Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 02:04 PM

44 posts, read 43,919 times

Advertisements

Hello friends! I am flying in on Th and Friday have a full round of interviews, but on Saturday I am completely free for the entire day. What are some things I should do to feel like a local for the day? Parks, zoo, drive to the beach area in Holland, farmer's market, see certain neighborhoods? I am hitting up several beer bars on Friday night so that is covered, but wouldn't mind suggestions for the downtown area on Saturday night as well. I know we are going to HopCat, Founder's, Stella's, and Woods. I am staying at the Amway hotel in downtown area if that lets you know of any walkable things around.

The purpose of this is to decide if I want to move there. I understand this will be very different than the winter time haha. Overall, how do you all like living there? Fun place? Still fun in the winter time? I am moving from Arkansas where we certainly can have a good winter, but not like that. Any insights would be very helpful, and thank you!

One last thing...is there good Mexican food in GR haha? I don't mind the nicer spots, but I really like the hole in the wall cheap spots where you get a ton of food for $12 or so. They are all over here and so good.

Last edited by JaredSD; 09-07-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 PM

44 posts, read 43,919 times
I meant to ask, What should I do in one day. Sorry.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:46 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dBZZMkh4vg

Old 09-08-2015, 06:05 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD View Post
Hello friends! I am flying in on Th and Friday have a full round of interviews, but on Saturday I am completely free for the entire day. What are some things I should do to feel like a local for the day? Parks, zoo, drive to the beach area in Holland, farmer's market, see certain neighborhoods? I am hitting up several beer bars on Friday night so that is covered, but wouldn't mind suggestions for the downtown area on Saturday night as well. I know we are going to HopCat, Founder's, Stella's, and Woods. I am staying at the Amway hotel in downtown area if that lets you know of any walkable things around.

The purpose of this is to decide if I want to move there. I understand this will be very different than the winter time haha. Overall, how do you all like living there? Fun place? Still fun in the winter time? I am moving from Arkansas where we certainly can have a good winter, but not like that. Any insights would be very helpful, and thank you!

One last thing...is there good Mexican food in GR haha? I don't mind the nicer spots, but I really like the hole in the wall cheap spots where you get a ton of food for $12 or so. They are all over here and so good.

Really it's all in the eye of the beholder. I've always been impressed with the selection of Mexican restaurants in the GR/Holland area. There are both the chain-esque places, and the holes in the wall. A lot of that has to do with the area having a much higher than average Latino population for the Midwest. Grand Rapids is 15% Latino, and Holland and Wyoming are around 20%. The Roosevelt Park neighborhood in Grand Rapids is a "little Mexico" of sorts. The West Side also has a sizeable immigrant population. Both have some pretty good Mexican restaurants to choose from. I recommend Tacos El Cunado on Grandville Ave. There are a couple on the West Side that I really like too, but I can't remember the names. The Godfrey-Lee neighborhood in Wyoming has a pretty good selection of street taco joints as well.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Another beer place you might want to try is Brewery Vivant...and a gorgeous hidden gem of a neighborhood to cruise through is the Heritage Hills subdivision, "estately" homes from early wealthy settlement of GR, including the restored Frank Lloyd Wright house called Meyer May. East Grand Rapids is a great area, especially the area around Reed Lake~so much activity in that area all summer long, and ice skating in the winter. Holland is great, but there's so much to see and do in GR, you might want to concentrate on the area around there to make your decision. If you like GR, you'll love the proximity to Lake Michigan and the smaller towns north and south of Holland as well. There are several museums within walking distance of your hotel; President Ford Museum, GRAM and Public Museum as well as a nice zoo and Meijer Gardens. The zoo and Meijer Gardens are not walk-able, but definitely part of the lure of Grand Rapids. For shopping, the whole 28th street conglomerate/experience~looking forward to the opening of Trader Joe's and I believe the Byron Outlet center opened earlier this summer.

Yes, you will experience snow, probably more than you wish for~GR gets much of the lake effect weather; ie moisture. Good Luck with your interviews!

Old 09-09-2015, 06:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
You can rent bikes while you're here, there's a new service called SpokeFly with bikes all over the city. They have an app that you can use on your phone, and you'll find the SpokeFly bikes on a map on the app. There are a few stations near AGP I believe.

I'd hit the Downtown Market on Ionia, the GRAM, Meyer May House in Heritage Hill (Frank Lloyd Wright home, check for tour hours), any of the shops or restaurants on Cherry Street/Diamond or Wealthy Street. All are East of downtown.

A trip to the beach/lakeshore will take most of a day, so you'd probably have to count on doing either that or touring around Grand Rapids. Pretty tough to do both. If you're going the beach route I'd hit Grand Haven or Saugatuck rather than Holland, personally.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
A recent article in New York Magazine may help:

Weekend Getaway — Grand Rapids — New York Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area