U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:41 PM

196 posts, read 646,325 times

Advertisements

i've heard that Baxter, Heartside, Southwest area neighborhood, and South Division are not that great to move to. Are they really higher in crime, violent or not?

If anyone knows about these areas, please tell me what you think. I'd hate to move there and be unhappy – or not move there simply out of ignorance.

the rentals seem to be quite affordable in those areas. that's why I am considering those areas. currently an AA resident.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM

6,225 posts, read 5,502,027 times
Not sure about Baxter, but the rest are on the mark. They're trying to renovate South Division (looks quite a bit better, actually) but I'd go with the exurbs or smaller towns if you can. (but then, I like open spaces)

Also, any part of the city immediately west of the Grand River is pretty bad, in my view.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM

14,452 posts, read 12,689,595 times
Yeah, it is definitely not a really nice place to live on the direct outskirts of downtown grand rapids. The downtown area is very walkable.. even at night.. but don't buy a house just outside.. A nice little acecdote to go along with it.. my buddies had a house on Michigan and Eastern.. well they had a party (i left early) when a gang decided to show up and beat my friends down with crobars.. sent 4 of them to the hospital and almost killed one of my buddies, he had a cracked skull and was put in a coma for 3 days.

My advice is to live around 10 mins just outside of downtown and you'll be just fine. Grand Rapids isn't detroit.. but its bad areas can be very sketchy.. and it doesn't get much media cover.. in my opinion its a lot worse around there than it is made out to be. You have to watch out in buying/renting in certain areas around the dowtown area due to gangs "owning" that part of town. If you'd like any more help with the areas or whatnot feel free to pm me!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM

196 posts, read 646,325 times
burgler, that's a pretty awful story. I'm hear things like that happening in Detroit, but I never thought Grand Rapids could play host to that sort of trouble.. GR seems so peaceful to an outsider like me.

Also, can anyone shed more light on South Division? Is it a gang-infested area too? The properties appear reasonable in price.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:51 PM

20 posts, read 69,770 times
I really wouldn't advise a move to any of those areas. They are close to downtown which is nice, but you can find something that is 5-10 minutes farther away in a much better area. Stay away from the SE side.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM

695 posts, read 2,378,306 times
How about the John Ball Park area?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,138,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, it is definitely not a really nice place to live on the direct outskirts of downtown grand rapids. The downtown area is very walkable.. even at night.. but don't buy a house just outside.. A nice little acecdote to go along with it.. my buddies had a house on Michigan and Eastern.. well they had a party (i left early) when a gang decided to show up and beat my friends down with crobars.. sent 4 of them to the hospital and almost killed one of my buddies, he had a cracked skull and was put in a coma for 3 days.

My advice is to live around 10 mins just outside of downtown and you'll be just fine. Grand Rapids isn't detroit.. but its bad areas can be very sketchy.. and it doesn't get much media cover.. in my opinion its a lot worse around there than it is made out to be. You have to watch out in buying/renting in certain areas around the dowtown area due to gangs "owning" that part of town. If you'd like any more help with the areas or whatnot feel free to pm me!
Yikes, maybe it's farther away than it seems on a map, but we were looking at some houses just north of the Fulton St Cemetery when we were thinking about moving there.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 PM

695 posts, read 2,378,306 times
I know when we were there we turned north on Eastern Ave from Logan Street and the "Baxter Neighborhood" looked sort of rough, but overall, the city doesn't LOOK bad, but I guess some places are.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:58 PM

14,452 posts, read 12,689,595 times
The john ball park area isn't too bad, but it is hit or miss.. there are parts that are worse than others.. but the closer you are to john ball park the better the area. You are pretty safe as long as you are close to john ball. The further you move away from it the worse it gets. My advice is the more you move toward downtown from john ball the worse it gets, the more you move away from john ball away from downtown the better it is going to get.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 AM

783 posts, read 1,942,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Yikes, maybe it's farther away than it seems on a map, but we were looking at some houses just north of the Fulton St Cemetery when we were thinking about moving there.
My brother lives in that area near Grand and Fountain since 2000...he likes it. He said need to use commonsense like locking the car up, hide valuables from view, etc.

I get my haircut at Di Trapani's on the corner of Fulton and Diamond. I don't feel scared in either area.

You'll be very close to downtown, the highways, etc.

Is schools important? You are probably aware that GRPS has issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area