Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:49 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times

Advertisements

http://http://www.mlive.com/business...art_river_home

Like said in the other thread the largest data center in the Eastern US is being built at the former Steelcase Pyramid. How do you all think this will impact the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:37 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
http://http://www.mlive.com/business...art_river_home

Like said in the other thread the largest data center in the Eastern US is being built at the former Steelcase Pyramid. How do you all think this will impact the area?
I think it will either be HUGE or it will be so-so. As far as employment goes, it's another employer with 1000 semi-skilled technicians working in technology. This isn't exactly Alabama where that would be a huge windfall. We are fortunate to have quite a few employers in the area like that.

However, the presence of such a facility, one of a handful in the entire country, leapfrogs a bunch of peer cities in exposing the area to other data-rich users. If you don't think data is a big deal, put down your phone and shut off your wireless and try to read this post.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:51 AM

When is the state legislature going to vote on this? I can't seem to figure that out.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
When is the state legislature going to vote on this? I can't seem to figure that out.
The latest article I saw, Yonkers is hoping they can do it in committee and not have to go to the floor, which could be before Christmas. Otherwise I believe it will be after the first of the year.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:18 AM

It sounds like they want to start moving in quickly, I hope they don't delay.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
Get ready from increased wages in the IT/software fields.
Data center interests 'very techy' companies

Old 11-19-2015, 06:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
I hope it happens....but a part of me says that when all is said and done, if it comes to fruition, it will not be the size investment that is being advertised. A part of me thinks that this is a ploy to get the change in laws for the tax breaks, but in 10 years it will not be a 5 billion dollar investment. Even if not and only turns out to be half of what is being said.....that is still great for the area.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I hope it happens....but a part of me says that when all is said and done, if it comes to fruition, it will not be the size investment that is being advertised. A part of me thinks that this is a ploy to get the change in laws for the tax breaks, but in 10 years it will not be a 5 billion dollar investment. Even if not and only turns out to be half of what is being said.....that is still great for the area.
I think it may actually end up being bigger than they are proposing, but yes it will probably take 10 years to build out (if they ever stop building out). When Switch first proposed their data centers in Nevada, they did not anticipate that they'd be up to almost 10 million square feet of data center space. And the need for data is only expected to increase in the next 10 years, exponentially. Look at all the things that phones and tablets can do now on the cloud even compared to 2 or 3 years ago. Imagine what the next 5 to 10 years will bring.

And there's plenty of land around the Steelcase Pyramid to expand.

http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/ap...54.fullarticle

Last edited by magellan; 11-19-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 AM

Late last night legislators signed the sales and use tax exemption bills (they dropped the personal property tax bill) for all data centers in Michigan to make this a reality. Switch has verified that it's a done deal. As long as Snyder signs, construction should begin after the 1st of the year on the old Pyramid building and at least one NAP facility. Each one of these is about 400,000 square feet.

Michigan House, Senate vote for tax breaks to land Switch data center | MLive.com

Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 AM

Yay! I was worried about this one because of the states historic inability to be innovative and get out of it's own way. I've been stuck in a meeting all morning and hadn't heard that it passed yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area