U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 09:05 AM

13,819 posts, read 8,209,970 times

Advertisements

FYI....folks talking about Grand Rapids

As Seattle home prices grow, buyers are fleeing to...Grand Rapids? - Curbed Seattle

While I do often feel it is necessary to show the other side of things, for a truer picture, I have always felt that the Grand Rapids area has tremendous potential to be a quasi boom town. I think it is very "slept on", in urban vernacular. Located in the "rust belt" in a state that has largely been written off in a northerly peninsula that does not facilitate "pass through" free advertisement....it lacks in the (Location, Location, Location) attribute. However, as Grand Rapids appears on more lists and more lips, its primed to reach new levels of growth not seen since the mid 90's.....it just needs to work on that airport and get more competition in there and not simply cater to business travelers. Way too expensive to fly in and out of.

There are a lot of great things going on in Grand Rapids and the State (Detroit). The vibe is totally different from 10 years ago.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 06-17-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 10:27 AM

9,166 posts, read 17,801,318 times
We were in the Seattle-Olympic Peninsula area last week, and agreed that the area actually was kind of like parts of Michigan but with mountains.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:18 PM

421 posts, read 393,895 times
I have sold 2 homes this past year in Kalamazoo to transplants from Seattle. Cost of living was their major reason for leaving. If we are getting them moving here in Kazoo then I can only imagine that GR is getting a lot more Seattle transplants.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM

13,819 posts, read 8,209,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
We were in the Seattle-Olympic Peninsula area last week, and agreed that the area actually was kind of like parts of Michigan but with mountains.
Michigan has a lot of natural beauty......I wonder why those chose that particular image of Grand Rapids though

Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,148,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Michigan has a lot of natural beauty......I wonder why those chose that particular image of Grand Rapids though
That is a VERY interesting choice of pictures. I like it, but it's probably from the early 1900's.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,048,445 times
I think Grand Rapids needs to be careful.

Wealthy and well-off individuals moving to Grand Rapids is good.

An influx is terrible.

It will ruin the very reason these people are moving to GR: the low cost of living.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:04 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,148,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
I think Grand Rapids needs to be careful.

Wealthy and well-off individuals moving to Grand Rapids is good.

An influx is terrible.

It will ruin the very reason these people are moving to GR: the low cost of living.
I don't disagree one bit. It's a hard tap to turn down though, without turning it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area