Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 10:17 AM

6 posts, read 7,981 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are in the process of relocating to Grand Rapids professionally and need advice from all you Grand Rapids veterans. If you are staying in an apartment that you just love or think it's a great place to be; regardless if it's downtown or within 20 minutes from downtown, we would love to get the name(s) of your place. Our minimal criteria is that it is safe, accept (1) cat and below $1600/month? Except for Ada, Cascade & East Grand Rapids,we've read some great stories and not so great story about the city and locations. Now we are both confused of where to go. The city seems like it has much to offer and honestly, we are extremely excited to get out there. So, if any of you know and would like to give a shout-out to your apartment(s), we would greatly appreciated. Thank you

-also would love to hear of an 'furnished' apartment that will accommodate 3 months lease would be great. --Are we asking for too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
At your price point you have options. The first question is do you have a preference about being in or near downtown, or are you OK with the suburbs? As you have probably figured out it's pretty easy to get around Grand Rapids. So 20 minutes from just about anywhere can get you downtown. I know a decent amount about the different apartment communities around the area and can certainly give you some insight. I just need to know a little bit more about what you're looking for (aside from pet friendly ), what's important to you about where you live (aside from being safe ) and I can certainly give you some suggestions.

Also if you have some questions about specific areas we can certainly help you with that too. It's hard to get a good idea online about what's good, and what to avoid. For the most part there aren't too many spots in the metro area to be concerned about safety-wise.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:10 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Generally speaking, in the Midwest you are not going to be paying anywhere near $1600/month unless you're looking at prime/most desirable areas in Chicago.

How about trying some apartment sites to find companies that specialize in professional relocation and temporary housing? Many large apartment complexes, those that are part of national brands or are corporate owned, specialize in the short-term leases you are seeking.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:25 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
Check out The Gallery.

I stayed there for 2 months before closing on my house and loved it.

They were great.

Just remember to add in parking costs to the rent. It should still be less than your $1600/month budget.

When I stayed there in 2013 it was $900/month for a 1 bedroom. That number is probably closer to $1300/month now. GR prices have gotten a little out of hand in the past couple years.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Generally speaking, in the Midwest you are not going to be paying anywhere near $1600/month unless you're looking at prime/most desirable areas in Chicago.

How about trying some apartment sites to find companies that specialize in professional relocation and temporary housing? Many large apartment complexes, those that are part of national brands or are corporate owned, specialize in the short-term leases you are seeking.
Hate to say it, but you're absolutely wrong. GR is getting as pricey as Chicago, if not more!

Many 2 bedroom apartments in downtown GR are over $1600/month. A lot of the "luxury" 1 bedroom places start at 1200 and go up into the 2000s.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:02 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post

Yeah you're off base here. A 2 bedroom in the GR suburbs goes anywhere from $1050-$2500. The average is around $1300. They start at $1700 in the city. You can get them cheaper but you start sacrificing both amenities and neighborhood very quickly.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
I don't live in an apartment, but I think the West Side is getting to be the new cool area to live. 616 Lofts on Alabama just opened recently:

616 Lofts on Alabama Apartments in Grand Rapids, MI 49504 - RENTCafé

Barley Flats next to New Holland Brewing Co is just about to open too:

Barley Flats | Apartments in Grand Rapids, MI | RENTCafe

If it helps at all, in the downtown and near downtown area you pay on average about $1.80 - $2.00/sf right now.

And while you CAN find apartments in Chicago for $2/sf, that's pretty much the starting price point for any neighborhood near downtown or a transit center.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,981 times
Everyone - Thank you very much. All information will come in handy. I can't wait to get there. Wre not sure what to do yet. The suburbs or the city?. The sunburbs apartments are nice with garage, but lack convenience of downtown. The city seems to have everything we want less parking. I'm sure winter time in GR, parking will be essential and priceless. Location wise, I'm thinking East Grand Rapids area or a little more in the city. Been calling 616 on the Perl and The Barley loft and will go out and talk with them this week. Big issue is still parking. Not sure if that's going to be an issue. The other place that seems nice is Stone Falls of ADA. Will take a look but seem out of the city a bit? Anyone apartment in particular people raved about? BTw, apartment in GR is not cheap

Last edited by Thep; 11-27-2016 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thep View Post
Everyone - Thank you very much. All information will come in handy. I can't wait to get there. Wre not sure what to do yet. The suburbs or the city?. The sunburbs apartments are nice with garage, but lack convenience of downtown. The city seems to have everything we want less parking. I'm sure winter time in GR, parking will be essential and priceless. Location wise, I'm thinking East Grand Rapids area or a little more in the city. Been calling 616 on the Perl and The Barley loft and will go out and talk with them this week. Big issue is still parking. Not sure if that's going to be an issue. The other place that seems nice is Stone Falls of ADA. Will take a look but seem out of the city a bit? Anyone apartment in particular people raved about? BTw, apartment in GR is not cheap
Apartments downtown are not cheap. There are apartments in the "suburbs" that are fairly priced.

The influx of Chicagoans probably isn't helping there.

Parking is actually not too bad downtown. There are a ton of parking garages and they had very fair monthly prices(at least when I was there in 2013).

How long do you plan on staying in GR?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:12 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thep View Post
If you expand it to include suburban apartments, Stone Falls is nice. You might also try the new Ridges of Cascade. But yes they are a bit far from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area