Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2016, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,302 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm looking for some insight into the best areas for newcomers and young families. My husband and I moved to Jenison with our 4 children about 2 years ago. We are originally from the east side of the state but moved to west Mi after 9 years in Florida. We chose Jenison quite randomly because of the good schools and close proximity to GR where my husband works. I must say I am completely at odds with this area - I find it to be very stand-offish and insular. As a stay at home mom I have a great need for community and friends which I have struggled to find here. We are now ready to buy a home and are looking to other communities in west mi. Can anyone recommend an area that is family friendly and welcoming? I am missing the warm Florida sunshine and people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 06:10 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisyz View Post
Hi everyone I'm looking for some insight into the best areas for newcomers and young families. My husband and I moved to Jenison with our 4 children about 2 years ago. We are originally from the east side of the state but moved to west Mi after 9 years in Florida. We chose Jenison quite randomly because of the good schools and close proximity to GR where my husband works. I must say I am completely at odds with this area - I find it to be very stand-offish and insular. As a stay at home mom I have a great need for community and friends which I have struggled to find here. We are now ready to buy a home and are looking to other communities in west mi. Can anyone recommend an area that is family friendly and welcoming? I am missing the warm Florida sunshine and people.
Jenison is a tough nut to crack.

If you're OK with living on that side of Grand Rapids, I would try Byron Center or Hudsonville which have a lot more newer neighborhoods with a lot more newcomers to the area (who are also trying to make connections).

Otherwise try Forest Hills or East Grand Rapids (although you may find far fewer home school families in those areas because the schools are so highly rated).

Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. We are not a homeschooling family so that is not an issue. We really don't love the suburbs west of grand rapids for the reasons mentioned above and are considering going north toward Rockford area, East (Ada, Lowell) or Caledonia/ Byron center. Is there one area better than the other. Pros/cons?

Thank you

Old 11-10-2016, 11:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
There are also parts of Planfield Township that are nice, and it slides under the radar a bit so prices are generally pretty reasonable. Also reasonable commute into the city, and either Northview or Forest Hills schools.

I still think of Hudsonville and Bryon Center as rather Jenison-lite, though my data for that is pretty old at this point.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
I'd look on the east side of Grand Rapids in the Easttown/East Hills Neighborhoods too. The houses are older but quite a few are phenomenally redone. It's in the city(I don't know if you're trying to avoid that), but the residents in those neighborhoods tend to be younger more educated and progressive couples that have a stronger sense of community. Not to mention the walking distance to all of the cool stuff around there.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. We are not a homeschooling family so that is not an issue. We really don't love the suburbs west of grand rapids for the reasons mentioned above and are considering going north toward Rockford area, East (Ada, Lowell) or Caledonia/ Byron center. Is there one area better than the other. Pros/cons?

Thank you
Sorry, I don't know where I was thinking homeschooling. Any of the areas you mentioned are fine. I would look for a newer neighborhoods, homes less than 10 - 15 years old.

What's your price range? I may even be able to make some more specific recommendations.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:59 PM

Price range is between 250 to 300k. I've heard the forest hills and rockford school districts are great but can be stuck up? Is that accurate?
Can you recommend any established neighborhoods with a nice amount of trees and a little space from neighbors.
Thanks so much

Old 11-12-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Price range is between 250 to 300k. I've heard the forest hills and rockford school districts are great but can be stuck up? Is that accurate?
Can you recommend any established neighborhoods with a nice amount of trees and a little space from neighbors.
Thanks so much
That's a pretty broad question, there are literally hundreds of neighborhoods like that. The problem is the number of homes on the available on the market is extremely low.

$250 - $300 will be tough in Forest Hills, and I don't think FH and Rockford are all that stuck up. I can message you some ideas if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area