U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

The SE fine as long as you dont come across the tracks throwing up bemis then you'll have a problem
but if you want to live peacefully move to the NE side of town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,447,005 times
Area to avoid in Grand Rapids?

Kentwood.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM

16 posts, read 25,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Area to avoid in Grand Rapids?

Kentwood.
WHY???

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 855,241 times
I've lived hear all my life (grew up in Ada, live in Eastown, then lived in heritage hill 2 blocks from Wealthy and Division) and I've never considered anywhere to really be a "bad" area, sure there's crime but I've never encountered any scary areas like certain parts of Detroit or Chicago that I've been to.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 PM

109 posts, read 174,899 times
I agree. I do some of my shopping in the heartside and I have never truly felt threatened either. The city has cleaned it's self up quite a bit from 20 years ago. In certain areas of Detroit or Chicago I would be quite nervous about walking around in though some of that is misconceptions as a lot of people that are not city dwellers are it seems scared of the city to began with without truly knowing the city. For some people it is hard for them to get passed not every young city dweller wants to steal your money. Even I have found areas in different cities where I was at first cautious with areas I learned to find most interesting and attractive. Misconceptions can be a hard thing to get over with but with many moves comes much learning. All in all, even from many outsiders, Grand Rapids is considered to be a fairly safe city, though like anywhere, something bad can happen, but with city common sense, it can be a great thing being so close to everything the city has to offer. There is blessings from God in the city as well is the country.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times
Default Growing up in Grand Rapids Michigan.

I grew up in Wyoming Michigan and it was always interesting to drive down Division ave south. I have an aunt that lives in Burton Heights (49507) area of Grand Rapids and the only time my sister and I always got a kick out of seeing the pimps and hookers. We'd look out the windows and see the guys who were wearing the suits and hats and the hookers dressed in skimpy clothes and big heeled shoes. Their faces caked with make up. ,"Look at that lady!" My five year old sister said staring out the window of the car. It was winter and the hookers were still dressed up in skimpy clothes with big coats on. "Mommy, those girls are going to catch pneumonia!" My sister yelled. Mom would try to distract us by playing games like "I spy something that is blue." We'd look out the window and see a blue billboard sign outside and yell, "The sign!" And mom would say "Yep, you're right!" However we still looked at the hookers anyways. So, that was something I remember from my childhood. Any time we'd visit our aunt and cousins we'd look at the hookers and pimps. My mom had to explain to my kid sister what those women were. Well, thanks for the memories!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:34 PM

1,426 posts, read 2,592,210 times
This summarizes areas of Grand Rapids nicely: https://twitter.com/grnow/status/460...360322/photo/1

Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,864,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
This summarizes areas of Grand Rapids nicely: https://twitter.com/grnow/status/460...360322/photo/1

Hmm, Lowell is full of rednecks?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 AM

1,426 posts, read 2,592,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Hmm, Lowell is full of rednecks?
Perverts too! http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi..._river_default

Old 05-06-2019, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 124 times
In the 80's You would see hookers dressed to the hilt in short shorts and high heels. Just about on every corner. Now you cant even point them out. More homeless people now a days on Division than anything else. You are pretty safe on Division if you mind your own buisness and dont talk to anyone. Im not afraid of the city and never have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area