Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 PM

32 posts, read 135,773 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I am a recent (December 2007) graduate of Grand Valley State University with a degree in International Relations, and I am looking for a good career start. International Relations basically covers everything from political science to history to geography and business. I am interested in all of those things...I am in the Grand Rapids and am planning on staying here for the next couple of years and would really like to get started on a career. does anyone have any ideas or know of any recruiters I can get in touch with? you can DM me if need be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 AM

178 posts, read 700,030 times
I suggest moving to another state. You'd have a much easier time in Chicago and it's only about 6-7 hours away so you'd still be near family.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,771,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmi View Post
I suggest moving to another state. You'd have a much easier time in Chicago and it's only about 6-7 hours away so you'd still be near family.
6 - 7 hours? I can get to downtown Chicago from Grand Rapids in about 2:45.

readytojet, have you done any internships? Have any business contacts through family/friends? In this economy, the best way to find a job is by working your networks. You're not going to find much with a "general degree" by surfing careerbuilder or monster, or by going through a recruiter. Companies that hire recruiters are mainly looking for highly specialized individuals who are hard to reach through standard want ads.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM

845 posts, read 3,260,342 times
To follow what Magellan said, I've read that 80% of jobs are filled by people with some connection to someone working at the place they're going to. Find out where your friends work, your family members, your ex-professors, alumni from your school, etc.

Doesn't GVSU have some sort of career services department to help you out? Try them, they're professionals at finding recent grads their first job (if they exist at GVSU... I assume they do, all schools I've ever worked with have that function).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area