Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Home building soars as buyers scramble to find housing | MLive.com

Home building upticking quite a bit. All of the new houses being built are within the current urban boundaries creating more density. How long before new developments pop out in the outlying suburbs? One thing GR does not have that a lot of it's growing peers do is new emerging areas. It's less sprawled and almost all growth in the past 5 years has come as infill.
Thank god.

The nice thing about GR is there is a lot of space to build.

Hopefully this will give some relief to those looking to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 01:29 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Home building soars as buyers scramble to find housing | MLive.com

Home building upticking quite a bit. All of the new houses being built are within the current urban boundaries creating more density. How long before new developments pop out in the outlying suburbs? One thing GR does not have that a lot of it's growing peers do is new emerging areas. It's less sprawled and almost all growth in the past 5 years has come as infill.
I've noticed quite an uptick in residential developments in the burbs this Spring starting up. Projects that sat dormant for quite a while are coming back to life. It's a good time to be an excavator, tree removal company and/or road builder.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I've noticed quite an uptick in residential developments in the burbs this Spring starting up. Projects that sat dormant for quite a while are coming back to life. It's a good time to be an excavator, tree removal company and/or road builder.

That's what I'm saying, all of the new construction is in established areas. I think it's fairly unique to the Grand Rapids area. All of the new commercial and residential growth is happening in established corridors. There are no new emerging areas or exurban growth really. When they start updating the infrastructure in Ottawa County on it's plethora of inadequate country roads you'll know they are finally serious about the growth that is happening here.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm saying, all of the new construction is in established areas. I think it's fairly unique to the Grand Rapids area. All of the new commercial and residential growth is happening in established corridors. There are no new emerging areas or exurban growth really. When they start updating the infrastructure in Ottawa County on it's plethora of inadequate country roads you'll know they are finally serious about the growth that is happening here.
Have you been out in Allendale lately? Out beyond 56th? That's quite a boom area right now.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Have you been out in Allendale lately? Out beyond 56th? That's quite a boom area right now.
Yeah I drive LMD out to my office almost 5 days a week. I know they are building things and people are moving there. But there is almost NO expansion in actual road infrastructure in Ottawa County. Or expansion in Commercial areas. If you have to travel east to west in Ottawa CO your option is pretty much LMD. If you're traveling South-North and you're not on the lakeshore you have to make a series of turns on small country roads. It is the fastest growing county in the state, and will likely be over 300k in population by 2020. It seems like nothing is being done to bring the infrastructure into the modern era.

Although that may be by design. If those upgrades were actually made it's growth rate would probably double, and slow the growth in Kent Co a bit. Lord knows it's core resident base is beyond change averse.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah I drive LMD out to my office almost 5 days a week. I know they are building things and people are moving there. But there is almost NO expansion in actual road infrastructure in Ottawa County. Or expansion in Commercial areas. If you have to travel east to west in Ottawa CO your option is pretty much LMD. If you're traveling South-North and you're not on the lakeshore you have to make a series of turns on small country roads. It is the fastest growing county in the state, and will likely be over 300k in population by 2020. It seems like nothing is being done to bring the infrastructure into the modern era.

Although that may be by design. If those upgrades were actually made it's growth rate would probably double, and slow the growth in Kent Co a bit. Lord knows it's core resident base is beyond change averse.
People like to live within striking distance of a highway interchange (3 - 4 miles). Anything further than that and most people feel like it's "way out there honey." Until 231 gets put in all the way, the area between 56th and 31 will remain mostly low density development.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
People like to live within striking distance of a highway interchange (3 - 4 miles). Anything further than that and most people feel like it's "way out there honey." Until 231 gets put in all the way, the area between 56th and 31 will remain mostly low density development.
I understand but you can't even get from 196 to Allendale direct.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
You guys are making me thankful to live east of GR. For some reason the sprawl seems way worse to the west and south of GR. Hudsonville/Jenison/Allendale don't seem all that appealing to me, but people keep moving there. Go figure.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
You guys are making me thankful to live east of GR. For some reason the sprawl seems way worse to the west and south of GR. Hudsonville/Jenison/Allendale don't seem all that appealing to me, but people keep moving there. Go figure.
To the South and the West is mainly farmland, and townships love to see farmland turned into housing and commercial developments because the tax revenue is so much higher than agriculture. It's easier and cheaper out there. The whole East Side of Kent County didn't get used intensively for farming because of the terrain, until you get out toward Lowell and East of Rockford. Those rolling wooded neighborhoods are expensive to develop.

Ada Township recently instituted 2 acre minimum lots for much of their township, to impede development, because the assessed values are so high and Amway pays a lot in taxes. They don't need the money quite as much and they want to preserve the rural character of the township.

Grand Rapids Township wants development, but basically only concentrated along the East Beltline corridor, Fulton, and Forest Hills Avenue. The rest of the township is challenging at best.

My guess is the next wave of larger developments will come in Caledonia, Lowell and Dorr, and obviously Hudsonville/Allendale will continue. Property in the desirable areas is becoming too expensive, land owners have gone crazy and think they can command any price, when really, developers will just look elsewhere further out.

Last edited by magellan; 04-15-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Interesting stuff. Thanks Magellan. As someone who has spent a lot of time living on the eastern outskirts of the GR metro, I have always wondered why the development seems to happen more on the "other side of town." That makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area