064,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouldntyouliketoknow View Post
considering moving into a house on s division near Griggs. I've heard it's a "bad neighborhood" but not any specifics about it. I know there's a high population of African Americans and Latinos in the area, and that s division is kind of commercial. I grew up in Muskegon heights so I'm guessing the neighborhood is probably similar to where I grew up.

Can anyone tell me anything about the area, crime, demographics, and new developments if any that are happening in the area. I refuse to be scared away by people who have never lived let alone ventured into the area. If there's houses being renovated and new businesses coming that's would be awesome. I just don't want any gang violence, shootings or overall not feeling save in my own home. Lots of cities have their fair share of "bad areas" but they turn out to not be that bad.

Any help would be great!
That's not far from the Burton Heights area, which people are speculating will be the next Wealthy Street, which also used to be in rough shape and was overrun by the Bemis Boys (gang). It will be at least 10 years before anything major happens though in Burton Heights, but it will happen as other areas become too expensive. There's a great old abandoned theater in that area that is ripe for bringing back to life.

There's also a stop nearby for the new Silver Line BRT bus. Doesn't hurt.

If you're used to Muskegon Heights and like the vibe, you'll probably do just fine. The great majority of people are law-abiding citizens, despite the crime rates. Not gonna lie, you will see a lot of police busts in your neighborhood, and occasional gunshots.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 PM

I'm wondering specifically about Garfield Park near S Division. I know the area is considered bad but I'm hoping to hear from current or past residents of this specific area.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering specifically about Garfield Park near S Division. I know the area is considered bad but I'm hoping to hear from current or past residents of this specific area.
The Garfield Park Neighborhood technically doesn't reach S Division until you get South of Alger.

There are probably families on Griggs near S Division who pray every day for the chance to move out of that area and the crime, but you might not mind it that much.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 AM

Ok then what's the neighborhood called by s division and Griggs. All the maps I've seen say it's Garfield park

Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 AM

82 posts, read 130,632 times
It depends who you ask. Google says it's Burton Heights. And this is Garfield Park.

The City of Grand Rapids website has a link to neighborhood maps provided by Grand Valley State University. It says it's all Garfield Park.

The City of Grand Rapids website also has a map of the Business Associations in the city. It shows it being in both Burton Heights and Madison Square.

City-Data has maps showing Burton Heights and Garfield Park occupying much of the same area

Last edited by Gorath; 07-24-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Ok then what's the neighborhood called by s division and Griggs. All the maps I've seen say it's Garfield park
It doesn't really matter. The feel of the neighborhoods within a 5 block radius of South Division and Burton all pretty much feel the same.

My guess is that no one on this forum has ever lived in that specific area, which is not a big surprise.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:07 AM

So this happened in that neighborhood last night:

Man shot twice, walks into a Grand Rapids bar | Fox17

I shouldn't laugh but it sounds like the start of a joke..

Old 07-26-2015, 10:46 AM

208 posts, read 342,231 times
I grew up not far from the area which is known as Alger heights in the area around Madison and Alger. It was solid then the area is a few blocks from Garfield park which is some nice houses nearby. Then it gets a lil rough. Around Burton and Jefferson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area